Driving

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
If a person drives when their licence has been revoked, they are driving against this wishes of the authorities and can be classed as driving without insurance.

This is very difficult for those who have dementia to understand at times, but once diagnosed we 'Must' inform the DVLA and never drive without their consent

Ken

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Thanks for the apology, Tony. I think we're actually on the same side! It's a difficult line, isn't it?
Karen, yours is a common problem, where the wife of a dementia sufferer is reluctant to give up the independence of having a husband who drives. My stepmother was happy to get back in the car with my Dad, even after he'd had an accident, because she didn't feel confident to drive any more. I wonder if it might be a way of pretending that everything is fine? Before Dad was stopped from driving he had started getting lost, but he had previously been a very keen driver. He had spent 10 years after his retirement as a volunteer driver for the Ambulance Service, so had prided himself on his ability to find his way around the nearby towns. Just before diagnosis he had got lost coming to my house. Maybe you could suggest an account with a taxi firm for your parents? Our CPN said that a lot of people put the money from their Attendance Allowance into taxis, to give them some freedom. I hope you find a solution that suits both your parents,
Love Sue

lacey1960

Oct 29, 2010
Billingham
Thanks for your help Sue. My mam is really taking the whole situation quite badly. My dad has done everything for her and she definitely doesn't want to accept that anything is wrong with him. She won't register him with Social Services, didn't want him to go to any appointments, doesn't want him to take medication, won't claim for carers allowance etc. She sent him to the doctors the other day on his own and the doctor wrote on his perscription that he had to make another appointment in 3 weeks time. The lady in the bank has asked my mother to come with him each time but she refuses and sends him in on his own and he can't remember what he wants. I find it harder trying to cope with my mam than my dad to be honest and some days don't know what to do as every time I suggest something or try to resolve problems for her instead she just has a go at me instead.

Hopefully I'll get there sort soon, if not I'll be in a padded room and won't mind any way LOL