new development re respite.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Mum drropped a bombshell today,she wants Dad to go into permanent care and she wants him gone before she's discharged from hospital.
Things terribly fraught,years of resentment spilled over.It's not the decision she's made that I am so upset about bur the way she's done it.We've asked and asked how she wanted to proceed but now we're dumped into a crisis and the person to suffer will be my poor Dad.I can't bear the thought of packing all his stuff up and removing him from his home.In meantime still have to try to persuade him to go into respite,3 places to see tomorrow.
Thanks to all who replied to previous post,it is some comfort to know here are others who understsnd

willsar

Dec 27, 2010
not a huge comfort to you, but as someone who has made a huge balls up with their husbands care:-( may I suggest that it is yours mother desperation to do right in the past that has lead to this seemingly rash decision and because she cannot cope that she has seemingly passed the decision to others. As I said no help to you, but maybe a cry for help from her:-( sorry

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Hi, im in the same position as you, dad with dementia, mum had a stroke. She was the exact same, years of past resentment boiled over into an ultimatum from her. If dad was brought back to the home she would kill herself. I told her to stop being so melodramatic, my dad had every right to be brought home. She made his (and my) life a misery and even tried concocting stories of things he did/said or whatever. I got constant phonecalls from her hes done/this/that/whatever. To be honest mum was the worst of the two to look after. I got a final ultimatum one day that a home was the only answer. Fed up to the back teeth, i told mum i agreed only i was putting HER in the home not him, because she had the biggest problem with it. She stopped her complaining after that. I wouldnt remove dads things and put him into care until youve found somewhere suitable and are happy with it whether it means mum staying in hospital longer or not. Why is she the one who youve to side with because ultimately thats what shes asking you to do. Has she organised care for herself? Does she realise how hard its going to be for the person who has to look after her? Does she expect you to do it? She thinks the answer lies in your dad being removed from the home but its not going to be thats easy. It wont be the end of her problems, instead she'll be passing her problems on to you. If she doesnt want to care for dad, why does she think anyone will want to care for her. Its two sides of the one coin. My mum thought her life would be wonderful after dad went into care eventually, the reality is she has no quality of life whatsoever, shes alone all day and night, cant do anything for herself and sits in a chair all day till carers come in and put her to bed and is lonely and miserable. I had to tell her straight, she got what she wanted. An ultimatum to remove dad before she comes home isnt fair on you either. You shouldnt have to be piggy in the middle, i think its time to sit down with your mum and tell her things will have to change but removing your dad to somewhere before your ready isnt an option. She will have to deal with it until youve had time to explore all avenues and find a place that your dad will be happy in and that you feel is adequate for his needs. It takes time to organise this, and if youre lucky enough to find a good place, theres finance, funding and all sorts to work out before he can be admitted. I dont think your mums being fair putting all this on you. If she cant deal with him still being in the house, maybe putting her into respite would be a better idea until its all sorted. Time for tough love im afraid, its not easy, but you have to look at this from both sides, otherwise if you make the wrong decision, its you that will feel guilty and that the last thing you want. This illness is so cruel to sufferer and carer alike, and sadly things do get worse as time goes on, thats why you need to be absolutely certain youve made the right choices. i wish you well x

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Hi, im in the same position as you, dad with dementia, mum had a stroke. She was the exact same, years of past resentment boiled over into an ultimatum from her. If dad was brought back to the home she would kill herself. I told her to stop being so melodramatic, my dad had every right to be brought home. She made his (and my) life a misery and even tried concocting stories of things he did/said or whatever. I got constant phonecalls from her hes done/this/that/whatever. To be honest mum was the worst of the two to look after. I got a final ultimatum one day that a home was the only answer. Fed up to the back teeth, i told mum i agreed only i was putting HER in the home not him, because she had the biggest problem with it. She stopped her complaining after that. I wouldnt remove dads things and put him into care until youve found somewhere suitable and are happy with it whether it means mum staying in hospital longer or not. Why is she the one who youve to side with because ultimately thats what shes asking you to do. Has she organised care for herself? Does she realise how hard its going to be for the person who has to look after her? Does she expect you to do it? She thinks the answer lies in your dad being removed from the home but its not going to be thats easy. It wont be the end of her problems, instead she'll be passing her problems on to you. If she doesnt want to care for dad, why does she think anyone will want to care for her. Its two sides of the one coin. My mum thought her life would be wonderful after dad went into care eventually, the reality is she has no quality of life whatsoever, shes alone all day and night, cant do anything for herself and sits in a chair all day till carers come in and put her to bed and is lonely and miserable. I had to tell her straight, she got what she wanted. An ultimatum to remove dad before she comes home isnt fair on you either. You shouldnt have to be piggy in the middle, i think its time to sit down with your mum and tell her things will have to change but removing your dad to somewhere before your ready isnt an option. She will have to deal with it until youve had time to explore all avenues and find a place that your dad will be happy in and that you feel is adequate for his needs. It takes time to organise this, and if youre lucky enough to find a good place, theres finance, funding and all sorts to work out before he can be admitted. I dont think your mums being fair putting all this on you. If she cant deal with him still being in the house, maybe putting her into respite would be a better idea until its all sorted. Time for tough love im afraid, its not easy, but you have to look at this from both sides, otherwise if you make the wrong decision, its you that will feel guilty and that the last thing you want. This illness is so cruel to sufferer and carer alike, and sadly things do get worse as time goes on, thats why you need to be absolutely certain youve made the right choices. i wish you well x

Thank you for that,it's obvious now you've said it.My Dad hasn't changed over the last week and is nowhere near ready for any of the places we saw today.Will contact social worker tomorrow and explain that if my Dad is to go into care it will be done properly,not arranged over a weekend.If needs be I will take unpaid leave from work to look after him,was prepared to do the same to look after them both until we could right support in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch