early onset AD,learn with my mistakes

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
Hello everyone,here is some advice that I hope will help with coping with AD,my wife has been diagnosed with AD since January 2002,at the young age of 55,she has now turned 60 a few weeks ago,like most people I thought that could manage,and struggled on,but there is help,and now I wish now that I had asked for it..first of all look at the the FACTSHEETS ON THE TOP LEFT HAND CORNER OF THIS PAGE ON HERE,THAT WILL GUIDE YOU TO ALL THE RELEVANT AGENCIES THAT CAN HELP,and here is some tips that I would have done now..

(1)INSIST ON LEAVING HOSPITAL THAT YOU REQUIRE AN OT NURSE TO VISIT YOUR HOME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO GET ADVICE ON ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP YOUR PRACTICAL AND SAFETY NEEDS..ENTRANCE TO YOUR HOUSE,SAFETY RAILS,WASHING, TOILET,DRESSING ETC ETC..

(2) GET IN TOUCH WITH SOCIAL SERVICES AND ASK FOR A VISIT FROM A WELFARE RIGHTS ADVISOR,AS SOON AS YOU CAN,BECAUSE YOU WILL ONLY GET ANY BENIFITS,COUNCIL TAX REBATES, THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TOO FROM THE DATE OF CLAIM,AS I KNOW FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND THAT I LOST OUT ON ABOUT £3000 POUNDS OF UNCLAIMED BENIFITS.

(3) AS SOON AS YOU CAN GET ALL THE LEGAL PAPERWORK DONE,POWER OF ATTOURNEY (EPA)THIS DIFFERS FROM SCOTLAND AND ENGLAND,ALSO THIS CAN BE DONE WITHOUT COSTING YOU ANY LEGAL FEES IN ENGLAND,ALL YOU REQUIRE IN ENGLISH LAW IS WITNESSES,BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT GET IT VERIFIED..
ALSO THROUGH LEGAL AID IN SCOTLAND DEPENDING ON YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES,BUT ALWAYS ASK UPFRONT WHAT FEES.. IF ANY, ARE DUE.

(4)LAST BUT NOT LEAST YOU NEED A GOOD SOCIAL WORKER,PREFERRABLY ONE THAT HAS HAD EXPERIENCE WITH AD NEEDS...HOPE THIS HELPS

Last edited:

Lillie

Oct 21, 2006
Midlands
Thank you for your advice. As a daughter whose mum has recently been diagnosed (aged 61) I know that this information will be really useful for my dad who is trying to be very practical about things and get what he can sorted. Reading others experiences is very helpful as it means we can all learn from each other and make the journey a little easier. My best wishes to you and your wife x x