Mum is driving me MAD

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Mum finally settled about 2am she woke a few times in the night but soon settled
She was up at 8.30 so not to bad she is back to her old self this morning but that's the norm going out with my brother today and meeting up with nephew and family so we will see what happens later I guess this rules out infection love larivy

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Yes Berties coming my Grt nephew just loves him and he wouldn't talk to me if I didn't take him:D hope toms behaving love larivy

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I hope you have a good day, too. Hope the weather is brighter than here although I think you will enjoy family around you anyway. Some pictures would be good.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Also hoping you have a good day. The weather is beautiful here but mum is still sleeping so goodness knows if we'll ever get out today. x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hope you have a good day today, Larivy. My mum used to be a bit umpty if she was constipated. Do you think that might be a consideration? Take care of yourself today. How are those shoulders of yours?

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Larivy,

my thoughts go out to you! I know how hard it is to cope if you don't get any sleep, or even any time to yourself. Dad has phases of not knowing who anyone is, and of crying over everyone he's lost. In his case, it's often going back to the second world war, and people who were killed in the blitz. The trouble is, he would never talk about the bad times, so we really don't know what happened. If it's any consolation, this seems to pass after a few days.

I hope you're having a good day with your family. Take care,

Love and hugs

Sue xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Larivy - what I said about the memory book - take it with a pinch of salt!!!! For the last hour or more I've been getting the questions over and over and over again. I've used the memory book and it calms her for a short time but she's now got more and more questions about the book!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Hope you have a better night tonight! xx

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Well in between the rain we had a good day mum started asking where every one was around 2pm no matter what we said she still kept asking she kept asking where I was even though I was feeding her :eek: I think it upset my brother he kept telling her where every one was but of course that didn't work she asked where my sil was (someone she remembers when she don't know me) she was in front of her when we said where she was she said I didn't recognise her I think it is beginning to sink in with my brother but he was still making excuses for her
We are home now but she does not know it and has asked when we are going home:eek: here we go again
Sorry memory book not working for you Izzy it's so hard trying to think of things to try:eek:Hope both mums settle down but I don't think I will be holding my breath love larivy

nocturne

Nov 23, 2009
Yorkshrie
What you are going through is agonisingly similar to the problems i had just before i had to accept that I could no longer care for mum at home. It was absolutely draining and I was so exhausted I could hardly stand up at times. It's not just the lack of sleep it is the strain of trying to think up answers which will satisfy them or distraction techniques which frequently don't work. It hurts when they don't know who you are. Mum used to say " I know you're Janet but you're not my Janet". She used to worry that "her Janet" was not home from school when she should have been!
I used to ring people who I thought might be able to reassure her but it never worked. The best I could ever do was to try to step into her world and make up a story about her Janet staying with friends. Then she would want ME to leave as she could not go to bed with a "stranger" in her house.
I really do sympathise with you and understand exactly how you must be feeling right now. Mum did have brighter spells in amongst the bad ones. Like you I would take mum out shopping or for lunch and she would be happy and almost like the old mum. Then we would be right back to square one by evening. Deborah's point about constipation might be worth considering. I often felt that she was more confused and distressed at times when I suspected that she was badly consitpated though it's a pretty difficult thing to check up on.
I hope that you get a quieter night tonight. You need the rest. I can't offer any advice as I never found a solution myself. What I can say, if it gives any comfort, is that this seemed to be a phase with mum. After a few months she seemed much more aware of who I was and stopped wondering where "her" Janet was.
Best wishes for a more peaceful time ahead.
Jan

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Thanks all mum is not constipated Deborah I really think it is a down turn she is now up having tea and insisting she goes round her sisters:eek: her last sister died about 6years ago I've managed talking her out of getting dressed but not sure how long that's going to last
I think I will phone elderly care where mum is under tomorrow and see if they have any ideas Love larivy

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Thanks Sylvia I'm going to try giving mum her tablets earlier first to see if that helps she settled about 2am was up at 6 but settled in my room till 8am I usually give her tablets about half hour before she goes to bed so i will try a couple of hours earlier larivy

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi Larivy,

hope you get some help today. You must be exhausted, mentally and physically. I don't have any answers, but want you to know that I'm thinking of you.

Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I usually give her tablets about half hour before she goes to bed so i will try a couple of hours earlier
I think that is well worth trying

Ive also been wondering if your mum is trying to stay up with you, much as young children do .

I do hope you get some answeres that help you as I know only to well
what this is like for you, got the T shirt:D I too didnt find anything that really helped but luckily it was a phase, a long one but it did eventually pass

you coul also try Admiral nurses national helpline
I will look up the number and put it here