Nursing home food

eddiemorris

Apr 28, 2011
Widnes
Hi all,
I am a chef in a nursing home dealing with clients with EMI and dementia, I was wondering if anyone would like to contribute to our new summer menu with ideas based on thier own experiences. I am a NVQ 3 qualified chef with a vast experience of working in restaurants, however I have found developing menus for my clients in the home very challenging, I currently cook all meals from scratch using fresh ingredients and provide as many snacks as I possibly can, any help would be much appreciated and would greatly benefit the elderly residents in our home.
Thanks
Eddie

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Eddie, so glad you have come here to ask this. You must be a pretty special chef to care so much.

I haven`t got any recipe idesas however, I do have quite a few tips learnt from first hand experience.

One of the main thing with catering for people with dementia is to make sure that the dining experience is a happy one,lots of chit chat,a bit of background music etc.

Make sure the food looks pleasing to the eye and make sure the plates used are suitable.We use plates with a bright border so the people can see the rim of the plate.

Another trick,which I swear by,is to buy a tablecloth from the Range which has lots of pictures of chocolates on it. Since we have had this we have never had an empty plate,it must stimulate the appetite.

Give people plenty of time to eat and reheat if necessary,some of our clients take an hour to eat their lunch.

Many have a real sweet tooth. I have heard of chefs mixing savoury with sweet things to encourage people to eat.

We serve all sorts of dishes. Today we had chicken,pasta with potatoes in a cream sauce:D Everyone ate the whole lot.

Don`t be afraid to experiment,whilst most like plain old fashioned food I have been suprised with what they will eat.

Lots of finger food is good for people who can no longer manage a knife and fork,this way they still have their independance.

Don`t worry if people aren`t always hungery at set times,just leave plenty of snacks out,like you do.

Alot of people with demntia do have problems swallowing so a soft diet will be needed for some.

Get the care staff to make sure they all have correct fitting dentures!!!!

Have picnics outside!!!!

Others will give you some recipes no doubt soon.

Good luck!!:)

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Eddie, hello and welcome to Talking Point
What a wonderful job you have landed, such fun to do a good job for people who really need you.
Whatever you cook and serve up please don't worry how it is eaten, as long as it is eaten and enjoyed then you are doing a good job. Whatever utensils or fingers or feeding or eating straight off plates, it's good food doing good and being enjoyed, there can be no more reward.
Little portions of fresh and nutritious food, cooked and served with pleasure and pride, you won't go far wrong.
I look forward to hearing how you get on and to getting any tips you can pass on, I hope you have fun too!
With best wishes from Jo

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Eddie,
Welcome from me too.
I cannot give you any tips but you could be the next new celeb chef if you listen to all the advice you will get here on Talking Point. Move over Jamie and listen to Eddie! I like Danny's idea of pictures on the tablecloth. Perhaps the menu board/card should be pictures of your appetising offerings?

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Eddie, welcome to Talking Point

I wonder if you have seen the AS factsheet re food, it might be of some interest to you.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/document_pdf.php?documentID=1614

From my own experience as a carer, I found that small meals, and snacks, offered throughout the day worked best. Also brightly coloured food, tomato soup was a favourite :)

Good luck with your menus. Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes to you xx

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Hello Eddie,

Thanks for being so caring and wanting to make sure your clients get a good diet.

Haven't really got any ideas for you except that you may run into someone like my mum who went through a phase where she wouldn't eat anything except potato and cheese with the occassional bit of cauliflower mashed into the potato - because they were the main things that weren't coloured (just to be completely opposite to Christins suggestion, she wouldn't eat anything that had any colour in it at all :D) Puddings were generally wolfed down:D (well they're sweet aren't they, regardless of the colour). She is still a nightmare to feed but at least has a slightly wider diet now, and if she won't eat the main they give her another pudding so she's at least getting something down her neck.

Finger foods are good, though mum sometimes doesn't like touching food - a bit difficult if it's a sandwich, but then she apparently uses a spoon. The manager says she doesn't care how she eats it just so long as she does.

Chris

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Grandad judges how good a meal was by how much difficulty he has eating it.

