Reassurance needed

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
sympathy

thinking of you today Carol ........ it's a difficult time, and one that's still very fresh in my memory. take your time, be kind to yourself. you'll get through it.

hugs
Áine

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
Thank you all for your condolences and your words of kindness. Its a strange sense of enormous relief today - just knowing that my Mum is at peace, away from the horrible mixed up world of Dementia. I will continue to browse TP and when appropriate post replies obviously just based on the experiences I have had. Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.
Take Care,
Carol

Helena

May 24, 2006
Oh Carolann do I know how you feel
My daughter who has not seen my Mum since Christmas went today she was utterly shocked by the tears, the incredible confusion , inability to string words together etc it was all just so so dreadful

For months my Mother has been insisting she is 100 on 29th when actually she would be 90 ......i did an embroidered card for her which i gave her yesterday ......today she is saying she is 70 and that the card is wrong because she is 100
She has planned this huge party for 29th but theres no way its going to happen and we cant possibly let her great grandchildren see her like this

If only my poor Mother could just slip away and be at peace

Carla

Oct 18, 2006
London
Carolann

I am so very sorry. You and your Mum have been in my thoughts this weekend.

Take great care of yourself

With love
Carla

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Helena said:
My daughter who has not seen my Mum since Christmas went today she was utterly shocked by the tears, the incredible confusion , inability to string words together etc it was all just so so dreadful

For months my Mother has been insisting she is 100 on 29th when actually she would be 90 ......i did an embroidered card for her which i gave her yesterday ......today she is saying she is 70 and that the card is wrong because she is 100
She has planned this huge party for 29th but theres no way its going to happen and we cant possibly let her great grandchildren see her like this

Big {{{HUG}}} [SIZE="[SIZE="1"]Helena. My heart goes out to you. Nell[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Helena said:

Big {{{HUG}}}SIZE="1"]Helena. My heart goes out to you. Nell[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Helena

May 24, 2006
Oh it gets worse or better depending on your point of view

After the tears and confusion of Sunday

She wakes up Monday morning ..........devours 3 boxes of chocolates before breakfast

then breakfast and lunch

A friend goes to see her and brings chocolate biscuits and a sandwich these are devoured

My Sister goes and is very rudely asked "well what have you bought me ?"
and is then harranged by my Mother ( my sister can barely afford the petrol never mind the £2.50 parking charge or the box of chocolates she bought her on Saturday )

Mother then in a very loud voice is rude and abusive about everyone on the ward and tells my sister she can take away my Card and hers because she does not want them ......she is 100 and not 90

Friend says she has arranged for other from the Flower group to visit during the week and Mother says " I dont like them tell them not to come "

and the doctors say " She has made a miraculous recovery and they will work to discharging her this week "

Now its my gentle sister in flood of tears and extremely upset at the way Mother treated her and is behaving and me likewise

Yeah I know its the Multi Infarct Dementia but that does not excuse any of it

She is now more demented than ever and My sister and I are now not going to be contactable and they had better section Mother

Last edited:

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Helena said:
She is now more demented than ever and My sister and I are now not going to be contactable and they had better section Mother

Dear Helena,

{{{ }}} Life is cruel isn't it? I was talking to one of the staff at M&D's Hostel about some of the residents having no visitors, and she said "Sometimes they bring it on themselves. They've been so hard on their nearest and dearest that those people can no longer bear to see them." It sounds like you've reached this point.

Can I suggest you take a week (or more) off? Relax, enjoy life as much as you can, etc. - then try another visit? Perhaps try to alter your mindset (easier said than done!) to think of her as a "poor sick old lady" instead of as "my mother". This way it might be easier to let the insults slide off. . . . ?

Whatever happens, you must comfort yourself with the knowledge that you've done as much as you can for her. Please don't let her bitterness become part of your soul. Caring thoughts are winging their way to you. Nell

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Carolann

Am so sorry to read about your mother passing away, I must of miss this thread somehow ((Hugs))

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Dear Helena,

Your thoughts on being "uncontactable" are understandable, given everything that you have gone through with your mother. However, if you feel that she really is in need of full-time care in a care home, now is the best time to make that point (in writing) to the officials invovled.

There is a useful fact sheet on hospital discharge on the main Society site:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Caring_for_someone_with_dementia/Residential_and_nursing_care/info_hospitaldischarge.htm

There should be some process where her needs post-discharge are assessed. If you make it clear that you feel that she is not safe living on her own (and being on the floor for three days certainly demonstrates that) they will have to consider a full-time care home placement - even if that means sectioning her.

In hospital it may seem feasible to put some kind of home-based care package in place. But you can tell them how your mother is likely to react to such a plan in practice (even if she agrees in hospital).

It will be harder to get a thorough assessment in future if she returns home.

