What is Mum paying for?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
The district nurse is a daily visitor to my husband's care home. If ever a toe needed daily dressings by a district nurse, I would say this is one!!

xxTinaT

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
There are nurses on the staff , Tina! It's a nursing home with palliative care for goodness sake! I just do not get what the problem is. I'm sure mum says leave it but - duty of care?!?!??

matchstick

Dec 22, 2010
glasgow
Pied,that is awful,really there is no reason on this earth that should happen,that toe is infected,and looks painful.i'm thinking of you and your mum.BEST WISHES X

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
For goodness sake! Does it mean that her toe has to become so infected she will become hospitalised because the nursing staff retreat under cover of the ' patient refusing help' umberella!

Ludicrous!

I see your frustration now. What about the doctor - is he in agreement with the policy of retreating and doing nothing when nursing/medical care is needed but refused by a severely demented resident?

Where is the dementia training which uses the cajoling, persuading, and pretty strong pressure methods to get a necessary and important job completed?

xxTinaT

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Pied, do you happen to have the email address of any responsible people, CQC inspectors, MP's? I'd maybe email that picture to them if I were you.

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I have contacted CQC and sent the pic. A week ago. Nothings changed. I don't think anyone cares. Not even sure my sister cares much. Or maybe she's given up. I can understand that. It's very painful, caring! It means it hurts all the time. There are so many people on here in the same boat.
If I shout and get nasty it won't help so I don't know what to do.
I'd like a GP who cares but mum's had loads of GP s and not a one who really cares in my view.
I'm going to ring him tomorrow.
Maybe Joan bakewell cares?
I dont think mums MP is the same as mine.
Thanks everyone x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear, dear Pied,

Have just seen the picture of your mum's toe.
It is crying out for treatment.
You must feel as though you are banging your head against a brick wall.
I sincerely hope that someone tends to her foot very soon.
Sending you huge hugs,

Love, Nan XXX

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Write to your own MP about the care your mother is (not) getting. It doesn't matter that your mother is not one of his/her constituents, you are!

If the nursing home refuse to dress your mother's foot because she refuses to let them then ask a social worker to put mum under a Section 2 of the Mental Health Act. This is used when somone is a 'danger to themselves or others'. I know this is drastic but no more drastic than letting her develop septicaemia etc., etc.,

You mum is very definately in danger of herself, simply because the ones charged with her care are not doing what they are paid for but are using her refusal to not do anything!

What would happen if she was rushed to hospital and refused treatment??? Surely the same situation applies when she is in a nursing home with trained nursing staff??

xxTinaT

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Hi Pied
I've just been reading your thread. What an awful mess and what a lot of stress for you at a time when you could obviously do without it.

I'm a chiropodist and from the look of your mum's toe in the photo it looks like a classic infected ingrowing toenail. I was taught that you can't do anything until the infection has gone - it's too painful and you simply can't get at it because of all the hypergranulation tissue which is soggy and tends to bleed as soon as you look at it. It certainly needs dressing. Bathing in salt water is good too. That's a good fistful of salt in a bowl of bath hot water (or whatever temp is comfortable for mum) not just a sprinkle, and no more than 10 mins - only problem is, salt does dry out the skin. An Inodine dressing might help (so long as mum is ok to have iodine - i.e. no thyroid problems).

Once the infection has gone a chiropodist/podiatrist should be able to get a probe down the side of the nail to see if it is ingrowing. It may be a simple case of filing a bit of nail off to smooth it out so that it doesn't break the skin and allow infection in again. The worst case is where a splinter of nail pierces the skin at the side of the nail and continues to grow. It is possible to remove these, but is rather painful. So by 'surgery' they might simply mean that your mum would have to have a 'ring block' local anaesthetic to numb the toe so they can get in there and sort it out. That might even involve removing a wedge of nail and killing off a small area of the nail matrix so it doesn't grow again (not always 100% successful I have to add). This is called a 'partial avulsion' of the nail. This is not something I actually do as I'm not certified for anaesthetics. I have, however, sorted out ingrowing nails without using them. A lot would depend on your mum's compliance and her pain threshold. Is your mum diabetic?

Meanwhile, what the **ll is this home playing at? Haven't they got a chiropodist who makes regular visits? I can't believe no one had seen to her feet for 5 months :eek::eek:

Until recently I did the residents' feet in my mum's CH. Whenever a new resident came in I would be asked to add the person to my rota. If I couldn't actually treat them that day I would have a quick look just to make sure there was nothing that needed doing urgently and then arrange to go in as soon as possible (which was easy as the home is in my village). If a resident had a problem I hadn't been told about I would go and get the manager and show her and advise her to call the GP/nurse or tell her what treatment was needed (and put it in writing).

Hope you get this sorted out soon.

Chris

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Just a quick Post to say am thinking of you & your Mum & do hope that things are sorted out for your Mum very soon

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks Grove

Special thanks to you ChrisH, I have copied part of your message to the manager and the GP and hope to have a reply soon. I will ring the GP later to see what is going on.

Thanks all. I didn't sleep well last night. :eek:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Cograts Pied.

I'm so sad and angry for you and your Mum. It seems as if all those who've professional responsibility for your Mum's health and well-being are letting her down and you too. It's totally wrong.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
the home and gp are fighting about who pays for the dressings:eek:
all the while your mums toe will get worse
I too suggest contacting your MP and your local papers , providing each a copy of the photo.

sorry you shouldn't be having all this to contend with this
and I am bloomin angry for you and mum, I too wish I lived closr to you, they would see a side of me they wished they hadnt

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Pied, hi
I hope the telephone appointment happened and you got some reassurance for your worries and they are going to stop the silly business with who provides the dressings.
With kind regards to you and your mum from Jo