For example last week a meal was lousy because they'd cut the carrots into sticks (is that Juliene style???) and he found it difficult to get them on the fork.

Mixed veg is another one he doesn't like because he wants all his veg separate.

Meat, pastry and roast potatoes can be hard to cut so that makes a meal lousy if you ask him.

Todays meal was bangers and mash - he was thrilled because the sausage didn't have a tough skin and was a good fat one rather than a tough skinny one.

Colours and tastes are important - he doesn't like stew or casseroles etc any more because everything tastes the same.

We were impressed when we discovered that the care home Grandad is in purees each veg and other items separately and presents them on the plate seperately for residents finding difficulty chewing - most homes just seem to blend everything together. It takes them longer to do it - but looks and I would imagine tastes much better.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Eddie,

How wonderful that you are taking such trouble.

My Mum's favourites at the moment are plain and simple bangers and mash, fish of any kind as long as it has creamy parsley sauce on it, scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes, beef hotpot made with thin slices of potato on the top, cheese pie made with cheese, mild onions and mashed potato which is then browned in the oven and good old fish and chips.

None of this is gourmet grub but she eats it all with relish and doesn't leave much on the plate. Oh, and she loves mushrooms, fried, grilled or creamed.

She won't wear her dentures but it doesn't stop her sucking her toast to death. She loves her food!!! :D:D

bethan

Dec 15, 2009
lovely to hear of someone so caring.
It seems everyone is so different - my mum gets very distressed at large portions, she has always been the type to clear her plate so as not to waste, and when presented with a large meal or snack becomes very upset.
Soup always seems welcome
Beth

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum has a snack of a tiny slice of tray-bake with slices of fruit for an afternoon snack.

She lives old fashioned puddings she remembers from her childhood - anything recipe less than 40 years old just won't do!

eddiemorris

Apr 28, 2011
Widnes
Thank you all so much for the replies, I will certainly take on board all of your suggestions. What wonderful people you are, I hope I am going to be able to make a difference to the clients in our home and make mealtimes the highlight of thier day, thank you once again.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
It's really heart warming to see you posting here, Eddie. Good food is such an important aspect of care, it really can't be underestimated.

I would like to add that sometimes residents don't feel like whatever is the main item on the menu and it is nice to think that an attractive alternative is available. Omelettes were quite good for my mum because they were soft and nutritious, and she loved banana custard and anything creamy.

I know this is going to sound a bit wierd but she absolutely loved soft herring roes, gently fried in butter and served on toast or later, on soft white bread. Very nutritious and tasty! I don't know if you can still get them now: I tried in S********'s the other day and they said they don't sell them anymore.:(

Also, one last thing. Although some people need and enjoy a lot of chatter and background noise, my mum and a few other residents found it hard to settle if the room was noisy. My mum's CH had a quiet dining room for some residents and it proved to be a godsend.

I do wish you every success in your job. Thank you so much for caring. Your enthusiasm will be a huge boon wherever you work.

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello Eddie

It is really lovely of you to care so much to get it right for your residents - just a thought to agree with others the old fashioned favourites go down a treat. I've been watching Masterchef, maybe you did to, and they had a task to cook for war vets and the di just that Eccles cakes, Battenburg old fashioned stuff and they all loved it. When people have something familiar it is comforting, but if you then serve something new as well they may want to try that too because they're encouraged by there being something familiar - don't know if you get what I mean - not expressing myself very well.

Let us know how you get on and perhaps we can get some tips of you - perhaps you cna get the BBC to do a carehomes Masterchef??

All the best

Sue J

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Hi Eddie, congratulations on your new job and i hope the CH appreciates all your efforts in doing this research.

Ok a few things my mother likes, although remember you are working with dementia and what one likes one day one will not like the next sometimes!!!

Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs cooled and sliced thickly - unless they can still manage boiled egg and soldiers!!! Porridge, try oatmeal rather than porridge it is finer and can taste much nicer.

Omelettes stuffed with cheese a great favourite lite lunch.

Bangers and mash, juicy butchers sausages not skinny tough ones (as someone previously mentioned) in gravy with mash, my mother loves mashed turnips (swedes to those south of the border).

Fish pie, not smoked fish, cheese sauce, peas, and mash on top.

Tuna mash, with finely chopped spring onions.

Macaroni cheese, BIG FAVOURITE with garlic bread!!!!

Sausage rolls, mini party sizes, soft broccoli, sadly more cooked than you should but hey ho.:rolleyes:

Mince and small chopped veg, in a thicker gravy rather than runny type. With mash pots and pastry squares, small enough to be finger food.

Chicken pie in sauce and the trimmings.

My mother personally doesn't like chips, but does enjoy mashed potatoes, or noisettes of potatoes, potato croquettes and small baked potatoes either with a filling or with a main meal. They must not have a hard skin, and preferably peeled of skin.

Puddings, jelly, custard, fruit crumbles, eves puddings, (this although traditional with apples, she loves rhubard sponge ((please dont make too tart)), pineapple upside down sponge. Steamed sponges and cream/custard. Scottish clottie dumpling (now there's a trial for you!) :D;), apple pie squares and so on. Any soft fruit and sweet with it. Eclairs are also enjoyed, the choux pastry is very soft. Donuts with jam warmed are very tasty too.

I can not speak for others just my experience. If serving cucumber, please skin it and cube it small. If serving tomatoes again skin as much as possible. Things that we take for granted just cause mass problems for people who still enjoy food but cant understand possibly how to chew through and also as another said dentures are a major problem. My mother has no bottom teeth or dentures, the home is great but this is a bug bare with me that the more often than not forget to put on the denture glue to keep them in place and allow her to eat.

I hope this helps a little. Home baked tray bakes are great, brownies, almond sponge and so on. Drop scones (scotch pancakes), quick easy and lovely hot!

All this is trial and error but if it looks good and resembles what they are meant to be eating then that's all the better. Small portions but well balanced is the most important. Mid morning is a great time for fruit pots, chopped fruit in finger size pieces can be appetising, and even made into a game - not all will eat but my mother likes it this way.

Much good wishes and do let us know how you get on.

:):):D x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Ok a few things my mother likes, although remember you are working with dementia and what one likes one day one will not like the next sometimes!!!

Imac,
Brilliant, you should apply to the pilot of "BBC Master Carehome Chef" as a consultant/researcher!

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Eddie was wondering how you were getting on with your recipes and if there is anything you can share with us that we can use for our loved ones to help them eat should they be at that stage?

eddiemorris

Apr 28, 2011
Widnes
Update

Well what a challenging week!!! But what a worth while one. We have had salmon darnes, home made cheesecakes, 52 cooked breakfasts everyday, roast turkey, a Ruby wedding anniversary celebration for which I made a anniversary cake and provided a buffet which they asoloutely loved. I have tried to cater for the individual client on a day by day basis and give them what ever they ask for really, Ruben, one of our clients will end up looking like sausage & beans!! I would like to thank you all for they advice that you have given me to help me with this challenging job. One negative aspect is some of the carers, whilst trying to implement some of the guidlines that I was given on here regards meal times, i.e no tv, background music, I was met with resistance. I am of the opinion that it is the carers that are actually watching the anyway tv and not the clients, I mean ' jeremy kyle' The clue is in the title of the job ' carer' I really cant understand why they are so reluctant to try something new which may benefit our clients.

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
i.e no tv, background music, I was met with resistance. I am of the opinion that it is the carers that are actually watching the anyway tv and not the clients, I mean ' jeremy kyle' The clue is in the title of the job ' carer' I really cant understand why they are so reluctant to try something new which may benefit our clients.

First let me say well done for trying your utmost to cater for all your residents, it gives us all hope that there are good cooks/chefs out there willing to try and think outside the box.

Secondly - indeed Jeremy Kyle, hmmm i shall say no more as i don't want to get into a court case for slander! I suggest that you could maybe have a quiet word with the manager and see if a 'trial' period of no tv at mealtimes may work, if this is something that you wish to pursue. A trial is always reversible should need be.

Once again, well done you and more power to your elbow ;)

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Great to hear from you again Eddie - I love your approach. I agree with Imac - the clients deserve your caring approach but as for the 'carers' - well, least said the better.