Journey's End...

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
My mum's journey through life ended on 18 April.

She'd been in hospital all over Christmas and came home in the New Year with a palliative care package. They expected her to live for about 2 weeks.

She had an underlying urine infection that kept recurring and needed intravenous antibiotics. Over the Christmas period she had five cannulas inserted and pulled them all out.

Since Christmas,as well as the uti, she had a chest infection that wouldn't clear up and then she got shingles on her scalp. She was in terrible pain.

On the Wednesday before she died she just stopped eating and drinking and refused all medication. We had to resort to a pain relief patch that just knocked her out.

By Friday she was on morphine injections and on Saturday a syringe driver was fitted. She wasn't really conscious after that.

I spent the weekend in bed with her just holding her and talking to her - even though I know she couldn't hear me.

My sister called for a few minutes on Friday and again on Saturday. One brother called on Saturday and on Sunday but he couldn't stay - he had to go to a barbecue. The other brother didn't come at all.

It wasn't the death I'd hoped for for my mum, I'd hoped she would just go in her sleep. Instead she needed lots of injections of drugs I'd managed to keep her free of all her life.

Monday morning came and mum left us. It was a time of relief that her suffering was ended and sadness that she'd gone.

My daughter, my friend and I washed her body and her hair and changed her into a clean nightie. We blow-dried her hair and laid her in a clean bed. She looked beautiful and relaxed.

On Easter Saturday we took her back to her birthplace, a tiny island off the coast of Connemara in Southern Ireland. She was received into Church on Easter Sunday and she lay there until her funeral on Easter Monday morning, then she was buried alongside her parents.

The funeral was a truly beautiful and joyous affair, all said and sung in her native tongue - Gaelic. Family attended from all parts of Ireland and more than 200 people came to pay their respects. For those two days she really was treated as if she were the Queen of Galway - as she had thought she was! My absent brother and sister remained absent.

We came home this morning and all mum's equipment was removed this afternoon. The house feels strangely silent.

I don't know why but I feel at peace.

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this site, you've been a great source of support and information. I wish you all well as you continue your own journeys.

Maureen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Maureen I am so sorry to hear your news. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Maureen,

What an inspiring, although sad, story you tell. I'm glad you feel at peace. I think you do because you did everything possibly could for your mother. To have acceptance and peace is a wonderful thing.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Dear Maureen
I am so sorry to hear about your Mum , please accept my condolences

My love and thoughts are with you

wispa

Nov 5, 2009
So sorry to hear your very sad news. Your Mum is at peace now which is why you feel at peace yourself. What a beautiful funeral to end a very long journey.

Take care of yourself.

X

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Maureen, I'm sorry to read the sad news about your mother. Your description of her funeral however was wonderful. Your mum was lucky to have your love and care for so long. Please take time for yourself now. Love and much respect from Deborah.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
So sorry to hear your news - it sounds like your Mum had a beautiful funeral and she would be very proud of all you have done for her.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sending my sincere condolences Maureen. What a beautiful send off you gave your mum. x

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Dear Maureen,
Your dear Mum is at peace and I am sure she knew you were with her.
What a lovely funeral for a much loved lady.
Keep looking in on us as I am sure you will have valuable help for those of us left looking after our friends and relatives.

Take care and God bless.
xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Maureen

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother.

I`m sorry both of you suffered during her final hours but it was out of your control.

What you ould conrol sounds beautiful.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
You have written this sad news so beautifully and I am truly sorry to hear of your Mother's passing.

My condolences on your loss.

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Oh Mo, your care before death was amazing and equally the care you gave to her after death was just as caring.

I wish you all peace and time to reflect and enjoy those memories of your lovely mum.

Always here for you.

x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Maureen, I am so sorry to your very sad news. Your description of your mum's final journey is so moving.

Turbo

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Thank you so much for sharing this tribute with us.

My husband too if from an island off Co.Mayo and I can visualise the beauty of your mums final resting place.

Sending love and sympathy.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My condolences on the loss of your mother, Maureen.
Those few sad days were but a tiny fraction of her life and yours; you deserve the peace you now feel, and I felt joy myself at reading of your mother's funeral and your subsequent peace.
God bless you,
sleepless x

Anne&C

Jan 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
Maureen I've been moved to tears by your wonderful tribute to your mother. How lucky that she had a daughter who looked after her so well right to the end.

God bless, Anne xx

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Maureen, please accept my sympathies for the loss of your Mum. You are one dedicated lady, and you have my admiration for everything you did. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that you did so much for your Mum. Wishing you all peace. xx

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
my condolences

To the Queen of Galway - rest in peace. To her faithful Maureen - well done you!

Thank you for sharing the end of your Mum's journey with us.

Sue.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan