Taking medication

GillN

May 17, 2011
Ashton Under Lyne
My mum was diagnosed last week with Alzheimers was given reminyl to take, I went to visit her last night and she hadn't taken any of them,I live 7 miles away so not really pratical to go up and ensure that she takes them. Any suggestions

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gill

Medication is a big problem for people living by themselves, especially those with memory problems.

My mother used to play with hers and muddle up the days so I never knew whether she had taken that days dose or not.

All I can suggest is you ask SS to provide a carer to go in every day to prompt your mother to take her tablet. Sadly carers are not allowed to give medication but they can remind people if it is in a dosset box which the pharmacist should be willing to provide and fill.

mumofthree

Apr 11, 2011
Lancashire
This is how we dealt with my Dad taking pills too. We realised last Easter he was unable to manage anymore (he takes various things for various ailments, one of which is slow release pain medication taken twice 12 hours apart - nightmare for someone with memory problems!)

To begin with we got a simple 7 day box from Boots which I filled for him with the right pills in the right compartments (4 per day but we only needed 2).

By Christmas we realised this wasn't working any longer - he would forget to take them, or take them at the wrong times. We decided to invest in a locked pill box which sounds an alarm at the time he has to take them and it just moves round one slot at a time to dispense the medication needed at that time. This has worked brilliantly, it wasn't cheap but worth every penny. However, my Dad does also have Carer visits in place and timed to coincide with the pill box alarm so they can still prompt him too.

It was suggested to me that the Chemist would set up a blister pack or pill box for him, but that doesn't help when he couldn't remember when to take them or what day it was. The alarmed box plus a carer were the key for him.

GillN

May 17, 2011
Ashton Under Lyne
Medication

Thank you for your advice, this a steep learning curve but having access to Talking Point will really help with every step of the way, I will definatley look into the locked pill box with an alarm on.:)

Little Macky

Mar 28, 2011
Harrogate
Assistive technology

Just to add to mumofthree's comment. We arranged for an electronic dosset box from the Independant Living Service for free. My dad is self-funding, but this service was still provided free of charge, although I think we have to return the box when dad can no longer use it. It is like a carosel that moves round and an alarm sounds/compartment opens at the time that medication is needed.

I would add that it unless there is a carer on hand to help, there is no guarantee that the tablet is actually taken...

Try googling "Independant Living Service + your home town" and see what Mr Google finds for you.

Best wishes, Ellie

graybags

Jun 16, 2010
Hertfordshire
My dad also often forgets things so we bought an alarm clock called MemraBel, not cheap at c£70, but it has the facility for you to record up to 4 specific messages that can go off daily and/or weekly at pre set times, one of which in my Dad's case is to say, go to bed ! It also has a handy icon that diplays a crescent moon for night and sun for day, something that dad was also getting mixed up with.

justwilliam

Jan 24, 2011
I too live a long way from my mum. When she was prescribed Aricept, I put stickers on things linked to breakfast - the coffee tin, the porridge tin to remind her to take the pills. I ring her in the mornings to ask if she has taken them. She tells me yes. When I went up to see her, there were plenty of empty spaces in the packet, so I assume she is taking them.