Medication Dilema

Davina

Feb 9, 2008
County Durham
Hi again,

We have a meeting this Thursday with the doctor. This is primarily to discuss Mums noticeable decline over the last 6 months and to discuss the medication options available. She is currently on Exelon patches on a half dose following side effects early in the course. She has also tried the Aricept and lost a number of her motor skills during the transition.

I'm worried that if we try Ibixia then she will loose even more skills during the patch free month whilst the residual Elexon clears from her system.

Has anyone else had experience of this type of medication switch and can they offer any thoughts please??

Could she take Ebixa alongside the Exelon Patches does anyone know?

Many Thanks
Davina

Last edited:

Davina

Feb 9, 2008
County Durham
Ebixa

Hi,

Just to advise Ebixa can be used alongside other medication for Alzheimer's, but when speaking to mums doctor, he advised that mum wouldn't qualify for this drug:(

In other words we have to wait till she declines more before they will consider giving it to her.......Grrr!!

Soooo frustrating:mad:

dood

Oct 26, 2009
UK
www.deebs.me.uk
It is tricky for sure

Getting the balance right seems critically important.

Maybe discuss with GP about keeping your own daily carers diary of observations?

If so, ask the GP what you should do.

Blood pressure, pulse, diet, toilet visits, ... seem important as does social interaction and quality of life.

And while home kit for BP/Pulse might not be calibrated it does help in keeping an eye on things so obvious persistent highs or lows can be identified quite easily.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry I have no experience of Ebixa. Bill has changed from Aricept to Exelon patches and most recently to Exelon tablets. Each time he has started on the lowest dose of the new one but he has never had a med free time.

Davina

Feb 9, 2008
County Durham
Great Advise, thank you!:)

We are realy lucky in the support we have had so far and get through family.

Just wish more could be done regards to the illness:confused:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa