Afternoon All

sonia owen

Hi All,

Need some advice on what would be best to help my Mum at the moment.
We have a large clock on her kitchen wall, with the day and date under the hands of the clock.
The last week or so she has rang me. Today it was were are you Sonia, I have been waiting for you to come, to go out for dinner. Saturdays she has been going out with her friend for lunch and they spending the day together. We always take her out on Sundays for lunch without fail.

I think I really need to get maybe two small clock kind of things, to put one in the living room and one in her bedroom, to help more so with the actual day, more than the date and time at the moment. I know she would not like the big kitchen clock moved into the lounge area.
So any suggestions would be very helful. Not sure if our OT could even sort something out for us. They gave me two tablet dispensers, and a bath seat.

Thanks for any help.
Take care
Love Sonia xxxxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sonia:
There have been discussions about this before but I have no experience myself.
However I did just google Calendar Clocks and there are quite a few links. It may be worth you browsing to see if there is anything to suit your Mum.

I will search previous Threads and will come back if I find anything. Others may come along soon too.

Best wishes

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Sonia – if it’s what day of the week rather than date or time mum is ‘muddled with’, I would not invest in any other kind of clock.

I managed for a couple of years buying my mother a weekly paper on a Saturday which had a ‘TV Guide’ accompanying it. Said TV Guide had very large lettering on each page :) .... she actually grasped having to turn over the pages each day and left the guide open by her armchair .... (couldn’t always work out how to switch the TV on but the guide served a good purpose otherwise!:rolleyes:)

You can buy/make 'perpetual calendars' .... just need a spiral bound affair with seven pages (in this case) ... as long as mum is able to recall having to ‘flip them’ each day ... or maybe you need to prompt her (by telephone?)

‘Duplicate diaries’ help .... if you are on hand enough to keep them up-to-date. Give some sense of independence and control too. Any mornings I didn’t visit mum directly, I would always call her ..... ‘Do you remember you have the chiropodist coming? / Your buddy is taking you to .....?’ Oh yes, she’d say, with great confidence! :) Little fibber!:D

Love, Karen, x

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Sonia,

We got mum a thing called a day clock. Literally it just has the days of the week on it, and changes each day. It did work for mum for quite a while. When she used to phone me not knowing what the day was I used to ask her to look at the day clock on wall and tell me what it said. This did work for a while.

I can't remember what site we got it from, but if you do a search for Day Clocks, it will come up. I know it wasn't very expensive either.

I hope you find something that will work for mum.

Love
michele
xxx

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Forgot to say -

Hi Sonia,

I forgot to say, the other thing that worked for mum for a while, was me phoning her every morning and telling her what the day was. This seemed to work for a while also.

love
Michele
xxx

sonia owen

Thanks for all your advice

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments about helping my Mum with her problem of remembering what day it is.
Its not the fact of her looking at her daily paper or kitchen wall clock. Its that she has most likely foprgotten how to look in this way.

I have seen a smaller clock in Homebase, which has each day on a red back ground, I know it still has the time as well, but the day is very clear to see. Its nearly £50, but if it will help over come this problem even for awhile then it has got to be a good idea for me to get her one. Can be kept in the lounge.
Take care
Love Sonia xxxx