Memory Unit Advice

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
My MIL as admitted to a memory unit just over a week ago now. She was very agressive and violent and we were no longer able to take care of her basic needs of cleanliness and nutrition at home. She was sectioned (section 2 of the mental health act I think?). We have since recevied a letter saying her status was now changed to voluntary. Can anyone explain what that means as we are afraid she can ask to leave and will be allowed to while she is clearly not able to take care of herself.

In additon, can anyone explain exactly what happens in these places? She went in a mobile lively woman but last night when we visited she was brough in a wheelchair, was slurring when she spoke very incoherently and looked like she was about to drop off to sleep! Is this normal?? I appreciate its early days but this seems a step in the wrong direction?

Last edited:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Hi, it sounds as though you need to get to see your MIL's consultant, does FIL have any more information than you? I know he was looking after her from your previous posts.

I think it is highly unlikely that she will be able to leave the unit and I understand that a full assessment with social workers etc will be done before she leaves so that help is set up for when/if she does go home, perhaps someone can put me right on that, but that should reassure you.
Pippa

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
FIL has even less information im afraid - he's not very assertive when it comes to asking questions and has only briefly visiited a few times during the day as his presence aggitates his wife and nurses report her becoming more aggitated after his visits.

We know she is on a very low dose of Risperidone and her usual alzheimers tablets as a nurse did show me a chart but that is the only thing that is different in medication.

MIL had some blood tests done they wont give us the results over the phone. We can only visit in the evening because of work and when we ask evening staff they know nothing about them!

Her social worker has been unavailable and we cannot get an appointment with the consultant! SIL is visiting this afternoon so hopefully she may get more information.

Its all very frustrating and confusing right now and we expected an improvement not decline which we are clearly seeing, although the "edge" has gone from her agression!

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I think you may be seeing a response to the risperidone, this should certainly stop the aggression and violence. My mum was like this too, though never sectioned, she eventually started on antipsychotics which has made a big difference to her behaviour, she is much less aggressive, though often still quite agitated and cross. She has recently become worse again, so they are changing her med to risperidone. Nothing makes things fine and wonderful though.

One of the things that made it more manageable and has enabled us to keep mum at home was our own change in the way we communicated with mum, never disagreeing with her or setting her straight, and going with the flow with regard to baths etc.

Dad has had to change a lot to cope with this.

So yes, your mum could well change to a sleepy and zonked out person as a result of her medication, they may take some time getting it right for her, and some of the sleepiness may wear off as she becomes used to it, but everyone is different.

P x

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
Thank you so much - i was worried that we would have to sacrifice some of the personality that remained to get a more amenable person and that seems to be the case. Sadly we have to accept that the Alzheimers has taken hold and sometimes we just forget it cant be fixed.

My MIL is very used to getting her way (and always has been!!) so i suspect she becomes aggitated when the nurses insist on bathing, dressing, toileting her! Although we found the notes on compassionate communication later in day, they were most useful!

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
She was sectioned (section 2 of the mental health act I think?). We have since recevied a letter saying her status was now changed to voluntary. Can anyone explain what that means as we are afraid she can ask to leave and will be allowed to while she is clearly not able to take care of herself.

Hi Angel,
My relative was held in a psychiatric assessment unit for 28 days under a Section 2 and after that was detained "voluntarily" for a further period. I've never understood this as although he was pretty zonked with medication he hated being "in prison" as he was perfectly able to describe it. There were key pads on all the corridors and exits so he couldn't leave. Is your MIL in a similar secure unit?

xanadu777

Apr 2, 2011
Dyfed
My wife has now been 8 weeks in a secure unit and comes home on Monday with an excellent care package in place. They have adjusted her medication and this has resulted in a much calmer outlook and behaviour. I went to two 'ward rounds' when I was given a complete and detailed update on my wife's condition. AD is a difficult condition that can change quite quickly and during my daily visits over the 8 week period I have seen quite a number of patients with distressing behaviour brought to a point where they can be returned home or whatever. The staff in my wife's unit seem to work miracles and they have earned my eternal gratitude.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Angel,
I've just re-read my post and it didn't really say what I meant it to say and that is, if your mum is in a secure unit then you needn't worry about her asking to leave as this is unlikely to happen. I hadn't heard of the term Memory Unit before, so please excuse my ignorance if I misunderstood your mum's situation.

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
Hi Angel,
My relative was held in a psychiatric assessment unit for 28 days under a Section 2 and after that was detained "voluntarily" for a further period. I've never understood this as although he was pretty zonked with medication he hated being "in prison" as he was perfectly able to describe it. There were key pads on all the corridors and exits so he couldn't leave. Is your MIL in a similar secure unit?

Sounds like the same thing by a less threatening name i suppose! They use card swipes on all the doors and we have to ring to get access.

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
My wife has now been 8 weeks in a secure unit and comes home on Monday with an excellent care package in place. They have adjusted her medication and this has resulted in a much calmer outlook and behaviour. I went to two 'ward rounds' when I was given a complete and detailed update on my wife's condition. AD is a difficult condition that can change quite quickly and during my daily visits over the 8 week period I have seen quite a number of patients with distressing behaviour brought to a point where they can be returned home or whatever. The staff in my wife's unit seem to work miracles and they have earned my eternal gratitude.

xanadu thats sounds very promising for your wife! I know my FIL would love to get his wife home even part time as he misses her terribly. He wasnt able to care properly for her but with assistance, he might be able to cope better.

Things happened so quickly with us - the bed was availalbe when we were talking to the social worker and had no time to think about it or ask many questions so we are only now playing catch up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S4dad