feeling no pain is this normal for alzheimers patients

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
hi my mum recently had quite a bad trip over and she bruised all her lower legs and in her foot she ripped the ligaments of teh bone taking some bone with it. she felt no pain and her leg has swollen right up and has turned black but she manages to wlak on it and has no pain, i cant quite belive she has no pain, someone told me alzheimers patients sometimes cannot feel the pain. gosh i wish i could bottle it

Jasper3

Oct 28, 2010
Devon
Mum fell up some concrete steps two weeks ago on monday
she smashed her mouth, her nose was swollen, she had two black eyes ... when the doctor asked her how she did it...she could'nt remember..a week later.all the bruising and cuts have healed :eek:

now she says..what fall

I'm still mending my broken heart after Helen had a go at me :D

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Think it's quite common. The manager at mum's CH said they have to be so careful if anyone falls as they once had a lady who said she was ok and nothing hurt but they noticed her leg was a bit of a funny shape and she'd actually broken it.

With my mum it seems to be the opposite. When I do her toenails you'd think I was cutting her toes off with the 'Oh it hurts. I'll have to go home':eek: There's nothing really wrong with her nails and she never bothered when I did them before she became ill.

She also used to come out in sympathy if her friend in the CH said her throat hurt mum would start rubbing her shoulder saying that hurt. If it wasn't the shoulder it would be her ear or her teeth. She seems to have cured the latter by losing her false teeth - wrapped in a tissue and lobbed in the bin we think.:D

Chris

johnpatcarl

Dec 7, 2007
SELBY NORTH YORKSHIRE
Hi bonnie i was so glad to see this thread, before my wife was diagnosed with dementia her arthritis was so bad that i have had to stop the car and console her as she cried with pain after driving over a speed bump, now she does not mention pain at all i have to watch her reactions to know if she is in pain, she is on zomorph slow release morphine and i have oromorph to give her when i can see she is hurting. I asked her consultant if dementia had any effect on the pain receptors in the brain or if the medication she was on stopped the pain, and i never got a straight answer so i suspect that nobody knows all i can say is it does not make caring easier.take care johnx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I wish... but against that, I think I would get the leg checked out in case there is more damage than bruising. My MIL went for 6 weeks on a fractured ankle, and she COULD feel the pain, she just thought it was her Arthritis!!:)

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
I'm glad someone has asked this, because I have been wondering for some time if this is the case, or if MIL's distrust of doctors means she just refuses to tell me she is in pain.
She has a belly button infection, and also under her breasts, which often flare up and are red raw and bleeding ( as she won't wash, or let me help her, I only find out if I manage to get her to change her clothes and notice the blood) which when pointed out she happily slaps the sore part and says " well it doesn't hurt, don't fuss, I'm not going to the doctor"
She's also fallen and cut her hand badly during the night, but not been able to feel it.