CH refuse to talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Angry

Account Closed
Mar 11, 2011
I have asked the CH a number of questions such as what is the ratio of staff to residents, do they have a dietician, to can they tell me how my father fell and ended up in hospital and what measures they have put in place to prevent it happening again.

They consider such questions from a relative to be 'aggressive' and state that I am not entitled to the information as I don't have an enduring power of attorney. They have told the SS about my questions and quoted a safeguarding authority, what ever that is. SS also refuse to respond.

It would appear the CH does not like relatives asking questions as if they are not threatening to call the SS they threaten police action and legal action for 'personal allowance expenditure' that my father did not sign for or request.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Tread very carefully or the SS might get worked up. I think they have the power to restrict your access so smile a lot, get to know the staff and then go in for the kill.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Mr Angry
Thats dreadful, doesnt sound a great place, I take it you didnt select it for your dad.

To save any confrontation with the CH I would contact dads Social Worker, ask for a meeting and put your questions to him/her.

Oh yes as Onlyme said, keep smiling with the CH staff, take the wind out of their sails, give em a packet of biscuits, I am sure you can win them over,;) once done I am sure you will have them eating out of your hand, and yes I appreciate it might go against the grain, but hey ho, you are in this for the long haul.

Keep smiling:) and good luck.

Mr_Angry

Account Closed
Mar 11, 2011
Talking to SW

As people who have followed my posts will know; SS have refused to involve me in any aspect of my fathers care and refuse meetings with myself or my solicitor. Attempt to question the CH and I am met with hostility. I still have no idea if my father has been determined as lacking mental capacity regarding where he wishes to live.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi

I have been trying to read all your posts in attempt to catch up with your situation.
You also mention you have a lawyer, are they experienced in this field, if not PM me, I might be able to suggest a firm.

Regards
Cate

Last edited by a moderator:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Have you considered applying for deputyship? That might be the route to go if you haven't managed to get a POA in place. This is the route we will probably have to take with my mother because she was scared out of giving us POA by the doctors in the hospital.

Another suggestion would be to perhaps find an advocacy service to help you rather than a solicitor. Some people see solicitors as representative of some impending legal action and therefore translate their presence to be confrontational rather than enabling.

I can understand your frustrations and the last thing we need is to be bullied by the authorities especially when we are only trying to look after the interests of a loved one who is sick.

Fiona

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
As people who have followed my posts will know; SS have refused to involve me in any aspect of my fathers care and refuse meetings with myself or my solicitor. Attempt to question the CH and I am met with hostility. I still have no idea if my father has been determined as lacking mental capacity regarding where he wishes to live.

Hi Mr Angry,
How far have you got with making formal complaints to the Care Home and the Social Services? Sorry, I have been trying to follow your threads.

Mr_Angry

Account Closed
Mar 11, 2011
Progress to date

A quick overview.

I have a PA over my fathers finances set up many years ago and a recent one which comes into play once he has been confirmed as lacking mental capacity. I do not have a LPA HW hence seeking psychtrists to determine this, finding one willing to go up against SS as my lawayer says 'is like finding a needle in a haystack'.

My father has made formal written statements stating that I should act for him in all aspects of his HW and clearly stating he wishes to remain in his own home. SS have seen this. He has made numerous written and verbal statemets to SS and CH stating he wishes to return home. It has not been confirmed he lacks mental capacity. He has been informally assessed and SS placed him in care under best interests. A DOLS assessment states he is restricted not deprived of liberty (very grey area of semantics)

I have requested a copy of the mental capacity test that was supposed to have been carried out. SS refuse to supply it to myself or lawyer. They ignore my requests for meetings and the lawyers requests. Formal complaint raised at SS and LA complaints officer, no reply but clock still ticking.

I have used data protection act to seek information from the SS, CH. CH refused, SS have not replied. Sort NHS continuing healtcare assessment buck passed to someone else, no reply. Using DPA to access health records and police records as SS claim both his late wife and myself have abused my father. Something he denies.

I have concerns about my fathers safety at CH as I witnessed one assualt by a resident against another plus twice found residents in my fathers room when he was not present as the door can not be locked. SS ignored my concerns, CH complained I am being 'aggressive and abusive' each time I challenge them. Get the impression they like to threaten relatives who stand up to them as they are quick to mention police and legal action against me. Ask a question they dont like and they refuse to answer.

In short going no where with SS or CH

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
It seems to me that in the first instance you need a private assessment of dads mental capacity.

I work in Child and Adolescent Mental Heath, not much help to you, however the penny just dropped, I do know of psychiatrists who work privately, is this any help?
If so I can PM them to you, cannot 'advertise' them here.

Cate

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob S

Mar 24, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Is the care home part of a large national company which rhymes with the surname of a sadly missed comedian who used to wear a fez by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan