walked out

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Today my husband who is(53) walked out of the house i had to rush to get my shoes on keys as i have a bad leg i couldnt run after him he was just going out of veiw at the top of the street. A neighbour had to help search for him we managed to find him at the main road. He was on the pavement but about 20yds ahead of him the pavement runs out and its just the road. He hasn't been good today at all moody since he woke up. Hope this is just a one off really bad day. Or is this another stage? Maybe i'm feeling bad that he escaped.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh Chip, how worrying for you. Is there anything that you can do to stop it happening again, such as locks that need keys to be opened?

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Chip
i really feel for you....when mum lived at her house she managed to get out and my brother had to get the help of the neighbours to find her ....she was missing for 2 hours...
Since she's moved in with us she's "escaped" many times.....not got very far but it is so worrying....Once a neighbour found her and brought her back and another time another neighbour phoned to say she'd seen her go past her house.....Most of my neighbours know her now and keep an eye out for her....but I have to say each time it's been my fault...through not locking the doors......I hated having the doors locked in the hot weather and I get more mad at myself for being careless.
oh dear at times I really hate having to keep mum locked in.......
Love xx

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Tonight he asked me what was wrong then he said its me sorry. That only lasted 5mins. His speech was bad today as well very confused I don't know if i am coming or going every day is so different. But today has been very bad. He has just calmed down again. But i'm exhausted after today.I'm not getting respite until January although the day hospital has said thats too far away. I get told that from NHS but don't get that from Social so much for the Care 21 plan that was passed by government (scottish) early this year

drummer-john

Apr 29, 2005
Leeds
Hi Chip
My partner (who's 58) does that too - and always at the end of a day when she's been moody, restless or agitated. Her speech is poor on those days as well. I guess it is another stage. I think she's safe crossing the road and always finds her way back, although sometimes she's gone for 3 or 4 hours. Trying to stop her makes her even more agitated. I've tried alarming the door, and making sure she's got an "easy" mobile phone in her pocket, but then she complains I'm imprisoning her. I have put cards in all her coats with her name, address and telephone number on. So now I just wait for her to come home and try to resist calling the police or sending out search parties of neighbours.
That's probably not much comfort, but I wanted you to know you're not on your own.
regards
John

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
My husband (56) started doing the same thing, wanting to go out at night, to work or home. He got really upset when I tried to stop him but I usually managed to persuade him not to go. I know I was lucky. I got him one of those SOS things on a chain round his neck with his name, my name and our phone number. I also put that he had dementia.

He went into hospital last Tuesday for assessment and they've decided that maybe the higher dose of Exelon has made him more anxious and agitated so they are reducing it. The psychiatrist saw him today. Apparently it could be that or he's on a downward spiral. He'll be in hospital for 4 weeks roughly. He had a nurse watching him wash and get dressed this morning and he did very badly.

Sue

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Exelon

The hospital have done the same lowered the Exelon said it might be that also. I have to keep an eye on him for two weeks and report back. He was ok today until 9 o'clock tonight. At long last i have the carers assesment tomorrow and have been told to tell the SW. The hospital also told me if he goes to the place where the SW has booked for respite i have not to go away incase he walks. I had planned on going away it was orgainised, to friends in England and they were getting the week of work. so i feel that i am even being stopped from a break.:( I phoned up Vocal they said to let them know how it goes tomorrow. If things aren't done they are going to get me a advocacy and contact SW etc.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
chip said:
The hospital also told me if he goes to the place where the SW has booked for respite i have not to go away incase he walks. I had planned on going away it was orgainised, to friends in England and they were getting the week of work. so i feel that i am even being stopped from a break.:( I phoned up Vocal they said to let them know how it goes tomorrow. If things aren't done they are going to get me a advocacy and contact SW etc.

That is awful! How can they call it respite when they expect you to be 'on call' in case he walks! The whole idea of respite is for you to have a break!