one day tv hire for royal wedding

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
Hi all, I hope you are all well and enjoying the nice weather.

I have a question which maybe is not the right place to post it but am hoping I can get some help.
Dad lives in sheltered accom amongst older people. They have been really supportive this past year that dad has lived there and at the weekend we said a big thank you with a birthday party for dad with all invited. They had a great night. Anyway, that was going slightly of the subject but I wanted to explain what I want to do next for them to show my appreciation of the constant kindness and understanding that they show dad :):)

Is is possible that I can rent a very large television for just the day of the Royal Wedding so they can all sit in the common room together in there. At the moment they only have a very old tv in the room which will not meet thier needs.

We are in the Watford Herts area and I have googled this but can only find weekly rentals and obviously cant do that.

A long shot I know but if you do not ask you do not get

:):):)

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Permanent TV?

It sounds as if they might benefit from a bigger and newer digital TV anyway which will have more channels on it. Talk to the manager about how equipment is replaced and whether donations could be made for a specific purpose. If it looks like a TV could be purchased without donations being syphoned into general funds then the relatives of other residents might like to contribute. Take the manager's advice on this. You might find yourself doing a bit of organising but actually it could become part of a Royal Wedding festivity, perhaps with raffle tickets being sold to pay for the TV? If the manager is planning to organise a party, find out how relatives can help to make this a fun occasion. Apologies if this sounds stupid and not relevant in your situation. Katrine :)

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
Thanks Katrine, your reply is not stupid and actually sounds very sensible. We have a scheme manager there which is as much use as a chocolate fireguard and who is more of sick than she is in. Unfortunately, the wedding is only a month away and I dont think we will raise the funds in time. Thanks so much for replying I really do appreciate it.
Have a good evening

sue
x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Maybe one of the big shops would lend one in return for a bit of publicity in the local press re their generosity!

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
Hi Peter, to be honest what little money they raise through bingo etc goes towards a day out every few months etc. I will speak to them tommorow and put that idea forward as well. In the meantime I am scouring the internet looking for freebies :):)

keep the ideas coming everyone you are being a great help

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi there

this probably wont help but in south wales we have this company;

http://www.bayv.co.uk/

i dont think it covers your area but the idea is good just wondered if they had similar companies in your area ??

good luck x

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hi

Many of the large supermarkets (especially a*da) have a big push on community support and sponsorship, and may be a good place to start.

The other idea I had was to use a projector, and laptop(bound to be online) and project it instead.

E

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
one day tv hire for royal wedding update

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions which were excellent.

When I went to dad's today, the scheme manager was there and I told her about what I had been doing trying to get the TV sorted and I asked her if there was funding availible, bearing in mind that the residents cannot really afford a new tv. She called her head office and they have said they will pay for a new tv outright and the residents can pay it back over time in one of two ways.

50p per month on thier service charge for two years
or
Fundraising and paying it of gradually with no interest charged.

The downside is that I have to get 84% of the residents to agree to it and have it sorted by Friday before the year end accounts are allocated.

I did not hear from Heart radio :( but it was worth the try :)

thanks so much everyone and I will keep you posted

Sue
x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I'm sure a local firm would like the free publicity, ok it wont be totally free as it will cost them a telly at trade price but its good to get the public on their side!
Email your local paper
I know money is tight in retail but they might lend you one for the day or someone reading the paper might be feeling generous
Good Luck
Sarah

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
If they only have an old TV at the moment, I imagine they will need a new digital aerial as well as a new set - so more expense.
Have you tried your local radio stations? BBC Essex have a helpline where you can phone in and the request for help is broadcast at regular intervals. Good luck and keep trying.

Teresa x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lolly53