Fall from hospital bed!

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Mum's admission has been crazy so far, for the background read "six hours for an ambulance" in the Tea-room.

On my previous thread I did not mention that once when I visited MUm she was sat in a wet nightie where she had tried to pour some water, The fact she would probably not have realised she was then supposed to drink it is by the by. Nor did I mention that her food intake chart has not been filled in for yesterday,or that her arms and legs have felt constantly cold to the touch despite me taking in two fleeces for her. So to this morning, about 8.10 I had a call to tel me Mum had fallen out of bed in the night they thought she may have hit her head so were taking her for a CT scan. On her records I had seen a risk assessmnet saying she was at risk of falling out of bed and should be considered for a low level bed. When she came back from the scan I felt they were obviouly panicking because they bought her back with a special warm air blanket thing on her, and found her a hi-lo bed really fast. I was still angry though my husband went to see the hospital social workers they asked me what I wanted them to do and I said assure me that my Mum will be safe. The SW said I appeared to be scared to leave my Mum I said of course I was so far it was clear they were making inadequate efforts to feed her and had allowed her to fall out of bed. I felt (and feel) I need to be there to look after her. I said I would like bed rails or my Mum's bed put against a wall.They asked me why I thought that would help and I said as there are two sides to a bed it would reduce the risk of a fall by 50%! Then they said they are not allowed to do that anyway. One of the nurses was telling me Mum is getting the best possible care and she could only work within
the guidelines they are given, I said I just didn't understand why no dementia patient is allowed bed rails as they are all different, she was asking what I had a prolem with. I said my Mum's safety and she said she had explaiined and Mum was getting the best care, I also said I was worried Mum was not eating when I was not there her notes said she was refusing food but I was ableto feed her . The nurse said they always make time to feed people who need help, which makes what happened later very sad. I said I was too emotional to discuss it and would come back to it ianother time, but she kept asking why I had a problem. In the end I said I did not beleive in abuse of NHS staff and had no desire to be accused of being abusive in case they stopped me seeing Mum and I was going back to see her, which I did.
Dinner was served very early about 11.45 there wasn't much of a choice for people who might be slow eaters, or particulalry weak like Mum but there was chocolate pudding with custard and I got her to eat a whole bowlful! Another elderly lady had a nurse sit iwth her and tell her she had to eat of she would not get well, she needed vitamins etc. I think she offerd the lady one or two mouthfuls but the old lady said she did not like it and twenty minutes later the meals was removed untouched - I know there were serious concerns about how much this pateint had yesterday and that as in my Mum's case viistors she had yesterday afternoon actually managed to get her to drink a fortisip! God knows I don't think Mum will have another bite to eat or drink unitl I go in again tomorrow. I normally trumpet the NHS for all I'm worth but this is a diabolical situation and a massive illustration of the poor care that sometimes exists in hospitals. The latest thing is that I had a call late this afternoon telling me it will be at least Sunday before my Mum is moved to the local dementia ward!
Weeks ago my uncle was in this same hospital and suffered similarly poor care being sat by a window with a broken blind when the weather was hot, being sat on a chair with no wings even though he could not sit up straight alone, and again with issues surrounding feeding.

I'm not sure where to take this yet we have already instigated a complaint into the length of time the ambulance took

nocturne

Nov 23, 2009
Yorkshrie
Goodness, this is so reminiscent of my problems with mum in hospital before Christmas. I had just posted a reply on your "nutritional" thread when I saw this. Mum never fell out of bed but was left soaking wet and icy cold. I could not go in for 3 days after her admission as I went down with noro virus, probably picked up waiting with her in A&E! She was pushed into a side ward, in room with a specially low temperature as it was designed for some particular patients needs. Not the needs of an immobile, dementia suffering 88 year old lady. She was left sitting in a chair with no dressing gown on and she was icy cold. Her lips were blue. Her charts showed her fluid intake over the 3 days to have been 10ml. on each of two days and nothing on the other. Well, I sssume nothing as it had not been filled in at all. Her lips were cracked and bleeding, her skin was flaking, she could not talk, she could hardly prise her lips apart so had no chance of drinking and she was virtually comatose. When I said surely she should have been on a drip, the answer I got from the nurse was "I was wondering that myself". She went to get the staff nurse who just told me mum was in end stage dementia and that was why she could not talk and they could not give her the medication she needed as she could not or would not open her mouth due to Dementia. I was furious and eventually got them to arrange a drip. I refused to go until she was hooked up to it. That was 6 hours later at 8.30, half an hour after visiting hours. I was not popular. It took 48 hours for her to start to come round and it was a very slow process but they had to admit i had been right and I did get an apology but that was all.
Mum got moved to the medical ward after my complaint. They did their best but were woefully understaffed. They simply did not have time to sit long enough with mum to feed her or ensure she was drinking. However, the staff nurse in charge was very reasonable and said that if I was willing to come in at lunch and tea to feed mum it would help them as well as her. I did this for 3 weeks. I stayed through visiting hours in the afternoon as well sometimes as mum did get thristy then and if the nurses were busy with her when the tea trolley came she could get missed out. Also if she said no to tea she did not get it. She did not realise that she did not have to pay so dare not say yes! They do not understand dementia.
As far as falling out of bed is concerned they dare not give them rails in case they clamber over them and have a worse fall. They did let mum hve them as with her broken hip she was not getting up without a lot of help.
I was appalled at how long it took for them to react when she needed wheeling to the toilet or at least to be given a bedpan. The consultant's answer was to put a catheter in. It caused her immense distresss and she ended up with a UTI! They also left her sitting right next to an open window in the middle of December with temperatures well below freezing and snow on the ground.It was a nightmare.
When you feel calm enough get your complaints in writing and submit them to the consultant and the chief executive or whatever the title is of the person in charge of the hospital. It's the only way to stop them ignoring you. I put all my questions in writing and that was when I got action. I was perfectly polite but it showed up all the failures and if mum had died it would not have looked good for them. Maybe that's why they were so accommodating when mum moved to the medical ward!
Everything you said to them is pure common sense but, sadly, this is a commodity which seems lacking in the NHS.
The SW who can't see why you are concerned must be very thick or under instruction to cause maximum irritation to relatives to get them to give up. Just reading your post is getting my blood pressure up! I can feel all the anger I was going through a few months ago and wish there was something I could do or say to help. I just hope that the move you want happens as soon as possible and that your mum will be better off there. Maybe they will be glad to get her out soon just to get you off their backs.
I really do feel for you and will keep my fingers virtually crossed for a quicker move than anticipated and a happier outcome there. Good luck with your complaint.
Jan

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Today....

Just rang and asked if I can go in and feed Mum outside of visiting hours. There led was a little hesitation unitl I said I am taking scrambled egg, and baked beans, strawberry mousse, vanilla complan, and pineapple juice to aid salivation. Suddenly they
can't wait for me to arrive - just feel sorry for the other old lady who probably won;t eat again today. Do you think if I see her relatives I should say something?

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hallo, Bristolbelle, and I would answer "Yes" to that last question, I am sure the relatives would want to know.

With regard to the hospital's shortcomings in caring for your mother, make notes of everything. Even if you do nothing about it straight away because you are feeling too upset about it, write down times of day, what happened or failed to happen, etc.. I, too, made an official complaint against the NHS about Brian's care. I have already had a letter of apology but part of the complaint is still ongoing. The more these things are drawn to the attention of The Powers That Be, the better.

Love, Nan XXX

ceabea

Aug 31, 2010
wolverhampton west mids
don't give up

Please don't stop bringing this to their attention. I had exactlly the same with my mother, she ended up having a fall and breaking her hip in the dementia ward. they thought that it was right to preserve her dignaty by leaving her alone in a room on a commode. she had limited mobility and a broken foot was doubly inncontinent. and was always saying she was going to catch the bus home. and after being asked by me to be aware that she would think she could walk they still saw fit to leave her balanced on a commode on her own in a room. once the sad part is she was trying to wipe herself. she could never have done that. she had the fall and broke her arm and hip. she then suffered the same as in not being fed or given drinks and not being turned resulting in the most horrendous bed sores ect. I lost my mom through in my opinion shear neglect. dont let this happen again. I am furious now, its 5 weeks since mom died and anger is setting in. I am now taking legal advice. I cry when I think there are others still going through this. I send you my best wishes
Chris xx

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Today things were better.....

