One Life

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The programme was already a repeat, so I'd guess that we won't be seeing it again very soon.

I only spotted that it would be broadcast early the same evening and posted a note to that fact in Tea Room. However, since I had seen it the first time, I didn't record it.

Amanda1954

Nov 5, 2006
Leicester
I caught it almost from the beginning I think, just by accident. It was like watching me and my mother, the similarities to our situation were staggering. I found it very interesting and I learnt several things - that is that everyone is different, no-one knows how to react by instinct, we sometimes get it wrong, there is no right or wrong way to handle any situation.

I was very touched when the daughter said that it was like a very slow grieving process - it seemed to sum it up so well. Very slowly, over a period of time, I am losing my mother as I knew her.

It just shows how we should cherish those we love while we still have them, even if we don't always get on! Like Mike Rutherford (Mike & The Mechanics) sang - 'It's too late when we die to admit we don't see eye to eye'.
;)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya,
I watched it and was jealous of what they had. Mum has MID (vascular) and does not seem to have had that awareness of her situation - I cannot remember being able to discuss it, or joke about things. Don't get me wrong - that awareness must also make it truly terrible at times, I understand that. I so miss my mum.
Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I watched it for the 2nd time and thought the mother was jollying everything along just too much. I really felt she was trying to put a brave face on it, but if she hadn`t laughed, she certainly would have cried. The British `Stiff upper lip`, came to mind.
I felt the daughter showed her true emotions and was going along with her mother`s show of bravery, to humour her, but was, at times, shocked and very upset.
I feel a bit judgemental writing this, but don`t want to be. I just wondered how much was for the cameras.

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
My Mum has multi-infarct dementia and is now in hospital talking complete nonsense. I found this programme compulsive viewing although I knew it would upset me..and it did...the input from the daughter was of most interest to me and I try myself to be as honest as I can with Mum. There was so much in the film and so much left out...no need to know how its all turned out because we are all living that with our Mums etc. I wish I could laugh with Mum who has turned into an unpredictable toddler at times and there are rare glimpses of the Mum inside but not often.
I guess the daughter will have these images to look at in years to come...I hope she can bear to watch.

perfectpatience

Oct 3, 2006
Essex
Re One Life

The programme One Life was a repeat I know...but I wondered if the BBC are going to follow up the progression of this illness. Does anyone know how this lady is at the present time? Filming for this must have taken place a while ago now...I just wondered how she is now. I thought it was brilliant...so many things to relate to.

p.s. My mum is still holding on. She is so poorly. She went into a new nursing home on Tue...and I dread going in to see her...she is like a skeleton lying there. I know it is going to be anytime now....but no one knows when. They have put her on a drip (with needle in the stomach) but yesterday they told me she has a very bad chest infection. I noticed her legs are now restricted and bent...and it is very painful for her to be moved now. I feel so helpless. Love PP xx

Helena

May 24, 2006
I can barely face even going to see my Mother in a such a pitiful state
I dont know how Doctors live with themselves prolonging the misery and the agony of people they know all too well are dying in a matter of weeks or months anyway

I believe what my Mother is enduring breaches her Human Roghts of Dignity and respect

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
I realise that everyone is at different stages and states of awareness, my Dad included, but the most poignant part of the programme for me was the scene on the beach. The mother was swimming in the sea (her favourite activity) and her daughter posed the unanswerable question of whether she should tell her mother that in the past she had said that she wanted to swim to her death.

perfectpatience - if you follow Sandy's link to the BBC write-up, it gives an update:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/onelife_series6prog1.shtml

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks for that link Hazel. On reading it I realize I was too harsh in my criticism of the mother. Although I find it really hard to come to terms with, it seems some people CAN live `happily` with Alzheimers.
Sylvia

tubbie

Nov 1, 2006
Cambridge
The lady in the documentary is the Mum of a friend of a colleague (are you keeping up ...?!) so I will ask my colleague how the lady is doing and get back to you soon.

tubbie