help with care homes please

carter56

Nov 30, 2010
merseyside
Hi
I haven't posted for quite awhile as mil has been in hospital for 3 weeks now. she was found on the living room floor having been there all night. she was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a water infection. her dementia was awful during that time due to the infection. she then had a bout of diarrhoea due to the antibiotics but is now medically fit. she was given a test by the psychiatrist and scored 13 out of 30 and it has been decided that a care home would be best for her. we are confused now and wondered who will pay for the home. mil has £6000 savings for " her funeral " and has just her pension. she lives in a 3 bedroom council house so has no property to sell. what happens to her pension. sorry if this is long winded but don't know what to ask for really.
any advice would be very much appreciated
cheers linda

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi Linda, My mum's the same as yours money wise.

She gets her state pension, a small private pension and pension credit. She contributes £144 per week for her care home and is left with £22-30 per week pocket money.

We had to fill in a means test form,which the SW sent us.

I'm sure others will be able to explain better, but thats what mum pays.

Good Luck Lin x

carter56

Nov 30, 2010
merseyside
Thank you both so much for your advice. The nurse who has been looking after mil says she needs a residential home but is borderline for needing 24 hour care as she wont do anything without prompting. she doesn't wash if someone doesn't help her or eat unless it is put in front of her. don't know what type of home to start looking for
thanks linda x

carter56

Nov 30, 2010
merseyside
i think it was the nurses opinion but she had been talking to the ot discharge team. it seems we now have to wait for social services and ot team to get in touch and then we can sort something out. i don't know what the time line will be.
thanks once again for your help.
linda x

carter56

Nov 30, 2010
merseyside
thank you everyone for your advice. its such a lot to take in.
last night at the hospital the nurse asked hubby to sign a form so that the application for 24 hour funding could get started. he read it over carefully and asked if he was signing any rights away and she said no. she showed us the form that she had filled in which was regarding mil and her abilities and it was graded a b c .
dont know how long all this will take as there are bank holidays etc.. and we have yet to have a meeting with ss and anyone else involved.
it is good to know that you are all here to help out.
cheers linda x

carter56

Nov 30, 2010
merseyside
morning everyone
just a quick update and hope someone can tell me what to expect from now on.
hospital discharge team still haven't contacted us when we ask the nurse they say they have a backlog from all the bank holidays we have just had.
what is the next process. do we meet with the discharge team or with social services or both together ?
how long does the process take of being discharged from hospital to mil being settled in a care home .
mil cant grasp where she is but we have been able to talk to her and she realises she cant go back to living on her home and i think that she has come to terms with that . she is now getting to the state where she hates her hospital room . she doesn't see it as being in hospital. she thinks the nurses and the patients
and visitors are all in her back kitchen.she is obsessed with being secure. she tries to tie the door up at night and covers the mirror in her room with hand towels because she is convinced it is a window. .
the sooner we get her settled somewhere were she can have a few of her own things around her then i hope she will feel safer.
thanks everyone for reading and any advice is very much appreciated
cheers linda x