in a hour my mum will be sectioned

Azure

Feb 24, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I am distraught I have never posted before but events have led up to a vist from a pschychiatrist tonight and 2 docotrs are coming a 9 to formalize the section

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
Hi there,

not sure of your circumstances? but my mum has also been sectioned tho she was in hospital at the time. mostly they only do it to administrate medication when the patient isnt capable of giving permission
Try not to worry to much i think sometimes the word sectioning can be more frighning than it really is.
is there a reason why mum is being sectioned?

Azure

Feb 24, 2010
Buckinghamshire
section

Mum has had incidents in the last few days when she has been violent towards people in shops and tried to deny them their liberty. She has always been so mild mannered and has been caring at home for my father who had a severe stroke 7 years ago he went in to a home on Monday for his own safety.
She is impossible to reason with and will not go in for assessment under her own volition. Sorry if my spellings off at the moment! I am 200 miles away, my brother is with her but she thinks we are alla gainst her and we all love her so much.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
also if you go the alz society factsheets top of page 3rd link along they might have some information there that might help

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Azure I have no experience to help you but I did want to say that I'm sorry for your situation and I wish you and your family much strength. xx

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
aww im so sorry to hear that

there are different types of sectioning my mum has been sectioned a few times for her own safety too some sections last longer than others sometimes once the situation is resolved the section will be removed try not to worry especially as your so far away.
it sounds as if your mum needs to be assessed once that is done im sure things will be ok xx

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Azure, I'm so sorry your family is in this position. My mum was sectioned and it was just like a stay in hospital with nothing untoward happening. She didn't complain, not sure she knew what was going on.

It just sound so official - being sectioned. i hope things go as smoothly as possible. Thinking of you. xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Azure, welcome to Talking Point. I am really sorry about what is happening this evening. It must feel dreadful.

I hope you will keep posting here and let us know what is happening and how things are going for you. It must be a particular strain, trying to understand the processes from a distance. However, you can be sure your mum will be safe tonight and for the near future.

Would you be able to get to visit her at the weekend, perhaps? Please try not to worry too much. At least your brother is there with your mum.

Azure

Feb 24, 2010
Buckinghamshire
section

Thank you all good to know someone is there. Husband is watching football!
Tried to talk to mum she is 'Dead' to me she says. Tried to explain the doctors were trying to get her medications and blood sugar levels right as they are very high 21/22 and she is eating all sorts and drinking lots of sherry too and not remebering what she is doing.
Mum is wanting to go and see Dad in his new nursing home tonight but my brother has been told to call the police if she tries to leave the premises. I feel awful I never wanted this to happen to her, if she wont go with the docs at nine the police will be called and she will be taken forceably. Life is ****!

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
Hi azure

is your mum diabetic ? my nan was i remember her having 'hypos' very frightning at the time untill we found out how to cope with them but nan could be very aggresive and she was the most gentle person ever completly out of character.

if your mum has that and a 'dementia' related illness topped off with drink im not suprised she's not herself

lets hope your brother can pursuade her to go without the involvement of police

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Dear Azure,
I'm so sorry you have found this forum as a result of your extreme anxiety but now you have, I hope we can help in some small ways. I'm sorry that your mum may be detained for a while but she will at least be safe and cannot get herself into more trouble while she is so unstable. Your poor dad has had a bad time too by the sound of it.

My relative was sectioned twice - he hated being "locked up" against his will but unfortunately that's the only way that the care services are able to deal with people who need protecting from themselves and others and it makes it easier to assess their long term needs. I also live 200 miles from my relative and I know how shocking it can feel to be so far away and having to rely on telephones.
Hope all looks better for your family tomorrow.
Take care,
Jancis

shirleyh

Mar 6, 2009
West Midlands
I know how you feel my mom was violent and we tried everything to get her away peacefully in the end I had to dial 999 for the Police - they even asked me if I wanted to charge her because she had hit me!! But she went peacefully with them and once the medication kicked in she calmed down.

daisypetals

Mar 29, 2011
So sorry to hear your sad news.

I may be in a very similar situation very soon.

Its just so sad but what else can one do?

xx