just one more problem

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
mum is waiting for SS assessment and app at the memory clinic.

She has had poor mobility for a few years now,and uses a stick indoors and a wheelchair outside. Her feet are very swollen despite diuretics. Yesterday she had a fall, at the GP's of all places :) was checked and said she had a sore arm but otherwise ok.
Tonight my brother (who lives with her) arrived home to find her trying to use the small table on casters that she uses for her meals to lean on to get across the room to her commode as she said her arm was too painful to use her stick. Infact, my brother says she can hardly move it.He suggested she use her stick in the other hand but she says that hand doesen't work properly.:( So now on top of her mental heath problems she is almost totaly immobile.
She has a stairlift to her upstairs bathroom, but now my brother is worried about her safty at the top of the stairs. Also how is she going to get out of bed with one useless arm.

Just don't know where we go from here

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello, I'm afraid I'd be recommending a trip to A&E in the morning, in case there is a fracture or even a bad sprain. Even using a trolly ( and that showed inititive ) is not really a safe choice. Good luck Maureen.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
If mums arm is still the same tomorrow id advice the same as Maureen as it may need to be xrayed

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
thanks for the replies. I don't think there is a fracture. As the nurse at the GP's gave her a full examination and she had full mobility in it yesterday. It just seems to have stiffened over night.

Obviously if there's no improvement then it will be a trip to A&E

It was just the fact that her mobility is diminishing almost as fast as her mental capacity and we seem to have one problem after another. I know others are in worse situations, just having a down day . My brother has to work, but at the moment she needs 24 hr care :(

DonnaHewitt

Account Closed
Aug 25, 2010
I hope that mums arm is feeling a bit better and causing less problems. It might be worth looking into a mobility aid, perhaps an indoor rollator with a tray so that she can get around and still carry things without the fear of falling. Moderator's Note: Link removed in line with Talking Point's Terms and Conditions

Last edited by a moderator: