Hi I am a new user

maureen.mason83

Mar 20, 2011
cumbria
Hi am 58 and have recently spoken to my doctor about my family and friends and my own concerns about my memory telling him about the increasing forgetfulness and he did not seem because of my age take me seriously saying i did not fit into any of the criteria for dementia or altsziemers eventually after listing what i percieve to be my symptoms he said he would send a letter of referral to our local mental health but that it would probably take some time
I am just at a loss now as to what to do or expect
I am a widow and live alone my nearest family my daughter is 2hrs away by train though i have a good circle of friends
would appreciate any advice or comments fron those in a similar situation thank you :)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
hiya maureen...and welcome

is your doctor doing any other tests....blood tests, thyroid...there are many possible causes of memory loss? But well done for not allowing yourself to be fobbed off with the 'you dont fit the criteria'.

My mum first went to the GP at 58 after much persuasion from me...unfortunately she was happy to accept his platitude ' It happens to us all'...

Let us know how things go....and if you dont get a referral, hassle your GP!!

Amy x

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Maureen

Sorry to hear you are having memory problems, if this is bad enough for you to be worrying about it then you need a referal as Dementia has no age boundries, so you are doing the right thing.

At your appointment they might arrange a brain scan, but even if it turns out to be negative then at least it will put your mind at ease.

Hope you get sorted soon, let us know how it goes.

Regards
Alex x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Maureen, Welcome to TP

Personally i feel your gp could have arranged some blood tests to check if something simple such as Thyroid problems is causing your symptoms .
Maybe ask your gp to do some blood tests to rule these out.

Im also glad you stuck to your guns with your gp and persuaded him to refer you . They will arrange some tests

I know you must be really worried ,

you have taken the first brave step in finding out what is causing your symptoms, and I hope that in the near future you will come here saying ALL's WELL , that would make us all very happy .

((((((HUGS)))))) to you

Poetic_Lass

Mar 14, 2011
USA
www.facebook.com
Maureen,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling to find out what is causing the symptoms. After reading what you noted about the bare minimum your doctor seemed to do, it made some questions arise as with the rest that replied to you. There are conditions other than Dementia that can cause memory/cognitive problems. I'm in my mid 20's and I have Fibromyalgia and I face some cognitive issues, more so with higher levels of pain, such as forgetfulness, or kind of a spacey state.

Do you have Fibromyalgia, something that causes pain, Thyroid problems, etc? If none of those apply, I still believe the doctor should have done tests, as some things can go along with other conditions. You would not be the first person to ever have early onset in 50's, but I think they should have made more effort to evaluate you for early onset Dementias, and other things as well. Perhaps that is something to bring up?

I can't really speak of personal experience of having a type of Dementia, as I don't have it - the reason I'm here is because of my grandmother having it.

I wish you the very best of luck, dear. I believe there are some people on here that have personal experience, though. Hopefully some of those people will reply and add some good insight. Feel free to stick around; I've learned very quickly that this forum is helpful and very caring and supportive. :)

x

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Hi Maureen and welcome. I too would urge you to ask your GP for more blood tests. I have a friend in her early 50's who was in the same position as you and was very concerned about her memory and after many blood tests they finally said that her problems were due to the menopause. She has started on HRT and is feeling much better.

So back to the doctors my friend. Keep posting and let us know how you get on. XXX

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Moureen,

Forwarned is forearmed! You know you have a problem, just how big the problem is going to be we have to wait and see. If you feel you have to wait too long I would start to 'push' a little.

It is bad to have to wait so long. My niece has a little baby with suspected noonan disease which if proved to be the correct diagnosis would have a dreaful, catastrophic and life long implication for the family. They have already waited two months for genetic testing and look set to wait even longer.

If the prognisis for the disease means that immediate treatment is not of benefit, such tests as yours and our new little baby seem to get pushed down the list. In your case I would be pushing a bit morebecause there are drugs which can slow down the progression of the disease.

Whilst you are waiting my advice would be to live life to the fullest possible you can. Enjoy yourself as much as you can. See all your friends as much as you can and get together as much support as you can for you might need to call on a little support in future years.

