Paying for Respite care

Adnkt

Apr 24, 2011
Warwickshire
I've been caring full time for my Mum for 3 months without any break,and would like to go away for a weekend in a couple of weeks. I don't want mum to be disrupted by going in to a home and have asked our care agency, who are excellent, if they could provide a sitter for 50 hours.If mum were able to make rational decisions I know she would happily pay for the care, but she isn't. I've asked the social worker if I should pay it myself or if I can use some of mum's money, which is mounting up because I'm not using any of her pension.She suggested Crossroads or asking for some funding from SS but couldn't tell me about using mum's money.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Do you have any form of power of attorney?

Not that I think that's entirely relevant here.

If she was placed by social services in respite and she had assets, then she'd be expected to pay, even if it was you drawing the money out of her account, so I don't see this as any different. Just make sure you create a paper trail so that if some point in the future you are asked "what happen to £X withdrawn on this date?" you can say - here's the paperwork. To be honest, the only situation I can think of where this might come up is if you intended to place your mother in a care home permanently in the next 6 months, say.

Are you taking any money from your mother for her upkeep? I think if you aren't you might be well advised to start doing so - it's inevitable that you will have increased costs, particularly for energy and food, and taking an adequate and regular amount each week would be entirely appropriate.

Incidentally - if you used crossroads, some one would still have to pay - such things aren't free. I would also suggest, for the future, that you do get a carer's assessment for yourself which may get you paid respite. If you've had one, but respite wasn't mentioned, well that's just wrong.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Adnkt

I have included a link here re benefits which might be of help to you.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/document_pdf.php?documentID=51

We were in much the same position for sometime, and we were told that we could claim attendance allowance, FIL had refused all benefits as he said he didn't need them, and of course he didn't, but we did at that time! :)

I also think that SS could arrange a financial assessment for your mum, this way if her savings are below the maximum limit, you may be entitled to help towards respite, but it does vary from area to area.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes to you, I hope you have a good break. x

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
If you do speak to SS and get a carer's assesment be careful how you phrase the care you want. If you are self funding, the respite given is for you and if you need carer's to come in it will need to be paid for from your mum's funds.
I don't think there would be a problem with this either, and it's what we have to do even though we are given respite funds for ourselves. The distinction is hard to follow!!!