Voting

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
With the local elections coming up soon I wonder what to do about gary's vote. He is, of course on the electoral role and technically is entitled to vote but I don't think he has the capacity. I don't know whether to take him to the polling station to vote if he wants to or not. If I take him, I'm sure he wouldn't be able to go into a booth on his own and tick/cross the boxes and of course I can't do it for him - do I just try snd pretend it's not happening?

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Just my opinion, but if Gary isn't aware of whats involved and can't go into the booth alone then perhaps the best thing to do is vote if you want to then leave it at that.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Elaine,

When Peter's voting paper came through when he had Alzheimer's like you I had the same problem.

I contacted the Local Council and was told to tick the relevant box myself.

I had explained he had Alzheimer's.

In all honestly I did not use his vote..

Best wishes
Christine

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
During voting day they often knock on the door (we're a very small village and they canvass endlessly) and I'm also responsible for the village hall bookings :( where the voting is taking place so I don't know if I can keep him away from it. i suppose at worst he'll cross every name and spoil his vote

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The last time Dhiren voted in a Booth he told me he wanted to make sure his candidate won so he put a X at both sides of his name.

He was a staunch supporter at the time so it made me very sad to realize he`d spoilt his vote.

When he was at home but unable to get to the Pollong Station I arraged a Postal Vote, asked who he wanted and put his X in for him. I`m not sure what happens now. I`ll ask when I go.

The last time Dhiren voted in a Booth he told me he wanted to make sure his candidate won so he put a X at both sides of his name.

He was a staunch supporter at the time so it made me very sad to realize he`d spoilt his vote.

As long as his Xs were both beside the same name, so it was obvious which candidate he was voting for, it was probably accepted as a vote! I've seen them going through possibly spoilt ballots: anything with handwriting is a no-no (might be able to identify the voter from their writing, in theory), but I think a smiley face was OK once as long as it was a clear indication beside one and only one candidate! People do some weird things with their votes. Pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You surprise me Pam.

I thought anything other than an X in the one place meant a spoilt paper. It`s nice to know there is some room for human error. :)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
It may be too late now but I suggest you organise a proxy postal vote for next time. It was very simple to organise. I hope Gary manages to vote - I know the last time David did it himself he messed up and crossed twice :rolleyes:.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I arranged for Mum to have a postal vote a couple of years ago, because she was losing her sight. I'm fairly sure that you can be accompanyied to the booth if you need physical help, have you tried ringing the Town Hall? I needn't worry about making Mum's vote, there is only one way she would ever vote and will come back to haunt me if I crossed the wrong name!!:)

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
I used to work as a Returning Officer many years ago and every time we had people who couldn't read or write and had to close the polling station and explain everything to them, make sure they understood etc - not sure what the situation is now. At that time too we always had a policeman on duty outside!! - I am going back a bit!! At the local elections after the vote had finished we had to do the count so it was a terribly long day, quite exciting though. There would be crowds outside (usually after midnight) waiting for the result, cheering etc.
It would be far too traumatic to take my husband to the polling station because he would be so confused so I applied for postal votes for both of us and we do it quietly at home together. I think he understands!! Good luck and take care. Sox

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
When they won't take no for an answer

My mum says she won't vote any more because she cannot understand who is who, and what their policies are, and therefore could not make an informed choice. I think this is very responsible of her. She brought me up to value my vote so much and takes it very seriously. Women died to win us the vote etc. etc.

So when she got a form last year asking her to re-register for the electoral roll we threw it away. I also rang the authorities to explain why she didn't wish to vote. This was followed by ever more insistent letters, then a threat to send someone round to the house to take the details, so in the end I filled in the form for a postal vote. When the ballot papers arrive I check with her that she still doesn't want to vote, then dispose of them. Personally I don't think it is right to complete the ballot paper on behalf of someone else unless the problem for them is purely a physical disability.

Perhaps the canvassers and nosy neighbours can be put off with you telling them that you've already done a postal vote and that as it is a secret ballot you don't want to discuss your choice/s?

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Vic has a postal vote and has a waiver as he is unable to write and sign it so I vote as his proxy easy to set up but may be to late for these elections.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I arranged a postal vote for David but before that I was 'given permission' to go into the booth with him.

Love

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Well after all the worry about it, I asked Gary today if he wanted to vote next week and he said NO!:eek: I shan't try and persuade him because I'm sure he realises that he doesn't really understand what it's all about anymore, it's all too confusing these days I suspect