New, lost and worried

canuhelp11

Jun 16, 2011
Pebbles
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and would really like to get help and info from people in the same position as me. I am worried that dementia is kind of genetic in my family. After losing so many people close to me, I sometimes feel the same will happen to me. I'm starting to have no taste to life and fear that I will end up like my gran, uncles, aunts, cousins etc.. I'm just in my early 30s and it's been eating me up lately.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to TP.

I am so sorry you feel so lost and worried about how dementia could affect you , especially as you have experienced it within your family.

This is a factsheet which may help you understand it more fully:

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=168

My own thoughts are for our daughters. With research ongoing I hope that future generations can look forward to improved medication and hopefully a cure or a means of prevention. Please try to enjoy every moment of what you have now.

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
It is worrying. My mum is only 63. Both my sister and I have discussed the possibility that we too could end up with this cruel disease. Mum has not got an official diagnosis as such which in a way makes it harder. Some types of dementia have genetic links, others dont hence it would be helpful to know which type mum has.
Having watched this disease rob my mum of so many aspects of her life it has made me determined to live life to the full

canuhelp11

Jun 16, 2011
Pebbles
Thanks for the info Becky I really appreciate you sending me these links. It's just that I often can't help but think that I'll follow the same path. Despite being healthy now, at times I just feel like my destiny has been traced for me. Of course I can't talk to anyone about it but it really eats me up. The other day I was reading stuff on stem cells and am how you can ban yours etc for future use. Has anyone heard of this?

Kazza73 have you also heard of this before? What do you do to get your mind off it? The thought of it often makes me not hope for the future. Do you feel the same?

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Hi there,

Quite honestly I dont really dwell on this aspect of genetics too much and am wondering if there is something else in your life you are lacking to be dwelling on this to such an extent it might be interfering with your enjoyment of life now.

How are the rest of your family coping with this same information - can you talk to anyone else in the family or are you on your own with this?

I am not saying it hasnt crossed my mind but I take the view I have to get on with my life and enjoy what I can whilst I can and anyway life is not just about genetic inheritance I mean I could be out and squashed by a bus or have some other accident and that wouldnt be anything to do with genes would it? or I might just pass away in my sleep in bed aged 150 years - who knows!
Make the most of the in-between hatched and despatched!;)

p.s. if you are still feeling depressed and anxious have you thought about talking to your own GP because if it is clinical depression it can be treated.

Last edited:

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi there,

I, too, have worried about this from time to time. I did our family tree for Mum to help her with her memory and it seems most of my elderly relatives eventually succumbed to dementia or 'senile decay' as it was called way back.

We also have a strong history of mental illness in our family, I have a brother and a sister with a diagnosis of schizophrenia and I suffer with periods of depression myself. My daughter also suffers.

I think the thing which keeps me sane is the thought that there is hope for the future. I have strong religious beliefs but even if you don't have these, there are breakthroughs all the time in medicine. Just this week there was the revelation that simple pain killers can help with the agitation that dementia sufferers experience.

Do have a chat with your GP. He/she could reassure you about the genetics, could help you with any depression which this worry is causing you and could advise you on anything you can do to minimise the risk.

Even a genetic predisposition to dementia could perhaps be postponed by a good diet and regular exercise.

Please don't let this ruin the best part of your life right now.
And don't be afraid to pm me if I can help alleviate the worry.

Hugs,

Maggie