Has your MP signed EDM 2766?

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Yep, same here, May: I am fairly passionate about the things I believe in, yet I have never felt the urge to join a procession, protest or such like ...... until now.
But as I am not able to join marches etc, I am spending hours writing letters and emails instead. It would be great to think that somebody, somewhere, some day would take some notice of them all :(

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Have just sent my 4th email to Douglas Carswell. To date his name is still not on the list.

Ah well, I shall just keep badgering him.

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
mp letter

Dear Nutty Nan,

Where's your mp based? This was exactly the reply (word for word) I recieved from Nigel Waterson MP! They must have done a template for them

Jodie

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks for your email, Constance (if I may?).

I;ll have a look at it this week, and let you know.

Sorry for the slight delay in replying - rather busy last week!

Douglas.

The above was my reply to my 4th email.............shall not let him off the hook

I see that of today's date you have not signed the EDM 2766. Do you have a problems with this? Would love to hear your views, and not just the standard reply to email.

We shall have to wait and see.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Jodie,
John Bercow is in Bucks (Aylesbury / Buckingham) - I suppose they (MPs) get so many letters tbased on templates that they feel justified in using templates for their replies. In my opinion, this is not particularly constructive.
Even when I have used a template, I have always beefed it up by adding all sorts of personal details and obviously my own strong opinion. If I were an MP, I would take more notice of real life stories than of additional 'numbers' who just copied a standard letter.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
If at first you don't succeed ....

After my MP's wishy-washy reply, I sent a further letter with some challenging questions, and have now received something a bit more promising:

"Thank you for your letter. I read your points with interest.
It is very rare for NICE to overturn a decision following the appraisal process and I fear that this tradition shall continue. In this respect, I feel that the NICE appraisal process should be investigated with the possible avenue of reform.

As requested, I have signed EDM 2766 and added my voice to those who are also very concerned about this matter. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future ....."

Let's hope this does some good in the long run.

drummer-john

Apr 29, 2005
Leeds
My MP, Greg Mulholland (Leeds North West), has now signed. I sent him a couple of emails but haven't heard from him yet. I'm pleased that he's supportive.
John

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have sent my email to Stephen Ladyman and will let you know if he replies.

I remember when I moved to Kent, writing to him to complain about the dearth of Dentists. I`m afraid to say his reply was far from satisfactory, as he put the blame on the Tories for closing Dental Schools.

It will be interesting to see how he responds to this.

hairwench

Oct 1, 2006
wisbech
Hi All,
My MP Christopher Fraser emailed me back saying he would reply fully by letter, I have to say I thought I was being fobbed off, but thismorning a very supportive letter arrived in the post.
He agreed with our concerns though thought it correct that matters concerning the NHS budget should be made by healthcare professionals.
He said he is happy to sign the EDM 2766 and has already written to the Secretary of State for Health on behalf of another constituent with the same queries last month, he enclosed the reply which was not greatly satisfactory but says that decisions are "subject to an appeal process" then alot of blurb about how much they are investing in research into dementia.
Mr Fraser also expressed concern that NICE needed to consider the consequences of their decisions on carers and families and insists that he will continue to pursue the matter.
I feel at least our enquiry was taken seriously, for a change,
Hairwench x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just had a response from Steven Ladyman>:

As a minister I am not allowed to sign EDMs but I have some sympathy with your views and am continuing to make my concerns known to the Minister responsible.

So now we know.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I had the same reply as GrannyG - from Tom Levitt.
(he is supposed to understand as he had a close relative suffer with Alz) - but does he - hell!!
Beckyjan

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All
At last received an answer from my MP, although I don't think he will be signing. See below

I have delayed replying as I was investigating the situation in Scotland which is different to that in England. Here, The Scottish Medicines Consortium (SMC) conducts rapid appraisals of medicines as soon as possible after they are launched and, therefore, assesses them before NICE, who advise the NHS in England and Wales. NICE conducts a longer, more in-depth assessment of medicines when there is uncertainty about their cost effectiveness or wide variation in provision. In practice, this means that NICE will appraise medicines approximately 18 months after SMC has considered them. In addition, please see the below from the Scottish Medicines Consortium's website:

Q -Is Guidance from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) applicable in Scotland?

A - NICE Multiple Technology Appraisal (MTA): NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (NHS QIS) reviews MTAs and decides whether the recommendations should apply in Scotland Where NHS QIS decides that an MTA should apply in Scotland, the NICE guidance supersede SMC advice. Unlike the SMC process, MTAs examine a disease area or a class of drugs and usually contain new evidence gathered after the launch of drugs or new economic modelling.

NICE Single Technology Appraisal (STA): SMC is the source of advice for Scotland on new drug therapies and the NICE STA process therefore has no status in Scotland. If a NICE STA endorses a drug that was not recommended by the SMC, it is open to the manufacturers to resubmit the drug to SMC with new evidence. NHS QIS will remind NHSScotland of the SMC advice on the day of a NICE STA release.

I understand that we are still awaiting a decision on the Alzheimer's drug in Scotland.

I hope this is of assistance and if there is anything else you would like me to do, I would be happy to help

David