Products for people with dementia and carers

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You know the thing I always wanted but could never find in the UK (they're available in the US) was something to help with phone calls. It probably isn't a good poduct for the shop, but I wanted a box that fit between the phone and the phone jack a bit like a glorified answering machine, but that would intercept a call before the phone rang and ask the person calling to either 1) enter a code which would allow the phone to ring, or 2) leave a message. That way people who know the person can get through but the person doesn't get all those random phone calls (particularly the ones that involve selling stuff). If it allowed me to call in and get the messages that would have been perfect.

LORNAM

Jan 16, 2011
northumberland
Mum died 2 years ago but I remember before she went into care and was still at home we had some large posters of a bed, another of a picture of a toilet, another of a bath etc. We had these laminated and stuck to the bathroom and bedroom doors etc. I can still see her looking at these posters and they did seem to help her decide which room was where.

Run Ragged

Oct 30, 2010
London
Useful items

How about a big buttoned foolproof tv remote. My poor dad freezes the screen, mutes the sound, makes it wide screen. All he needs are on off, channels, volume!
Probably impossible I know.
:(

Carriebeca

Jan 15, 2010
Rhondda Cynon Taf
Re neeeding a 'thingy' to hold phone safely

Was reading this thread tonight about products for people who need various stuff like sticky notes and clear clocks. Someone wanted a gadget that would hold a mobile phone safely. By chance, last week I saw this Bunjee that is designed to hold most mobiles, except clamshell types.
Its in the Travel Paraphernalia catalogue, costs £4.99. Hope link works!
www.travelparaphernalia.co.uk

Hope it helps,
Carriebeca

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
We use one of these

www.truecall.co.uk/

Works a charm - bit expensive though. I have nothing to do with the company.

Thank you Toby.

I had looked at that a while ago, but it didn't have the features it seems to have now. I'm not sure that it would have worked for us (as there seems to be some issues with caller ID when you're not in the UK although they imply they have a work around) but I would think it would be worthwhile checking out if you were a distance carer (or even, if you wanted to be able to contact a loved one when you were out).

3rd generation

Jul 7, 2010
Germany
Time release tablet dispenser

Rather like a dog food dispenser but for tablets! My mum has got past this stage now but there was a long phase when an alarm or something that then opened a flap for the relevant tablets would have been wonderful! Just an idea:)

Royf

Apr 28, 2011
manchester
Hi Roy

Thank you for alerting us to this problem. If we do find a product that may help address this, I will let you know.

Carla

Thanks Carla, we also think Betty has been using the kettle to boil milk in since it has the same burnt smell as the numerous pans she has burnt out. Its really worrying that even a simple task is proving so difficult. Carers now go in 3 times a day and we are asking them to make a flask of tea in the morning for her to use during the day and up to now it seems to be working...fingers crossed.

thanks again

uptheladder

Nov 22, 2009
Shopping

The already mentioned items appear to be concentrating on some very useful practical aids. Does the shop already stock educational aids designed to help others to understand and helpfully relate to those who have Alzheimer's Disease? If so, would it be helpful to invite more suggestions on this thread - or, alternatively, would it be helpful to promote such?
stan

KTG

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
When my mum moved into a CH, we bought her a simple to use radio. It only lasted six months, but she needed something very simple to opperate with BIG SIMPLE buttons.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I am going to sound very critical. On reading this thread I decided to visit the online shop as I am looking for a couple of items needed at home to keep mum safe.

The shop has almost nothing of any use whatsoever in the section that is about daily living. I mean if I want jigsaw puzzles there are plenty of places to get those. If I want to buy a mug with a single handle then I know where to get them. If I want to buy a salt, pepper and vinegar pot I think I would be able to find something actually better than you have in your shop.

So then I thought perhaps there is more and better stuff under partner products. When I looked there the only thing available was travel insurance, and they were highlighting what to do about volcanic ash. Apart from saying they make some contribution to the AS they do not mention AD at all, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a travel insurance company that would provide a decent rate for the elderly or for people suffering AD or other forms of dementia (and I know they aren't all elderly). Could you partner with services that are particularly AD friendly or offer something a bit special??

So sorry, I think your shop is almost completely useless as it is, and I think it is a very good idea to revamp it.

I was looking for a lock that can be opened from the outside to go on the bathroom, mum likes to lock the door but has trouble getting out of the bath, dad had to break the door down recently. We want a lock so that she feels she maintains her dignity. We are also looking for something to help her get out of the bath that is not obtrusive, I would probably have ordered a grab handle for the wall had that been there too.

