NHS Continuing Care

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi,

I'm just so angry I need to share this with someone before I explode!
My Dad's Nursing Home is lovely, they look after him well, and they support me. I feel I have to say this at the outset, because just at the moment I'm furious with them. The home had contacted the NHS continuing Care team for Dad to have an assessment because they feel he has deteriorated significantly. When his appointment came through the Nurse in charge said she was on leave that day, but that she would come in for Dad's assessment. Now, she is entitled to her leave, I'd be the first person to say she works really hard etc, but she had told everyone she would come in. The nurse on Dad's floor yesterday afternoon when he was being assessed, was an agency nurse who didn't know Dad from Adam. But I wasn't worried, because I knew that J had said she'd be there. She didn't arrive. She hadn't briefed anyone else. The agency nurse sent in a carer who hasn't been back from maternity leave very long, and who has had limited contact with Dad. I visit 6 days out of 7, but this carer actually said to the nurse who was filling out the Decision Support Tool that she didn't know who I was, and kept referring to my sister (who visits for 15 minutes most weeks) as "Tom's daughter"! So anything I said was completely undermined as having no credibility.
We went through the forms, and the nurse doing the assessment kept saying, "But there's no evidence for this", and she was really apologetic because she had seen Dad having a major shouting match and throwing a plastic cup at a carer, but none of it was written down. She kept saying that the home should have kept behaviour charts, there should have been records of him causing injury to members of staff, and there should have been records of his refusal to take medication.
I feel completely let down. I didn't instigate this, but the Nurse in charge had told me that Dad met all the criteria. I just can't understand how they could have failed to provide adequate paperwork, and how nobody had been briefed to help with the assessment. The nurse doing the assessment said that if there had been someone there who could have corroborated what I was saying, then she could at least have written that down. I had had to take the afternoon off work and sit there for three hours, and I came out wanting to cry. We were doing this in the office and residents kept wandering in, and being insistent on being talked to, but no staff came near because they didn't want to intrude! The nurse doing the assessment did say that I must be a regular because I knew all the residents and how to calm them down, so at least then I felt that she wasn't doubting that I did visit. I think the carer who sat in felt that it would make the home look bad if she said they had problems looking after Dad. She even said that he "could weight bear, but chose not to", as her reason for them not using a hoist to lift him. So that marked him down on mobility!

Sorry about the rant, but I don't know who else to tell. I don't even feel that I can say anything at the home because I'd let my anger spoil the good relationship I'd thought I had with them.

Anyway, I don't think we'll get it, and I don't know how I'm going to speak to anyone at the home. The bitter, twisted part of me wants to say, "Go on then, communicate with "his daughter", I'm done with this", but I know I'm just being childish. I will get over it, just don't know how.

Love, Sue

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O I'm so sorry to hear about this fiasco. I'm not surprised that you are furious. It's hard enough to get CHC as it is - as I know to my cost - without not only the relevant people not knowing your father,your information being discounted and, to cap it all poor record-keeping. You must feel absolutely frustrated.
I asked out PCT for a reassessment for my husband and they said this was not possible but I could complain, if I chose to do so,but not about the decision, only about the process. This presumably means the tool completion. I haven't done so as although the nurse in the hospital left out anything which reflected poorly on them, e.g. foot ulcer- resulting gangrene and infection - due to pressure being put on it despite instruction not to do so, and also pressure sores, what they did write was in the main discounted and the levels downgraded.I also have other hassles to contend with at present. It was the thought that they didn't appreciate his problems which really upset me rather than the funding - nice though that would be, though, of course,that might not be permanent.
It might be worth your while complaining though as, from what you say, the whole process misrepresented your father. It might also help just to be able to resolve some of your feelings this way - and just might be productive.
Best of luck with whatever you do and you have my sympathy.

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Thanks Saffie!

We went through it a year ago when Dad was leaving hospital, and everything the ward staff said minimised his problems then, but as we were coping with MIL's death and probate, house clearance etc, I just couldn't face the battle. But this time, I was told he met the criteria....No, I'm only going over old ground again!

I'll wait till we get turned down and then go and talk it through with the home. Today, I'm not visiting. I love my Dad, but I just can't face the home today, and I'd have to be a bit more upbeat before facing Dad's anger and aggression. Today I'd probably just cry, and that's no good for any of us.

Hope you get the acknowledgement you need,

Love Sue x

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Sue,sorry you are having a rough time at the moment.

Give it a few days and hopefully your fighting spirit will return.

I know that you are feeling a lot of anger towards the care home and rightly so but maybe next week have a meeting with the nurse in charge and let her know how frustrated and angry all this has made you feel.Tell them how important documentation is.

Let us know how you get on.

Curl up in front of the TV with some chocolates and watch a good old weepie film,that way no one will ask why are you crying:)

Tomorrow is another day Sue.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.

Take care, Angela.

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Thanks Angela!
Excellent advice, but sadly I'm being investigated for heart failure at the moment, so no choccies for me! But I'm just going to be kind to myself today and take it easy!

Sue xxx

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Sue, I would feel just the same. I think when you have had a day or two to calm down you should do what Angela says, a proper sit down in the office type meeting, not a chat by a doorway or anything.

Take care, with love
Pippa x

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
I know how you feel I had a very similar experience when I first applied for CHC for my dad. The PCT then used the manager of the home to deny my dad had healthneeds, in fact I came away from the home that day wondering why my dad needed to be in the care home.

I have also experiencd an MDT meeting where the PCT used the correct procedures laid down in the NF I then realised what a sham the first meeting was.

www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_103161.pdf

The PCT assessor should have co-ordinated the MDT meeting from the start by arranging a meeting when she was sure everyone could attend. An MDT has to have at least two professionals present usually PCT nursing assessor and the social worker. It should also include those who have up to date knowledge of your dad's needs, the care home nurse, his CPN.

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
I can't really fault the PCT nurse assessor. She gave us 2 weeks notice of the assessment date. It's the home I'm angry with. They had plenty of time to arrange that someone competent could have attended the meeting. The nurse in charge of Dad's floor knew that she was due to be on leave, but had told everyone that she would come in for the afternoon, so that it wouldn't take anyone away from the floor. Apparently she is there today, and was very jolly with my sister. My sister thinks I should just let it go. After all, it won't make much difference to us, Dad will still be living in a strange parallel universe, and it's only money. I know she's right, but I just feel let down about the way we've been treated.

I've tutored staff doing their NVQ3 to help them with their literacy and numeracy, because they find it hard to get to college regularly because of the shifts they work, I've found apprenticeships for children of staff, and helped with references so I just thought they'd do something for me. That sounds like I was expecting a bribe, but I wasn't, I just wanted Dad to get the consideration he was due. I suppose I'm hurt that they didn't think it important enough to do what they're supposed to do.

I'll get over it! I'm just a bit emotional because of my health worries, and whether I'm going to be able to carry on working. But compared to lots of people I'm very lucky, so I'm going to have to pull myself together. Soon. When I've finished this wallow!

Love Sue xxx