I'm new to this.

ANTOINETTE13

Jul 25, 2011
Hi my mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia in may after alot of perseverance from me.As my family didn't think any thing was wrong & the GP wasn't interested but finally they listened & referred her.Since the diagnosis she has been ok her memory is going but it is a slow process which is good:).Yesterday was very scary we finished eating dinner & she started to become really agitated picking arguments with everyone.Then she came agressive started talking jibberish & became violent she was like a totally different person it lasted for about 30 minutes then she went upstairs & came back down & acted like nothing had happened.We were all as calm as can be but it was so upsetting to see how she was pushing my dad he looked scared & just got up & walked out the room.Can anyone relate to this situation & any advice please.:eek:

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Antionette, hello and a warm welcome to Talking Point.
Yes, I'm afraid this is fairly common, it's hard to pinpoint reasons but fear can have a big part to play in aggressive behaviour.
I'm so sorry that you are going through this, you have done so very well to get a diagnosis and start learning about this awful disease, it is heartbreaking trying to come to terms with it, but for her the fear and anxiety must be terrible.
I look forward to hearing how things go for you and your family, and to seeing you around the site.
Welcome and best wishes from Jo

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Antoinette,

A warm welcome from me too:) Although my late husband didn't show aggression I have had contact with many carers whose 'cared for' has. It is very distressing for the carer(s) to witness and experience. I would suggest that you request a Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN) become involved as they will be experienced with this aspect of the illness and would be best placed to assess what is happening. Keep notes of these episodes (including dates and times). It might be useful in these notes to just make a note of what had happened during the day prior to the onset of the episode.

I do hope that you find yourself supported by Talking Point. It certainly has been a life-saver to me and to many.

Love

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Just the standard answer from me I'm afraid.....OOPS:eek::eek::eek: sorry, I should have said welcome and Hello,:) anyway, ask the GP if you can bring a sample of Mum's urine in for testing..a UTI can cause some very strange patterns of behaviour too. Speak soon, Maureen.

bulmer

Jul 7, 2011
welcome antoinette

I'm also new. I have found this site very informative and caring.My mum has not been violent,but very uncaring and argumentative. My advise is to learn as much as possible ,and be patient.:)

Soapflakes

Jun 20, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Hi ....

It must be so difficult, I remeber when my mum was first diagnosed, she hasn't recognised me as her daughter since 2009. She will sometimes get angry and upset but this is quite rare so I feel we are lucky. One day at a time and treasure the good ones ... but remember you're not in this alone there are lots of people here and some fabulous advice and support.

Take care.

ANTOINETTE13

Jul 25, 2011
Antionette, hello and a warm welcome to Talking Point.
Yes, I'm afraid this is fairly common, it's hard to pinpoint reasons but fear can have a big part to play in aggressive behaviour.
I'm so sorry that you are going through this, you have done so very well to get a diagnosis and start learning about this awful disease, it is heartbreaking trying to come to terms with it, but for her the fear and anxiety must be terrible.
I look forward to hearing how things go for you and your family, and to seeing you around the site.
Welcome and best wishes from Jo

Hello Antoinette,

A warm welcome from me too:) Although my late husband didn't show aggression I have had contact with many carers whose 'cared for' has. It is very distressing for the carer(s) to witness and experience. I would suggest that you request a Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN) become involved as they will be experienced with this aspect of the illness and would be best placed to assess what is happening. Keep notes of these episodes (including dates and times). It might be useful in these notes to just make a note of what had happened during the day prior to the onset of the episode.

I do hope that you find yourself supported by Talking Point. It certainly has been a life-saver to me and to many.

Love

Just the standard answer from me I'm afraid.....OOPS:eek::eek::eek: sorry, I should have said welcome and Hello,:) anyway, ask the GP if you can bring a sample of Mum's urine in for testing..a UTI can cause some very strange patterns of behaviour too. Speak soon, Maureen.

I'm also new. I have found this site very informative and caring.My mum has not been violent,but very uncaring and argumentative. My advise is to learn as much as possible ,and be patient.:)

It must be so difficult, I remeber when my mum was first diagnosed, she hasn't recognised me as her daughter since 2009. She will sometimes get angry and upset but this is quite rare so I feel we are lucky. One day at a time and treasure the good ones ... but remember you're not in this alone there are lots of people here and some fabulous advice and support.

Take care.

Hi Thankyou so much for your kind thoughts & advice it is very much appreciated look forward to speak to you some more.

Take care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laneyd