Pippa

Last edited:

Ria

Apr 13, 2010
Tenbury Wells
My mum is registered blind and has early stage Alzheimer's. A lot of her aids are mainly to help her blindness, but they are becoming increasingly used as a prompt for her memory.
The best thing that I have ever bought was her PenFriend audio labeller. http://www.rnib.org.uk/Shop/Pages/Searchresults.aspx?k=penfriend&s=Shop
I started off using it to label her clothes with what colour they were, but now I use it to record instructions for the appliances, remotes and basically anything that she is likely to forget. I put stickers on her calendar and record exactly what she needs to do, e.g. " The Chiropodist is coming today, mum, at 11am. Her money is in the jar in the cupboard." Having my voice and my words helps her immensely. I can't recommend this product enough - it has helped her to maintain a lot of independence.
The other useful thing is her talking clock, again from RNIB. It is radio controlled so never needs setting. As well as telling the time, if you hold down the button it tells the full day and date too.
The other thing that helps is her Mem-x Voice Reminder www.pivotell.co.uk. I can record reminders that set an alarm off, which she then presses the button to listen to.
These are quite pricey 'techie' aids, but they are invaluable to those who are still able to remember to push a button and listen.

Ria

Apr 13, 2010
Tenbury Wells
We use one of these

www.truecall.co.uk/

Works a charm - bit expensive though. I have nothing to do with the company.

I bought one too and it's fantastic. No more nuisance calls and mum knows now if the phone rings it's someone she will want to talk to. One word of advice - shop around. I bought direct from the manufacturer at top price, and could have got it for £25 less if I'd gone elsewhere.

Ria

Apr 13, 2010
Tenbury Wells
I've bought an A4 wipe-clean whiteboard (cheap from stationers) which is brilliant for reminding Mother what day it is and what's happening.

We've tried two different clocks-with-date, and there's still a need: ideally an analogue clock with day, date, month? As we're living with Mother we cope with one which needs to be manually tweaked at the end of 30/28-day months, though I can see that would be a problem for people without a resident carer.

I'd like to find (perhaps could if I looked harder) some sort of a locating device to tag Mother's diary (small pocket size): I've spent hours of my life looking for it (in drawers, under pillow, in pockets, down side of armchair, under anything and everything, up sleeve of jumper...) as she's obsessed with it and gets terribly upset if she can't lay her hand on it. (Tying the pencil to the diary with a string was one inspiration - only one item to lose now, not two!) I think the sort of thing designed for key rings might work, but ideally something just the size of a sticker, with a non-losable gadget to locate it.

Hope this helps. Pam

The more I look at this thread, the more I think RNIB products can actually help with memory loss. They have a homing device locator http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?category=writing_labelling&productID=DL9201 that would help with the diary.

I've just had another look at the RNIB shop to get hyperlinks for my posts, and have been amazed to see all the new products they've introduced lately. I think because AMD and Alzheimer's has a link, they may be concentrating on more dual purpose items.

jessibee

May 14, 2010
Day, date and time clock

I would really like there to be a clock that is clear to read, and also shows the date and day - and changes automatically each day. Dad really isn't at all sure what day or date it is, and has a clock a bit like this but it has to be changed manually, and how do you know if you've done it or not if you aren't sure what day it is anyway?
Please get one of these made that is cheap enough for ordinary mortals like us to buy, thank you.

jessibee

May 14, 2010
Retractable wallet gizmo

I'd also like there to be a gizmo that can be attached to a wallet to keep it securely inside your pocket, but enable you to take it out, and when you have finished with it, it automatically winds itself back in and puts itself back where it was (rather like those dog leads).

Same for the hat, scarf, walking stick.

And maybe a padded house that gives them a cuddle when they fall over then puts them back upright and on thier feet again, or sits them down and gives them a cup of tea.

Then it would be good if there was something that made the person you are looking after gracefully accept the help that is on offer rather than thinking they can manage thank you very much, when they are clearly not...

Now I know I'm getting into the realms of fantasy, and I know what we all really want is a time machine so we can go on visits to before, but the wallet one was for real.

Jan D

Jul 11, 2009
Hi
My Mum still lives on her own with carers morning and evening and me!! I think there must be a market for an up to date digital TV but in an old fashioned surround with the old push buttons to change channels. Forget the remote it's like an alien! Mum stopped being able to change channels very early on but I'm sure she would remember how to work an old TV. This is more wishful thinking than a suggestion for the shop!
Jan x:)

toby12

Jan 26, 2007
Surrey
Ideas

There are some brill ideas here (and jessibee's house one was very funny!) - the TV was a constant source of problems for my Dad.

For the vast majority of electronic things, when you first power them up if they asked "How technical/bothered are you on a rating of 1-5 about all the fancy clever bits where 1 = "I just want to listen to the Archers" 5=" I like to tweak the bit rate on my USB" it would make life so much easier.

My Mum's TV has 68 buttons on the remote - all she wants is on/off, Volume, and channel. The washing machine has 20 programmes etc.

If the Alzheimer's Society took some of these and productised them they would appeal to a much greater audience.

The tracker system that they use in cars for example - why not a "pedestrian" version, would save hours of worry.

Just a thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951