Votes: 108 30.7%
  • Stage 7

Votes: 52 14.8%

• Total voters

BazCare

Jul 2, 2006
Surrey
Stages.

I’ve just found this thread which has enabled me now to work out which stage dad is at. All his problems fit very neatly into stage 5 of Alzheimer’s, or the early stage of dementia so this gives me a kind of benchmark.

Peter

Last edited:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
what stage of alzheimers

Hi
I have voted my Dad as stage 5 in the poll, but as both Mum and Dad have AD and the poll will only allow me to vote once, I thought I would let you know that Mum is probably stage 5 going into stage 6, but it is hard to tell.
Alfjess

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Physiotherapy

When my Mum was in hospital for nearly four weeks, she did have a little physiotherapy, but because she was kept waiting for 48 hours for the hip replacement operation her joints were too stiff and painful to try standing up. When she returned to the care home, the hospital physiotherapists came to see her the next day, and said she was unable to listen to instructions (she is hard of hearing) and not weight bearing, so physiotherapy would be a waste of time.
She lost a lot of weight in hospital due to the lack of care staff for the elderly to help in feeding. She gained weight in the care and nursing homes and did start walking again for a time. I think she had another mini-stroke because she went right back and hasn't walked since. I think some physiotherapy would be a good idea for her, just to keep the bits moving that can move, but none has been offered. She just sits in her chair and is taken by wheelchair to the dining room or lounge.
The hospital had very restricted visiting for no good reason. If I could have gone at lunch time, which would have been far more convenient for me as I work in the afternoons, I could have helped her eat and she wouldn't have lost all that weight. If her name had been above her bed and staff had called her by name every time they treated her, she wouldn't have become so confused. The NHS has a lot to answer for. Name cards and extended visiting hours wouldn't even cost much money and would give old people a better quality of life in hospital.
Kayla

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
stages of AD

After reading the stages today which I found very enlightening I must say that Ron is 6 going on 7. He has very few words of speech but what makes it difficult is that he doesn't realize it. He will tell me such a tale which I don't understand a word of- which is identical to our youngest son when he was 1-2yrs old.
We used to say"What did he say Horace". Like Ron he got very frustrated when we couldn't understand him.
I have arranged 2 weeks respite soon whilst we are having a new kitchen fitted. May send the 15mth. pup with him[I wish]
I have a feeling that this last stage can last a long time whereas the others seem to pass quite quickly. Best Wishes to everyone of our friends because I feel we all are

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Stages

I`ve placed my husband at stage 4 although he doesn`t answer to all points but overlaps in part to stage 5.

It`s confusing isn`t it? I identify some of these points in myself too and I`m supposed to be the carer.

I`ve forgotten whether or not loss of language was itemised in the stages. My husband has lost none of his language yet, but when I`ve read about AD, loss of language often seems to be a pointer.

It`s so individual.

Cheers all. Grannie G

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
stages

Well i think between 5 and 6 although he can still have a sence of humour. He is difficult to stage as some days would be 4 and some 6

BonnieRose

Mar 27, 2006
taunton
Found Brucie's link to the webb site and put my mother between 5 and 6. I would be interested to hear from other carers who look after somone at this stage.
I really feel mum should be in a home soon but she still dose'nt tick all the required boxes.Is anyone finding the same problem?

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Remus
Yes I think my parents should be in a care home, as they are also stage 5 -- 6. One day I say to myself they would be better of in residential care, next day I've had a complete change of mind when things are ticking along, normally:rolleyes:
They are going to respite 2nd November for the first time and the place is lovely, so I will see how they adapt.
Alfjess

BonnieRose

Mar 27, 2006
taunton
stages

Hi Alfjess, thanks for reply,my mum has always said she dose'nt want to live in a home- so it's going to be hard.
The respite idea sounds good, I hope your parents like it. Have both your parents got AD? that must be soooo hard for you. Are they still in their own home, my mum is but comes to stay more and more often,although when she's here she wants to go home! Also it makes her decline more rapid which seems so unfair. Remus

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Remus
Yes both Mum and Dad have dementia and it is hard. Mum is in denial, in her mind there is nothing wrong with either of them, which makes trying to care for them a never ending trial.
When they could no longer live in their own home, I bought a park residential home/ chalet and sited it in my garden. Asked them to come to try out the new holiday home;) and didn't take them back to their own house. Like you I knew I couldn't cope with them living with me 24/7.
My daughter lives next door, so the chalet is between her house and mine and she helps care for them. My cousin lives around the corner and she also does her bit. They go to daycare 3 times a week and carers have just started to come twice a day and if respite works in November, SS have said we can have rolling respite, so all in all things are not so bad at the moment
I know I am fortunate in having the space to be able to have the chalet in the garden and in having family support and help, many others are not so lucky.
On the other hand, my MIL also has AD and lives on her own in Barrow Cumbria, she is rapidly getting to the stage where she can't be left in her own home. My husband goes to live with her 4 days per week, at the moment, but decisions will have to be made soon and we have no space for another chalet.
Alfjess

tubbie

Nov 1, 2006
Cambridge
I am new to the TP so hello to everyone out there :) . I reckon on an average day my Dad is between a stage 5 and a stage 6. On a good day he can be a 3/4 but that is not very often. He is 70 and lives alone, my sister and I care for him as best we can from a distance of about 14 miles each. He also has a Care Team, who visit for half an hour every morning, and Meals on Wheels. The carers give him breakfast and his tablets, most of which are for a heart condition. The last few days have been relatively good in that Dad has been in a cheery sort of mood. When he's angry/frustrated it's a whole different ball game, as I am sure many of you know. He makes me laugh sometimes, he's got a thing about salad cream at the moment, he gets so excited about buying it and eating it, he's like a kid in a sweet shop! Am really dreading the next stage of his decline, he will have to go in to care because as I say he lives alone and moving in with one of us is not an option (the less said...). Anyhow, very glad to have found somewhere I can talk to people who really, truly understand what it's like to be a carer. I rather suspect I will be back for moral support in the very near future. My very best wishes to all of you.
tubbie

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Tubbie,
Welcome to TP. Try not to dread the future, cos when you get there you will find it is manageable - just continue to enjoy the present. On another thread people have been discussing Christmas presents, your dad is going to be easy to please!
Love Helen

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Brucie

Thanks for the info, really interesting, I had no idea what the stages meant until now.

Mum is a 5 mostly, bits of a 6, so I voted 5.

Cate