The hospital has asked ....

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Sorry you have been upset, but I think you have made the right decision about medication...if Brian is so anxious it cannot be doing him any good. The convenes work well for some men, and would have reduced 'interference' in having to change pads, but I suspect Brian would have found it strange. It sounds as though Brian is receiving good care and beginning to build a rapport with some of the staff.
Amy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
There isn't a lot I can say Nan except that this disease is so horrible! The nurses sound like so many other nurses I've come across in my time. Some are good, some not so good, some pretty incompetent (and quite happy to hide this fact).

As to the medication, no one wants this to be happening. I first started on this road whilst Ken was living with me at home. Nothing I could do or say would ease his fears, absolutely nothing. So I resorted to the medication the consultant said would help.. I didn’t have a choice and I do not think you have much choice either my love.

I have been very satisfied by the very close supervision by the CPN and have been lucky to have the same CPN and consultant stay with us both before and since Ken moved to the care home. I have recently asked for a meeting with the CPN and had Ken’s morning medication reduced. The next step will be to eliminate this. His condition is changing and he doesn’t get as anxious and agitated as he once did.

My love to you at this most distressing time for you both.

xxTinaT

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Nan,

You tell us all so well about how things are..for both of you.

I have no experience of anti-psychotic drugs, except with one of my sons..and I know they have helped him enormously.

It does sound as though the hospital are trying to do their best and are including you in their plans.

Go with the flow for now..it's not harming either of you and frankly, you sound as though you could do with a day or two off.

Thinking of you, Nan.

It all seems to be such an almighty struggle. I do hope it begins to ease up soon.

I wish that for you, too.

Lots of love xx

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
Hi nan for what it worth my dad has been in hospital a month now and I have been going in twice a day up until a couple of days ago because it has got exhausting .... I didn't feel my health could keep up with both the physical and mental side ..... You just have to watch out for your health ....dad has been on sodium valporate for over a year now for fits .. I never thought it caused to much of a calming effect .... I have been overjoyed at the nursing dad gets but they are all human some better than others .... I do feel that they will cope even if your not there ad they are professional if Brian didn't have anyone they would .... Just do what you feel is best you defiantly can't be there all those hours for an extended period
Anyhow
God bless you both I'm sure it will work out soon x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Does this warrant a complaint?

I have just begun a "Hospital Blog" in the blogs section. If any of you could spare the time to read the final entry, which is for to-day's events, I would be glad of any comments.

Am I being "tired and emotional" or did the hospital let Brian down badly to-day?

Love and thanks, Nan XXX

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
The hospital has asked

Hi Nan, sorry to hear about yesterday and hope today will be a better day for you.

I was so anti anti-psychotics, but I must admit they do help John enormously, and he has been put on the lowest dosage and is monitored closely by the CPN. I am sure though the effectiveness starts to wear off after a while. John has been on this dose for six months now. For me its all about having faith and trust in the professionals - I have to take it on board that I am not always right (I can be such a pig headed, bolshie person sometimes.

I believe you have always been able to see the 'bigger picture' and if you feel you should complain, then do so.

Love and hugs to you.

June x