Dad Passed Away

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
My father Laurie, whom I had posted about a few times here, passed away two weeks ago. He was 87.

He was well up until December, and I think had a good quality of life up to that point. But he went downhill fairly quickly in the last month or so, with a stroke, or possibly a number of small strokes, setting him back both physically and mentally.

Although it is sad, I am relieved that he did not have a long illness, or linger on with a declining quality of life, which he would not have wanted. His Alzheimer's had advanced only slowly - he still knew who I was, and we were still able to have something of a normal conversation when I visited him in the care home. I was with him shortly before he died.

Thanks for your support here. I know some of you have a much more difficult time of it than I did.

David

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
David, please accept my condolences. It must be of some comfort to know that your dad did not suffer from a protracted deterioration, and nice that he still knew who you were at the end.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello David, I am sorry to hear your sad news about your father.

Turbo

Confuse

Feb 1, 2010
kent
My condolences go out to you at a difficult time . It was nice to know that your father didnt suffer.

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
Thanks for your comments guys.

I meant to add that I named Alzheimer's Society as the charity for anyone who wished to make a donation in lieu of flowers for my dad's funeral. I thought it was appropriate, as it is such an under funded and under researched illness.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sending my heartfelt sympathy. I'm glad you were with your dad shortly before he died. x

geum123

May 20, 2009
I am so sorry to hear that your father has passed away David. Please accept my condolences.
Geum. xxx

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
A kind release.

David, My heartfelt condolences are sent to you on the death of your dear father.
I'm also posting to thank everyone for their support over the past year. In fact my post somewhat mirrors yours. Sad times for us both.
My Mum passed away, aged 87, on 24th Feb., following a worsening in her condition. Her fall last year, when she broke her hip, escalated the Dementia and took away her quality of life. After all my worries and fears about her treatment should she need to go to hospital, they were thankfully unfounded and she died peacefully and with dignity. This was really a kind release for her and her passing leaves such a hole in our lives.
We too, have put forward The Alzheimer's society to receive donations following Mum's funeral service.
Thank you again for caring.
Jackie

Last edited:

geum123

May 20, 2009
Jackie,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
That your Mum died peacefully and with dignity will I hope bring a small measure of comfort for you.
Please accept my condolences.
Geum. xxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear David, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Even though your father is gone, there is still a place for you here on TP, so please keep posting if you wish to. Deborah

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jackie

I`m sorry to read your sad news. Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your mother. xx