I know this sounds crazy .. but has anyone tried

mariak

Sep 3, 2003
I know this sound crazy but has anyone tried spiritual healing? I work in an area where I have met and discounted many of these people.. very well known ones as charlatons.. but I have to have faith in that there is something more at the end of all this.
I just wondered if anyone had tried anything like this and had positive results. Please don't poo poo this .. I just will try anything..
Maria

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi Maria
Can you explain a little more about spiritual healing?
Do you mean someone who puts their hands on another and takes away the illness? Ive only ever seen this on TV!?
The Society has an information sheet on Complimentary and Alternative therapies, that is requested by clients quite alot, quick link here for those that may be intersted in having a look at this
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Treatments/info_complementary.htm
But as for spiritual healing, you've puzzled me.

mariak

Sep 3, 2003
I have come accross some people in my work who have been able to "ease" the distress caused by some illness'... I do not know how this works.. some believe that "absent healing" (prayer I guess) can help.
Whilst I do not think it can "cure" I do feel this type of therapy can help... even if it is just to make you feel better.

I have been so distressed because my Mum is being moved tomorrow.. she has been in a respite bed where she is very happy and we have to move her tomorrow to another Nursing Home where I have my concerns about the care.

Because she has become an emergency we have been given no choice. The home I want her to go to has no beds and by putting my Mum in a home we loose the "emergency" situation that should a vacancy occur we will not be able to take it. Hence the stress!
Angela.. you are a great help and I am sure I am not the only person who has told you this... thankyou for being there.
Maria

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Maria Thank you so much for your kind words.
I have a lot of experience from working for the society, with my local community mental health team. Personally I have an understanding of how this illness affects us as carers and family members. I simply read and reply to the best of my knowledge, with this extra understanding and extra frustration that I feel beacause I dont have a magic wand. Within my work I am powerless to make changes that I know would help the clients, but I certainly can empower the carers to ask for these changes to the people that can. Thats what I hope I am doing here.
I have some of the information carers would like to know, all I'm doing is sharing it, as we all are here.

As for the extra info you have given on spiritual healing, I think it would be very beneficial to the carer, but I wonder about the ill person? If you get more info please do let us know.

Im sorry to hear of the extra stress you are finding yourself having to cope with. If you have grave concerns about the new care home, talk about it with us, but you really have to voice these with your social worker at the very least. Even the Care Standards Inspectoarate office if need be. Im sure you will keep any extra close eye on the situation. Make sure you have your name on the waiting list for the home you do want Mum to go too, even though she will not be an "emergency admission".
Take care And thanks again

mariak

Sep 3, 2003
Hi.. Its finding the information that's so hard.... almost like learning another language.. know the system is impossible until you have been in it... hence my frustration! I am trying to learn...

Tonight we went to see my Mum.. she seems very distressed and has gone backwards from looking really good. It reminded me of an old fashioned mental home.. somebody constantly shouting in the room, no comfy chairs available for all the residents... I think all the residents are kept in one room to make it easy for the staff... her own bedroom is nice... but that's it. She looked like a little lost child ... I don't know what to do.

Tomorrow I am going to see another home.. which seems very nice... I have told our social worker this current placement is temporary and that my Mum must be considered still an emergency situation.

The problem is that nobody will give you advice.. or reccomend a home.. how can we know what is good and bad?

Thanks for listening,

Maria

I feel so bad as I know that for my Mum to have a place.. somebody must die... how sad is that.

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi Maria
We are not allowed to recomend a care home, for obvious reasons.
What I do is give information to clients on all homes, but of those that I personally would use I have prospectus books or leaflets ready to give them too!
Have you looked up your local Alzheimer's branch? In the meantime I will have a look for you too if your profile gives a location.
Im glad you have told the SW that about other suiatable homes.
I will type soon

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
No. No location. PM me if you arent able to look up your local branch, and I will do this for you.
One room you say!? My word, the better care homes for those suffering with dementia have very open corridors that lead back to a central place that has rooms off it, most convienent for those who tend to wander.
You can get a list of care homes from the Care Standards Inspectorate, this is the monitoring body of the council that all homes have to register with, this body also ensure that the homes is keeping a certain standard. Contact your local council for their number.
Whilst looking into a suitable home ask everyone you can, ask the staff at the current home, ask visitors. Phone the homes and arrange to view. Ask a staff member at that home about the suaitbility of another home.
Also check out the staff turn over, if its a local home get the paper and if they are constantly advertising for new staff, one would reckon that they are either building huge extensions or staff are moving on, and one reason may be because they are unhappy.
The fact that someone else may die or too be moving on, is a sad fact that you cant change, youve thought about it now forget it.
Good luck x

mariak

Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for advice... it seems turn over of staff has been very high at the home Mum has just gone into.. even the nurse who assessed her tonight informed us she was leaving. It seems that this company have brought many staff from abroad and are all housed in one house locally. I must add that this is costing over £500 per week! I have mentioned that I work in television (true) in the current affairs (true) as a reporter (false) but I thought this may keep them on their toes in caring fro my Mun. Nobody wants to have their home come up on "Britans worst Care Homes!" although my experiences are seriously pointing me in that direction!

Having found out about Memantine I have brought this up with my Muns consultant and although its not available on the NHS locally they have agreed to let me get it privatley... pity it was left to me through this site to locate Ebixa and then find out the info myself... sad that none of the doctors ever mentioned it to me along with Aricept in the early stages!

Learning my new lingo!!!!
Take care..
Maria
x

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Ha ha
Well then, your experience is overlapping mine. I like the lingo too!
You need to speak to the manger about Mums care ... oh and ur work!
£500 a week is alot, the average nursing home here in West Wales is £350!
You are most devoted to ur Mum Maria and I wish you the very best.
Ps Dont forget to private message me, if you want to tell me the town you live we can look into contacting your local AS Branch.

mariak

Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for your help... maybe I can just ask one more question...
I am chasing getting my Mum memantine and have been researching the reports on it... it seems that the best results come from a combination of Memantine and Aricept.. my Mum is on Olanzapine which fine relieves the aniexty but really causes confusion in her speech and impaired movement.
Any Views..
I am based near stockport and have been in touch with my local branch... sadly they meet on a teusday night and I teach at night school then.
bye for now
Maria
x
ps one of the other local homes is £650 + per week!

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Ebixa (Memantine) is not prescribed as commonlyas the inhibitors
and I too have heard that this and Aricept combined MAY make a difference. I personally dont have experiece of any of my clients recieving both the drugs, and I think in this country you may find that it is less common.
Your Mums consultant is the best person to discuss this with, and they are actually the only perosn that can prescribe.
Unfortunatley you do appear to be in the area that has a smaller branch, but do contact them again, they may be able to help other than just byattending a meeting.
Sorry I cant be of more help