Just had Mam sectioned :(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello daisypetals

My husband went into an assessment unit voluntarily. His doctors told him they were so grateful he agreed because it saved them having to section him. It will be the same for your mother.
You might think she'll never forgive you now. It's because she is so poorly. She will forgive you later, when she is well enough to return home.
Do not worry she has left her keys at home. That shows how ill she is. She will not be brought home without notice.

xanadu777

Apr 2, 2011
Dyfed
Like so many of us you are suffering from stress overload and need time away from it all if only for a short while. It is easy to tell you not to feel guilty but not so easy for you to accept. Guilt, stress, fears and doubt as to whether we are doing the right thing accompanies every caring carer on this dreadful journey. You have taken the first step towards getting help not only for Mam but for yourself as well. That is what you both need...help. Keep posting on TP as we are all fellow travellers on this particularly difficult road. Our thoughts and understanding are with you.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Hi justwanted to sendyou a hug ((((hug))))), We went though simillar with my mum. It is so stressful and heartbreaking at the time, but safety and care have to come first.

I flet like I had failed and everyone involved(family wise) was left battered and bruised BUT it did make mums situation safe and it has meant she has recieved more cafe and attention.

It is easy for me to say to you, try and be gentle with yourself. Your mum is in good hands, take some time out and restxxx

Sending you love xx

jennifer_eccles

Apr 4, 2011
melksham
Though my mom didn't get into hospital, she was screaming obscenities at me and tearing her room to bits, when she walked out of the house under advisement (I had care support on the phone with me as it was going on) I had to let her leave, I called the police after 1 hour and reported her missing, explained to the police man what her state of mind was how she threatened to throw herself under a bus, AND BY LAW I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO STOP HER LEAVING. I asked them to have a mental assessment of her (again told to do so under advisement). She made her way to the bank and told them I had been stealing her money and mistreating her. They phoned the police, thankfully the same policeman I had spoken to turned up at the bank and told his office he wanted to have her assessed. The called social services and got her a social worker and took her to a place of safety. For two weeks I was not allowed contact with her I did find out they had put her in a care home locally and my sisters and brother spoke to her daily, she still insisted I did awful things, my family knew better but I was investigated. (such a slap in the face when you have opened your house to your mum). No evidence found to prove my mom right. I walked up to the care home and mom spotted me through the window and shouted at the staff to let me in. They had no choice, she was grateful to see me and denies telling anyone anything bad about me. She is home again with me, and though it was a stressful 2 weeks I think it did her good, she has settled better as she kinda understands what would happen if she did it again. And though she has lost it a few times with the help I NOW GET (finally) we have managed to overcome most things..She won't hold it against you, she will realise she brought it on, and hopefully you will both get on better..huggzzzz from me