Please let us know how you get on.

xxTinaT

maureen.mason83

Mar 20, 2011
cumbria
blood tests

I have had blood tests done just a general as my doctor had said percicious anemia could be causing my poor memory and though it did show I was borderline for Diebetes and my liver function needs to be checked every 6mths
I did ask him if there were tests for my poor memory and he said no so I am pleased to see from some of the replies that there are tests that can be done my doctor is soon to retire so maybe my new doctor will be more helpful
I suffer from non epileptic siezures (34yrs) and maybe this may have a bearing
I had a such a time logging in as i had forgotten my ID and password
it is frustrating more than anything but as all my family live away i need to know if there is something wrong so I can get my affairs in order perhaps sell my house and move nearer to my daughter though i love where i am now
would be intrested to hear if anyone else has had to take this step

maureen.mason83

Mar 20, 2011
cumbria
Margaret 79

thank you Margaret I went through an early menopause @42 so i dont thonk i could blame that though we never know its the silly things:rolleyes that i do like taking hot things from the oven with out using my oven gloves i can never find things, forgetting my train of thought when talking to people even when talking to family i am forgetting their names I even forgot my address the other week good job the taxi driver knew me as a regular surely these things put together are not normal x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Margaret,

Welcome to Talking Point. I do hope that you will find TP to be informative and supportive.

I think it would be a really good idea to make a note of everything that you can that seems 'not normal' to you. This could help those working towards a diagnosis. Perhaps you could get a notebook rather than scraps of paper which might get mislayed.

I was thinking that the stress and worry of it all may be exacerbating the problems and for this reason it might help you to have someone more available to speak to locally. Could you ring your local branch of the Alzheimers Society and ask that one of their representative comes to visit you? I am sure they will be quite used to people in your situation and they may be able to help you cope with this stage even without a diagnosis.

Love

maureen.mason83

Mar 20, 2011
cumbria
thankyou Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn for your reply and for the link it was most interesting and helpful I did go to our local altzhiemers branch yesterday and will go inand have a chat next Tuesday with one of their people it right next to The local carers where I am a volunteer and have been for 17 yrs I was carer for my husband before he died 3-1/2 yrs ago
I dont want to jump the gun and get myself into a state but many of the syptoms are what i am experiencing ans its the not knowing thats worse than the possible diagnosis still its wait and see if i dont hear anything from my doctor with in a fortnight i will get on to him but in the meantime i will keep my chin up and keep :)

Lauren

Oct 13, 2006
Dorset
Hope it gets resolved!x

I totally understand how you feel!! My mum was only 55 when she started to get symptoms and eventually took 2 years to get a diagnoses after fighting for doctors reviews and MRI's etc!
You would think that doctors would learn from their mistakes wouldnt you!
My best advice is to make an appointment with a different doctor and voice your concerns!
I do hope that it is just pure forgetfullness and that its something that you can resolve on the otherhand if it is dementia/ alzheimers then i hope you get an early diagnosis!!

Take care and make sure you get constant support from everyone about you!
Laurenx

Carer1

Jul 26, 2010
Manchester
Second opinion

Hello Maureen, welcome to TP.

I too think that you should go for a second opinion. I hope you find the support you deserve soon.

regards
xx

maureen.mason83

Mar 20, 2011
cumbria
its the not knowing

Its the not knowing that is hard to deal with my doctor retires next month and the Doctor i am goingt o be with has an interest in age related illnesses she was my late husband doctor so hopefully i will get more help from her
I have no family nearby my daughter is 2 hours away by train so it would be helpful to get an early diagnosis so i can get my affairs in order and maybe find a place near her xx

rosaliesal

Nov 15, 2009
What is normal and what is not

I attended a talk which explained that as we get older we all start to lose bits of our memory. Anyone reaching over 80 has a l in chance of getting Alzheimers. My mum was probably about 59 when the thought hit me that she had this problem. The doctor put it down to stress but I continued to watch for signs. Of course eventually she was tested and yes, she had it. However, she is now 84 and enjoys her life. Each year the change has been very very slow. It was only 6 years ago that it became too difficult i.e. unsafe for her to live alone. So do not despair. Write down anything you worry about in a book. This way you can show it to your doctor and will not forget to mention these things that are important to you. Give yourself time and space to enjoy things that give you happiness. Infact go out of your way to make your days as happy as possible. See friends, walk in the park etc. You do not need to spend money just do this and write down 4 things which you have smiled about. A little bit of happiness goes along way to curing the blues. We all worry about the future but forget to plan good things into our daily schedule. I am not trying to make light of your obvious worries but trying to help you to enjoy life now as you still have many years to do so. Fear is our enemy. Do what you can to put yourself in charge of the situation then live the best life you possibly can. Good luck and happiness to you.:)