Local Newspaper

sonia owen

Hi All,

I have just seen an advert in our local paper,about a care home that is offering people over 50 to come in for a midday lunch on a Mon, Wed and Fri. I think I will try and book for me to take my Mum along, to see what she thinks. You can stay if you want to. Join in the afternoon's events.
This just might be a way of me getting Mum used to the idea of meals in care home. Could be a way of her getting to know the home as well. Its a good idea for people to get used to a place, if ever you need to use the place for short breaks etc.

Have a nice weekend all.
Love Sonia xxxx

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Sonia,

That is a really good idea.

I hope you and mum have a nice time.

Have a great weekend.

Love
Michele
xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
What a great idea and I can see it could develop into 'day care'; then when someone is comfortable with their peers a move to permanent care would become more acceptable.

This happened to my brother who was disabled in his 40s (not dementia) and after a few months of day care he was pleased to stay permanently. He has been happy there ever since.

Perhaps that is not their plan but let us know how you get on.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
It sounds a very innovative idea, but I do wonder how the permanent residents will feel about an invasion into their home 3 days a week. Hopefully they have a separate lounge where the visitors and clients can enjoy afternoon activities.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Sonia,
Sound like a great idea. I may be wrong, but I think you will find that there will be other homes too who will welcome a visit from you and your mum and will offer a free lunch and let her join in activities etc. We get lots of ads in our local paper by homes that are "recruiting" offering all sorts of incentives to attract visitors. But even ones that are not actively recruiting should be amenable to visits. But I can only talk from my experience in the south-east of England.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Sonia.
I have just copied this to the owners of my husband`s home. The home does not have an inviting outside appearance but is very different once you enter.
I think it`s a wonderful idea.

sonia owen

Hello Again

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies to my thread this morning. I have just giving the CH a call and booked our two places to have lunch on Monday at 12am. It's a three course meal, for £2.99. I don't know of anywhere around here where you can get a meal for that price, never mind a three coursed one. The lady asked if there was anything that we did'nt like. Mum doesnot like onions, so I mentioned that. She said thats fine.

It has been running for awhile she said. I myself think that the people who live there,ould enjoy mixing with new folks. Someone differant to chat with and new social skills.
Will let you know what I think of the visit.
Love Sonia xxxx