What's the best way to recruit carers?

RCT

Nov 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi,

I'm a trainee clinical psycholgist and I'm carrying out my doctorate research looking at well-being in people who are carers for their partners with dementia. I'm therefore looking for carers who can fill in questionnaire packs. I'm currently getting help from some of the Alzheimer's Society's outreach workers; who have been fantastic. However, I would like to spread my recruitment wider, and I am not sure what the best method would be.

I really wanted to ask whether there are methods of recruitment which anyone had used that worked well? Or whether there were methods of recruitment which carers really don't like? Or just generally if people have any advce?

Thank you,

Ruth

pembie

Mar 4, 2006
South Wales
Hi Ruth,

Why don't you contact your local branches, talk to the Chairperson and offer to make a presentation to a carer's group on the work that clinical psychologists do, in particular how they may be able to help people with dementia and their carers.

As long as they don't get the impression you're only interested in recruiting them, you may find that there will be some who are willing to be involved with your research.

Good Luck

Tricia