Take care,

Sandy

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Dear Helena

I agree that while Mum is in hospital that is an excellent chance to get your point across and tell them that she cannot look after herself. My mother in law is currently in hospital, the second time in three weeks. The first time she was admitted she had a chest/urine infection, she was discharged on the friday only after they confirmed with my 86 yr. old father in law that he could still look after her (he can't but that's a different story) my husband and I explained that he doesn't do 'personal' carers come in 3 times a day, but the consultant says no wonder she has urine infections she needs changing more often, (we know that) anyway she came home by hospital transport - no underwear, and no pad, and my husband had specifically requested the evening before to make sure she was padded up before dischage - no problem - it obviously was!

The next day, Saturday the lunchtime carer returned her to bed as she wasn't well,when we arrived she was asleep,

when she awoke she was having hallucinations and then chronic diarrhoea, I had to deal with all of that and then when she was back in bed it happened again, I said I couldn't cope a 2nd time, my husband took over and phoned the doctor, my father in law wanted to wait for the evening carers assessment, we overode that decision - Dr. arrived and she was re admitted to hospital, where it was confirmed that she had colostridium difficile, very infectious diarroah bug. She was put in a side room on a coronary care unit!
a dirty nightdress was put unbagged into the bedside locker - no wonder they have bugs. After a couple of days they needed that bed, so was transferred to the isolation ward, although she had diarrhoea she was improving and walking about - you can't make an alzheimer patient stay in a room. My brother in law took his mum to the hospital cafe, when we visited he caught us up and took us into the cafe, said this visit was much easier because she was interested in all the people in the cafe, I questioned him on bring her to the cafe, he said it was okayed by a nurse. Anyway, she wet herself all over the floor - no pad - it was cordoned off and housekeeping were called to clear it up . Back on the ward I queried that she was allowed to the cafe, the nurse said what has she got when I said c. diff. she said definitely not, my brother in law stated that he had asked a nurse pointed out which one, and then this nurse said if she said it was okay then it was (obviously one nurse was more senior) I then queried (this was my first visit to the isolation ward) why the lady visiting the next door room had got plastic apron and gloves on, and we were told hasn't anyone told you you must put them on (hang on - she has been in the cafe) so all week we have been putting them on. We have not taken her out of the ward, and one day I even reported some poo on her chair!!
Anyway, she continues to make good progress, but they have convinced my father in law that she requires 24hr. care and they are carrying out an assessment, and she will go into a care home on her discharge, (she is classed as an unsafe discharge) we have been saying this for 2 years but father in law says the hospital confirmed it!!AAAAAAAArgh .

I think you need to be talking with social services hospital department.

My best wishes to you.

Carol x

ps. We are very sad that she is going into 24hr. care but she will receive all the help that she requires (which is a lot) and she will have a lot more dignity - and gosh she deserves that more than anything. We all love her and want what is the very best for her needs, and that wasn't happening in her home environment.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello carolann,

just caught up with this post
just to give you my deepest sympathies on your mums passing
take care x

Helena

May 24, 2006
Oh its gets even murkier today

Yesterday someone left a message on BIL mobile phone to say

" they were discharging her to her home on Monday "

Sister and BIL dash over to hospital but no one can tell them anything

Today I phoned PALS and her consultant

Told a pack of lies by the Consultant

Discovered they have not done an assesment and in fact have not followed any of the rules

Social Worker plus PALs guy both agree correct protocols have not been followed

I have insisted she is properly assesed for continuing care from both clinical and mental grounds

Social Worker has tried 3 times to asses her without joy because Mother is so crazy (something like 6 boxes of chocolates in 3 days )

So no MMSE has been done

Will see what tommorow brings

Thank goodness for all the info though from MSN group Free nursing Care plus www.************

The hospital now know I am not to be messed with

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
Just thought I would like to update everyone who has been kind enough to post their messages of sympathy regards the passing of my Mum. It was her funeral yesterday, it was a beautiful sunny day, everything we had planned for her funeral was perfect. I have mentioned previously that she was a member of the Salvation Army, so we had a service at Salvation Army Hall with the band playing for the hymns and the male voice choir also sang. My Aunty read out a family tribute to Mum which I had prepared on behalf of my sister and brother, but we were not strong enough to read it out. The Manager of the Care Home asked if she could say a little passage from the Bible during the service and ten of the staff from the Care Home came to the funeral. Mum was creamated and when we came out of the Crematorium the funeral director said the singing had been lovely.
I thought I was going to have a really bad day, and of course I shed many tears and will no doubt do so in the future. I loved and cared for my Mum so much but all I could think of yesterday was that she was now at peace away from this confused world she had been living in, and it gave me so much comfort.
I will still be browsing and offering my opinions when I think I can be of some help.
Take Care Everyone,
Carolann

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I loved and cared for my Mum so much but all I could think of yesterday was that she was now at peace away from this confused world she had been living in, and it gave me so much comfort.

What a lovely thought thanks -you for shareing Carolann ((Hugs)))

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi carolann,

thanks for sharing your day with us, its sounded like a lovely service,
may you always keep the comfort you felt
take care xxx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member