They have taken her away!

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
My wife went to the day care centre this morning and when the home treatment team brought her home they said that she was very disturbed, hallucinating and aggresive. They recommended that she be taken in hospital for assessement and she has meekly gone with them.
What's gone wrong, what do I do next. They said I shouldn't visit her until Sunday. We haven't been that long apart in 20 years.
I'm so depressed.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I am so sorry. I'm not sure if this is of any use to you under these circumstances but has she been checked for any infection? I'd like to think the assessment unit would do that, and they probably will, but it does no harm to make sure - if this is a rapid deterioration it could be caused by an infections (or, in fact, constipation).

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Hi Jennifer,
This has been getting worse over the past week. See my Thread "I can't take any more". I did get a sample tested on Tuesday and she is not constipated.
Keith

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Keith

Please try to accept what has happened. It is not the end of the road.

My husband went for assessment and when he came home after 19 days, his behaviour was more manageable.
Yes, he was given drugs to calm him but the dose was small and monitored regularly by the CPN and consultant.

Your wife will be kept under observation and I hope will be helped. X

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm sorry Keith - I had missed your other thread.

I'm glad Sylvia has posted as I know the assessment unit was very helpful for Dhiren. I'm wondering - you're in a similar area: it may even be the same assessment unit.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Hi just wanted you to know am thinking of you xxx My mum was taken into hospital under simmilar circumsatnces, sthings are calmer now and her "discharge" is beging planned.

Not visiting until sunday seems a long way off, can you ring the hospital for more guidance? xxx

Greensleeves

Mar 30, 2011
Mid Wales
Dear Keith

I read your post when you were awake nearly all night coping with your wife's confusion and I felt so much for you. My husband went into a care home a year ago and before that he too was losing track of time and would wander about in the middle of the night. I know how exhausting it can be caring for a loved one and I know that at the moment you must be feeling lost and confused and probably frightened as well.

I think the first thing to tell yourself is that she is in the best place to get the care she needs. As others have said, these assessments are really useful and carried out in a kind and caring manner and hopefully consideration will be given not only to her needs, but to yours as well.

On the day before my husband had the stroke which finally dictated that he needed full-time professional care, I had decided I would go to see our GP and say that I could not cope any more. But of course we are always so reluctant to do this, because it feels like such a betrayal of the person we love. But in the end - after extensive counselling - I was able to recognise that the care he receives now is far better than that which I could give him.

I think between now and Sunday, you should use the time you are given to rest and regain your strength. I found the possibility of just getting out and going for a walk without having to worry about what I would find when I got back was quite exhilarating. So rather than sitting wringing your hands and being frightened, take one day at a time and give yourself little targets of things that either need doing or things that you want to do. That way, on Sunday, you will hopefully feel stronger and more able to deal with the situation. And don't torture yourself with 'wild imaginings' - a day at a time, a step at a time, and deal with things as they present themselves. For a few days, try living in the 'now' and enjoy that little piece of quiet you have.

Thinking of you,
GS

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Keith

Im sorry your wife had to be admitted for assessment, I can only guess how worried you are, especially being asked not to visit till Sunday.
but that doesnt mean you cant phone up to ask after your wife

I would find it very difficult to say the least not being allowed to visit, even though its for good reasons.

I know you took a urine sample in for testing earlier this week, have you had the results back yet, if not phone the assessment unit and ask if they would test her urine for infection
xxxx

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Hi all,
Thanks for all your caring thoughts, it makes a big difference to me.
Firstly, the results show that she does have an infection and they have started her on antibiotics already. Spoke to the ward nurse and she seems to be settling down although a little anxious.
Secondly, my sons have persuaded me to go to the Margate Beer Festival tomorrow, so that should dull the pain a bit.
Not long till Sunday, smile and wave!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Admission

Dear kd

Sorry to hear that your wife has had to be admitted but I'm sure it's a good thing - they have established already that she has an infection and have started treating, that has got to be good. Hopefully, her anxiety will settle as she responds to the treatment. It must be incredibly hard for you to be apart - but lovely to know that your son is ther to support you.

Go to the beer festival and recharge some of your heavily depleted batteries - I know yours are heavy duty I can tell from your posts - but even heavy duty batteries need a recharge. Hopefully, too you will receive some more support after this admission/assessment.

Do take care
Best wishes
Sue J

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Glad your wife has settled and that they're treating an infection. It's scary what an infection can do. Enjoy the festival - have one for us. Cheers!!x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Kd
Its terrifying how such infections affect a person who has dementia isnt it.
I hope the Antibiotics kick in soon.

Am glad your son has persuaded you to go out for a bit of R&R tomorrow, it will do you the world of good
I didnt know there was a beer festival in margate tomorrow, might pop there myself.
xxx

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
It's Sunday and I visited Dot finally. We had the tears and wanting to come home, but, it was just wonderful to see and hold her again.Her ward is an all female ward, and only half full so she has a 2 bed room to herself.
The antibiotics seem to be working in clearing up the UTI and she is looking and sounding better. Not perfect, but better. The staff in the hospital are wonderful and so caring. Ward rounds are Wednesday afternoon and I have been asked if I would like to attend and discuss her case with the consultant (do fish swim?)
I feel so much happier and now know I did the right thing in agreeing to her going for assessment.

I feel a bit of a fraud here as everyone seems to have such terrible problems and I am being lighthearted and positive, but that's how I feel today.
Keith

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Keith never apologize for feeling positive.

I am only too pleased to hear that you can feel positive.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Dear Keith

I'm so pleased for you and that things are being sorted in such a positive way and that your wife is much better.