Difficulty with swallowing food

nelema

May 21, 2011
Cyprus
Is it true that gastrostomy is not recommended in the case of dementia? Mum has been diagnosed with severe swallowing difficulty, high risk of pneumonia. Food must be taken very slowly in teaspoon doses, allowing for approx 30 sec between each spoonful and liquids such as water must be jellyfied using an agent we got from the nutritionist.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Hi, welcome to talking point, I haven't got the best answer because this isn't a situation I have come across personally, but I am sure someone here will know. I think it might be controversial, and may depend on other health problems.

Hope you get a better answer than this soon. How worrying for you about your mum, sending my very best wishes

Pippa x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello nelema and welcome to Talking Point (TP).

A gastrostomy, often referred to as PEG feeding, is, in my opinion, a very personal decision. There have been quite a few discussions and reasons put forward both pro and con but the bottom line is that it is a personal decision.

nelema

May 21, 2011
Cyprus
Thank you

Hey there, thanks for the msg. I have read a bit on PEG feeding and indeed there is no clear cut advice. I spoke to her neurologist and he is not in favour. I'll speak to the GP as well though. Kind regards. Mario