Today things were better, for a start I think it's a staff nurse? But the one today has a mother with advanced alziemhers so she was incredibly sympathetic. Her food chart was filled in and the half empty fortisip bottle on her table evidence she had had something. I managed to get her to eat about 3/4 of a scrambled egg with two tablespoons of baked beans mashed in as well as a whole portion of chocolate complan (about 1,400 calories:D) and a few sips of fresh pineapple juice.
She was sat in a chair and several times woke enough not only to eat but to try and talk and to wave at my daughter, she was very smiley when alert. The only problem was that as she was in the chair the blanket was falling off her and she was quite cold to the touch again They confirmed that she is supposed to move to the local dementia ward tommorrow so fingers crossed. The other old lady I was concerned about also had an empty fortisip bottle in front of her and the remains of some food that had been tackled but I could not tell how much had gone.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Bristolbelle, I'm glad to hear your mum has got some food inside her!! :D I hope she'll be very well looked after when she moves to the other place.

I sent you a PM reply, thanking you for the additional care home info, but it never appeared in my "Sent items" folder in spite of sending it 3 times! So, thank you, and sorry if you now have 3 copies of it! :eek:

:D

nocturne

Nov 23, 2009
Yorkshrie
I'm glad your mum seems to be responding well to your efforts to feed her. I hope that when you visited the dementia ward today she was settling in well. Pineapple juice is a big hit with my mum, too. Something she would have written off as too sweet before the dementia set in.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed (virtually or I could not type!) that your mum will continue to improve now she has moved.
Jan

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
New Thread / Bed Sides / Rails / Information

Hello B Belle , Glad your Mum was moved to the Dementia Ward & hope it has a more postive out come for both of you :) . Good that your Mum has been having her Meals with your help !

Postive Vibes that she has a good ( if slow ) recovery ( have put a New Thread on to day : Bed Sides / Rails / Information its on this Forum , thought it might help you as you mentioned it on your Post )

Best Wishes

Love & ( you are in my thoughts ) Grove x x x x

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Angels in the ward....

Mum's new ward is FANTASTIC! I have to blow trumpets and bang drums to make people see just how much a purpose led ward matters. Within three hours of
arriving they had her drinking from a sippee cup with minimal assitance, dressed and sat in the day room! When I left her last night she gave me a hug and a kiss something she had not done in weeks.Today they have had her walking with a frame and one member of staff for reassurance. I watched her eat a fairy cake without help, and she was trying to drink a cup of tea as well. Although drifting off to sleep every few minutes when alert she was trying to talk, as I left her she said "Don't forget me!" Of ourse i told her she was there to get well and I would be in to see her again tomorrow. Looking at her today and the recovery she has made in 24hours I can start to beleive she may even be able to go back to her residential home.:D.

Thank you all for your thoughts and messages they really help XX

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
There must be something in the water because Sylvis has had a super post too. Way to go BB's Mum, you keep them on their toes. It must be the biggest relief to you BB, great news.x.:)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello B B , What FANTATIC NEWS :):) am so pleased for your Mum & it just goes to show How GOOD THE N H S can be with GOOD Caring Staff ! ! ! All sounds very postive & so much different from our Local Dementia Ward / Our Friend was there after fall & broken bones :eek: The Care she was given was :(:eek::eek: all the time ! !

Your Mum sounds likes she wants to get better :) soonish

Bed Rails - Agree with you each person should have an assement done / tho can see veiw point of N H S Trust in what they say ! ! ( Gess they have to cover there backs legaly & its easy " Cop Out " for them not to use them at all )

Best Wishes

Love Grove x x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celiagibson