The BIG collection - 27 - 28 May 2011: can you help?

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Thanks for your suggestion Alex: I understand that our Fundraising team did look into this option but it wasn’t viable for a number of reasons unfortunately.

I had thought of volunteering but thought I'd be too ill to stand, then I noticed Sylvia's post about sitting. I've seen collectors at Tesco sitting down at a table before now. Could I volunteer on that basis (that I'd need a chair ) ?!?!?!

And thanks very much for thinking of volunteering for the collection Pied. :) I mentioned your question to the Tesco team: they said they’d love for you to volunteer, and are sure they can arrange a chair – but they’d just need to check this with your local Tesco store. If you could give the hotline a call on 0845 678 7678, they’ll be able to double-check this for you.

And for any members with questions or concerns about the the BIG collection, the following information from our Tesco team may be helpful:

It is absolutely fantastic to hear feedback - particularly as it helps us to double-check that we have these things built into our processes. Over the last few weeks we have been working with various teams within the Society to produce an information pack for Team Leaders which we will be able to share with Talking Point members later this week. This pack explains the role in further detail, and provides guidance on all the areas that have been discussed in the forum in more detail.

To reassure members regarding confidentiality, we can confirm that no information is shared with third parties - only with the bare minimum of Alzheimer's Society staff and registered volunteers who need contact details in order to coordinate the collection and ensure everyone participating has the materials and information they need to collect money and enjoy the day. This information is shared through secure channels in line with Data Protection legislation.

The great news is that 223 team leaders and 1,772 general volunteers have signed up already! And if you haven't seen it yet please also check out our celebrity film promoting The BIG collection online at http://www.alzheimers-tesco.org.uk/news/87_the_big_collection.

If anyone has any questions or concerns please contact the Tesco Team on 0845 678 7678.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
With ant charity collections...envelopes, shaking boxes..there has to be an element of trust in those dealing with the money....me I like to believe most people are honest.
Amy

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Small comment from someone who was a bank cashier for a very long time...if you are sorting the cash, prior to banking it, you'll need to get a supply of coin bags from your local bank, and check with them that you won't be charged for paying the coin in, it may count as a business deposit.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Team leader pack

Hi everyone

As promised by our Tesco team, a copy of the info pack for BIG collection team leaders is attached to this post.

If you have any questions about the pack, please contact the team on 0845 678 7678 or by email at Tesco@alzheimers.org.uk.

I'd been intending to volunteer, just waiting for something else in the diary to settle, and got round to it just this morning. Then, belatedly, started reading this thread!

I'd certainly assumed there would be more than 2 people per store - sheer numbers are impressive, I'm afraid I'm more likely to give when there are 4 tins than 2. At a store of any size 2 collectors won't cover the volume of shoppers coming out, and we need team spirit and cover for loo breaks. I'll wait to see whether I get contacted, allocated the local store which is the only one remotely convenient, etc. But I'm unimpressed, from all the above - the idea that we just pass the collected money over to the next two people who turn up and say that they're the volunteers... OK, so almost everyone is honest, but not everyone.

I've no experience of shop collections before, only a town centre one where everyone took their own collection tin back to the central HQ for it to be emptied and counted. I don't know how other organisations do it for shops, but would have thought that Charities Aid Foundation or whatever would have evolved a Standard Operating Procedure rather than the wheel having to be reinvented by Alz Soc.

AH well, will wait for developments.

Pam

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
On the question of how many collectors and regulations, my understanding is that if the collection is in a public place (e.g. on the street) then the Local Authority give the permission and set the regulations. If however the collection is on private property (e.g. in a Tesco store) then it is the owner i.e. Tesco who sets the reguations.

I can see that Tesco would not want an army of people rattling tins at shoppers as they attempt to enter the store, and I would imagine it is Tesco that has set the 2 person limit. From my experience of my local store I don't recall seeing more than two collectors for any charity.

Bluebury

Jul 21, 2010
North Manchester
On the question of how many collectors and regulations, my understanding is that if the collection is in a public place (e.g. on the street) then the Local Authority give the permission and set the regulations. If however the collection is on private property (e.g. in a Tesco store) then it is the owner i.e. Tesco who sets the reguations.

I can see that Tesco would not want an army of people rattling tins at shoppers as they attempt to enter the store, and I would imagine it is Tesco that has set the 2 person limit. From my experience of my local store I don't recall seeing more than two collectors for any charity.

I think that you are right - as far as I am aware it is Tesco that have said that there can only be 2 collectors at a time. Certainly at my local Tesco whenever there has been any collections by any charity there are never more than 2 popel collecting at a the same time.
My OH rattled the bucket for a charity last year, arrived over 10 minutes early to offer his support but was asked to move away and wait for his allotted time because the 2 people allowed were there and he made the numbers up to 3 - which was not allowed.

sonia owen

Fancy Dress

Hi all,

What are any of you wearing for fancy dress on our big collecting days? I can only think of a smuf outfit, I don't fancy that one bit. Just really want want a small token to wear, a flower or something like that.
Love Sonia xxxx

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone

I checked with the Tesco team about maximum numbers for the BIG collection and received this reply:

A maximum of 2 people collecting at one time is a condition Tesco have for all charity collections taking place outside their stores.

We've had lots of people sign up to volunteer in the last week which is fantastic and our team are getting back to people to confirm their slots as quickly as we can.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far and if you haven't yet please do register to take part and encourage friends, family and colleagues to get involved too!

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please contact the Tesco team on 0845 678 7678 or by email at Tesco@alzheimers.org.uk.

Bron

May 23, 2008
London
T............ Extra Twickenham

Is there anyone collecting in Twickenham T.... Extra would like to meet as not done this sort of thing before

welshmax

May 13, 2011
Pencoed
I have signed up to

I have signed up to
In partnership with Tesco, Alzheimer's Society is organising The BIG collection and we need your help.

If you are able to give a few hours of your time in May, you could help us raise thousands of pounds so we can build a better future for people with dementia.

I know that some TP members have already signed up to volunteer their time, which is brilliant. :D

If you are interested in finding out more, please do take a look at the dedicated BIG collection page on our website:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/thebigcollection

Thanks very much,

Katherine - on behalf of our Fundraising team :)

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
That's great news welshmax, thank you.

The BIG collection is coming up very soon so if anyone is interested in signing up, or has any questions, please contact the Tesco team on 0845 678 7678 or by email at Tesco@alzheimers.org.uk.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sonia

I haven`t heard any more either.

If I don`t hear, I intend to turn up at the allocated store at the specified time and take it from there. It is up to the organizers to organize and I`m leaving the ball in their court.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I had a call from my team leader last week, but I only managed to catch up this week with one thing and another.

She just wanted to check I was still OK to do it and we arranged I should turn up 10 minutes before my allocated time.

I would suggest if you haven't heard anything in the next week to give the helpline a call for details of your team leader.