Chiropody

Marilyn2

Jan 6, 2011
Just a quick question that someone may be able to help with. We visited Mum in her Nursing Home last week and noticed that her toenails looked very long. Mum is a diabetic. We wrote to the Manager (who was not on duty at the time) and asked when Mum was due to see the chiropodist. She has now replied saying that the Chiropodist saw Mum 6 weeks ago (no exact date given) and is coming again later this week.

This seems a long time to wait to have toenails cut. Is this a normal interval between visits?

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Hi there, I can't answer for care homes but Mum and Dad both see the NHS chiropodist at home and that is about every six weeks, if they're getting a little long I've an industrial clipper (only kidding, it's only from Boots:)) and give them a little trim but mostly they are fine.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm assuming this is an NHS chiropodist? Many areas seem to have this problem although that's not in any way reassuring. It's one reason why so many people get private chiropodists to visit, I'm afraid.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has a private chiropodist who deals with the home she's in but that's the way it works here. As a matter of fact, I'm finding Mum's toenails seem to be growing at a quicker rate lately and am waiting to hear back from the chiropodist as to whether we should increase the frequency. Currently her toes are clipped every 8 weeks.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Mum had hers done every 6 weeks privately (6 weeks being their recommendation) and now has them done ever 6 weeks at daycare, so it would seem the norm. However everyone is an individual and maybe your mum needs them doing more often.

ps: My horses have their feet trimmed every 6 weeks as well in the winter, but need doing every 5 weeks in the summer as they grow quicker :rolleyes:

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Yes, Brian too used to have his done every six weeks when he was at home, and on the same time scale in the nursing home. I understand this to be the norm - but my own need doing more often than that.:)

Love, Nan XXX

Marilyn2

Jan 6, 2011
- but my own need doing more often than that.:)

Love, Nan XXX

Yes, mine too:). Thanks everyone - perhaps I don't need to worry if this is the norm. I'll find out where the chiropodist comes from (NHS or private) and see if I can find a way to ask her opinion about frequency.

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
NHS Chiropodists are becoming as rare as a blue moon so why I wonder is this - it does take a lot of money to train to become a Chiropodist and courses are sparse throughout the country but footcare is important especially for diabetics so it sounds like it is going to be rather like NHS dentists- a disappearing breed although both are very important to health. Even getting a good private one is like gold dust who wants to deal with people who have dementia.

exbloomer

Jul 1, 2011
Just a quick question that someone may be able to help with. We visited Mum in her Nursing Home last week and noticed that her toenails looked very long. Mum is a diabetic. We wrote to the Manager (who was not on duty at the time) and asked when Mum was due to see the chiropodist. She has now replied saying that the Chiropodist saw Mum 6 weeks ago (no exact date given) and is coming again later this week.

This seems a long time to wait to have toenails cut. Is this a normal interval between visits?
Hi Marilyn, I'm a private chiropodist and visit a lot of people with dementia type problems and 6 to 8 weeks is usually about the right time. If you are looking for a private practitioner I would suggest you go to The Institute of Chiropodists & Podiatrists to look for someone local to your area. Best of luck with Mum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95