Possible Cure

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thanks for the link.

from what ive read its not a cure as such,but its a
HUGEadvance , I nearly danced for joy when I read the article.

it sure is wonderful news

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
The trials of this drug were stopped a few years ago because of problems like meningitis associated with its use.

P

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
This is the wikipedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bapineuzumab

These new trials seem to be using lower dose, but despite the flurry of news reports, there does not appear to be any "new" news. Cynical me says someone needs their stock price supported.

There are unlikely to be any results available for at least another year, perhaps two.

So without wishing to be a downer, I think there is a way to go yet.

missmo

Feb 26, 2011
Cheshire
It does say in the report that it is being tested on 10,000 patients including some in UK, Id like to know where these patients are and how you get to be involved in such trials as we never seem to hear of them or be invited to be involved.

xx mo

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I did see that they finished recruiting people in the UK in January 2011 for this trial which will run for 18 months.

In the US, such trials are advertised, see here http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00575055 but I'm not sure how they are managed in the UK.

I'm a great believer in clinical trials, as my husband benefited from one for CLL. However, the problem with ones like this one (where half the participants will not receive the medication) is that, well, 1/2 of the participants will just receive a placebo. Of course, every trial that is safe has merit, and someone had to be in the placebo group.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Something I wanted to add. When it comes to clinical trials, unless it is a multi-site trial (and often, in the UK, it will be a single site for an international trial) whether you get on a trial is purely down to your own location. In my husbands case, he only got in the trial because the trial designer was in our city (Pittsburgh). If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't have had the opportunity as there were a lot of tests and medications to be taken at very specific times.

missmo

Feb 26, 2011
Cheshire
Had a look at the websites and they do loads of trials in different parts of US but not as many in UK, there are some clinical trials being dont in Wales and you can register but as pointed out already I do think it is down to the area you live in. Heres hoping they find a cure soon or at least to stop the disease deteriation altogether.

xx mo

comane

Jan 20, 2010
UK
There will be a cure, perhaps in 10 years. 2 years seems too optimistic. Cures for various cancers are appearing but there are vast sums available for cancer research and very little for Alzheimer's. More public awareness is needed so that funds can be raised. Things are beginning to happen. For instance in todays "Celebrity's cash in the attic" TV programme the charity was Alzheimer' Society:)

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan