Im no expert, but maybe...

KIM62

Apr 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Im no expert, but maybe its worth a consideration.
Heres my story..

My sister in law is 75, and has been in full time care with dementia for 3 years. Her condition is she struggles to get words out, which in turn makes her annoyed at herself. She is making the nursing home more and more of a comfort zone, and therefore it is a struggle to try and take her out in the wheelchair. However, up to november last year this was not the case. Once a week my husband and I use to take her out for a pub lunch, and this is where we noticed a change. Upon taking her out, her communication was that as I have explained. But when having our lunch we always like to have a bottle of wine (partial to rose), which of course my sister in law always like to partake in. After 2 large glasses of wine her communication improved, the stuttering and struggle to get the words out seem to subside. In fact she seem to be the opposite of a 'drunk'.

So, if any scientists are looking in and still looking at ways of helping dementia sufferers, maybe its time to look towards the 'grape':)...again.

Best wishes to you all

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
Im wondering if a wee drop of the red stuff is helping her to relax or even if just being in a different environment with people she feels safe with is helping , it could be a combination of both.

having said that, before mum got to far advanced with this illness, mum could put on a front when around other people and seem quite normal for a while.

but whatever the cause is, its lovely to see, isnt it

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I like this idea, even if the medics don't!:) Seriously though I have experienced the same as Lin, in that my Mother can turn on her leading lady persona in company. I think that Mum has got used to my doing things for her and so doesn't try as hard when there is just the two of us. Make mine a red, white or rose, cheers. Maureen:D

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
My dad too struggled with his speech before losing it almost entirely.

I found that at a rugby match he was so engrossed in the game he would shout at the referee and players with no word problems at all. His speech was also better when angry.

I suspect the more you think about any speech problem the worse it gets.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
My dad often encouraged my mother to have a glass of wine (she is not fond of alcohol, unlike the rest of her family!) - he used to say "do have a glass love it always loosens your tongue!" I agree with you Kim, definitely worthy of research.

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
my dad can speak but its like mumbo jumbo. The only words that he can pronounce with perfection are swear words. I often wonder why that is, does anyone know? The wine thing sounds as if maybe the person relaxes more and the brain gets to "think". My dad had a great love of whisky but if he tries a glass now he spits it out as if youve given him poison. He has developed a taste for Irn Bru though so hes still a true scotsman! I dont see any harm in a glass or two at lunch now and again, if it makes a difference then that can only be to the good. Dont know what the medics would say but what does that matter. Im with the wine therapy.xx

Sal the caker

Dec 14, 2010
Huddersfield
That's so true!,
Mum's words are so much clearer when she's angry! And very clear swear words, so bizarre! I wonder if your dad would like Crabbies chucky? Alcoholic ginger ale, very sweet, if he likes iron brew! It's my tipple of choice at the mo.
Worth a try?
Sally.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Actually, my mother's neighbour who had a severe stroke which left her paralysed and unable to speak (but she doesn't have dementia), weirdly, if anyone starts a sing-song in the house, she can sing along perfectly. Yet to try and speak, she can only make sort of Uuhhhh sounds. And I knew a lady years ago who had a very severe stammer - she could hardly talk clearly at all. Yet she was a beautiful singer and never stammered when singing - and in fact, singing was her career. I think that, rather than allowing the brain space to "think", what the alcohol does is relax the person enough that they stop trying to think, maybe? They stop consciously trying to speak - i.e. making such an effort, knowing that they have difficulty with words. Another old friend years ago, who had a terrible phobia about dogs, lived in a flat. To get to his flat he had to go through the landlord's garden, in which lived a guard dog which was very vicious, or use the landlord's own door, which was what he normally did, unless it was very late (because the landlord locked his own door quite early). Anyway, one night coming home blind drunk, he found the landlord's door locked, trotted around to the garden, opened the gate, walked in, patted the dog on the head and went in his ow door. He said that next morning, when he realised what he had done, he threw up - and it wasn't the hangover, it was the knowledge that he had brazenly walked past that dog!:D

tania

Sep 6, 2010
swearing

my dad can speak but its like mumbo jumbo. The only words that he can pronounce with perfection are swear words. I often wonder why that is, does anyone know? The wine thing sounds as if maybe the person relaxes more and the brain gets to "think". My dad had a great love of whisky but if he tries a glass now he spits it out as if youve given him poison. He has developed a taste for Irn Bru though so hes still a true scotsman! I dont see any harm in a glass or two at lunch now and again, if it makes a difference then that can only be to the good. Dont know what the medics would say but what does that matter. Im with the wine therapy.xx

hi there is a section of the brain that is soley for swearing would you believe as my doctor informed me

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Tania, i never knew that, are you being serious? If true, i find that amazing, did the doc tell you why?

bunnies

May 16, 2010
hi there is a section of the brain that is soley for swearing would you believe as my doctor informed me

I noticed that my aunt - who doesn't usually say a word - very occasionally will come out with a sentence if she wants someone to stop doing something to her because if gives her pain. The Speech therapist said that this isn't a sign that her language could return, since there is a part of the brain which can bring out words when it's a 'survival' issue. I wonder if this is related to the swearing part? Anyhow, it's amazing isn't it?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My maiden 86 year old, very proper Aunt( who wasn't, but you know what I mean) went into hosp. with a fractured hip. No history of AD or similar, became confused due to whatever and started to swear like a trooper. :D:D I mean SWEAR, fortunately not too loudly, but to be honest the entire nursing staff, and the Vicar too couldn't help but giggle at some of the things coming over in true Queen's English. She died shortly after, but left us smiling.:D Guess what I'm saying is that the brain is a wondrous thing that leaves us all baffled.

CarrieH

Dec 31, 2010
Isle of Wight
When my mum had her stroke pets were allowed on the stroke ward. I never took Ben, my Lab Cross on the ward, but we used to take my mum into the garden and so Ben would sit with us there. A lot of other families headed out with their relatives during visiting, so all got to know Ben.
Early on during my mum's stay we were in the garden along with a lady and her husband whose speech had been very badly affected by his stroke. He said something to his wife and she said he was asking what the dog was called. Told him and his wife asked if Ben could come and sit next to her husband's wheelchair. Ben did and clear as can be her husband held his hand out to him and said 'Hello Ben'. His wife was in floods of tears as she couldn't believe her husband had said those words clearly when the rest of the time people couldn't understand him.
The only way we could describe it was that it was as if the pressure was off. He could sit and talk to Ben for a couple of hours and Ben was just a dog who'd happily sit there and listen. Ben wasn't judging him on whether his speech was normal or not. It was amazing to see the difference in him when he was talking to Ben.
There was another elderly lady who wasn't speaking at all, apart from her one word greeting of 'hiya' and a little wave to Ben when she saw him. Not every time she saw him, but sometimes that was the greeting and she always tended to point him out to her family.

Last edited:

KIM62

Apr 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Goodness so many responses to my theory, thank you everyone. There must be something in the brain being relaxed to be a concideration.

Heres a footnote that made me smile.
After a visit to see my sister in law, I told my 10 year old (at the time) grandson, if I ever end up in a nursing home, make sure I have a bottle of whiskey or a nightly bottle of wine when you visit.
His response; I will nanna, but I could never put you in a home.
With a lump in my throat I said thank you. And his reply...I wouldn't because they cost too much:eek:

(vision of me pushing a shopping trolley round the streets, carrying cats, came to mind)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RP9