information about benperidol

pjm

Mar 15, 2011
scotland
My 80 year old dad has vascular dementia and is in a care home. He deteriorated rapidly - less than a year between diagnosis and entering the home. His behaviour has continually worsened and in particular has recently become overtly sexual. He has been prescribed Benperidol today. We have looked this up on websites but has anyone any personal experience of this?

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Dignity

I have no personal experience of this drug, just observations about how I would feel if this was my relative. For a start I would want to be sure that the behaviour complained of IS actually 'unacceptably sexual'. On one hand there could be an over-reaction on the part of carers to innocently affectionate behaviour, but he may also be confusing other people as being his wife or girlfriend and frightening them, or may be exposing himself etc. He may also be undressing because he needs the toilet; exposure can happen in a non-sexual context.

I feel very uncomfortable about de-sexualising people with disabilities because society cannot cope with it. But equally one cannot risk other people being severely distressed or even harmed by it. And ultimately I think if it was my husband or father, or even my son, I would not want them to lose their dignity in front of other people, so I might agree to a drug therapy that removed their 'human right' to be sexual, for THEIR SAKE, more than for the sake of other people.

I do hope that things go better for you in this very upsetting personal situation. Kindest regards, Katrine x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi pjm and welcome to (TP) Talking Point.

I see you have already researched this drug on the web, and having just done the same, I can understand your concerns. It's not a drug I have come across, but as with all antipsychotics I would say you need to be sure of the doctor's reasons for prescribing the drug in the first place (I agree with Katrine's post) and to ask how its effects will be monitored.

I have searched for 'benperidol' and 'anquil' (the brand name) on TP but can't find any previous reference.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I agree with the two previous posters. I would want to know all the details of this so called 'sexual behaviour'. Then I would sit myself down and try to put the pieces of the jigsaw together to make sense!

Not all observations by nurses can lead to such easy labelling. You know your dad, his background and as posters have already pointed out, nurses do not know him and completely misunderstand the non sexual feelings such as following someone who they think is their wife/husband which is then labelled as sexual behaviour.

This has happened to my husband in the past and the label of sexually innapropriate behaviour hung around his neck. This label kept him uneccesarily on a hospital assessment ward for many months.

xxTinaT

aeon456

Account Closed
Mar 12, 2011
Wolverhampton
This is a fairly detailed document on hypersexuality in dementia produced by the Royal College of Psychiatrists:-

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/11/6/424.pdf

"Sexually disinhibited behaviours are quite common (prevalence 2–17%) in people with dementia,
occurring with about equal frequency in men and women. Assessment of the behaviours, the contexts
in which they arise and their risks is essential. It is important to manage the environment and to
educate and discuss the issues with carers and families. Behavioural measures are helpful, although
no specific behavioural intervention has been shown to be effective in this area. Several classes of
drug may help to control the behaviours, but all are potentially harmful and none is licensed for
hypersexuality in this population."

"Neuroleptics (Antipsychotics)

Neuroleptics are probably widely used in managing
sexually disinhibited behaviour in dementia, but
there is very little published evidence of their efficacy
or safety in this group
. Recent advice in the UK has
emphasised the increased risk of cerebrovascular
events in patients with dementia on olanzapine or
risperidone.
Benperidol has been used in the
treatment of paraphilias (Field, 1973; British Medical
Association & Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great
Britain, 2005)."

Reading up further on Benperidol it looks like a very strong antipsychotic drug. If he does really need to take medication for this issue, I'd try and get your father on something milder. Obviously I'm not a doctor though and I'd say a psychiatrist is the best person to advise.

As the document states though, it's important to find out the cause of the behaviour first and the extent to which it is affecting others.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R