So angry and stressed and impatient

invisibility

Sep 29, 2010
I don't know what to do - my dad is obsessed with the bloody tax return at the moment (and also has no idea how to understand time and date anymore, well time is ok, but date is out the window - he keeps talking about 'these new fangled ways of doing the date').

He doesn't understand when we explain to him that the tax return isn't due for at least two months and that he doesn't have to wrory about it. Sometimes he says its a relief to hear that, and other times he just carries on looking at out of date files filled with all his old tax returns which he then finds a letter from 4 years ago from hsi accountant asking for something and he starts saying eh needs to do this etc.

I am going insane. today my mum is away visiting her mother (who also has Alz) so i am home 'daddy wrangling' as i put it. This morning he was ok, but in a bit of a flap as he always is when mum is away. he hangs on her shoulder at all times and is like a shadow. Her being a very independent person cannot stand his clinginess. s he moans about how hopeelss he is all the time and i can't bear it. I've told her many times how i don't want to hear how useless my dad is (which has gone on for years before diagnosis) and that its MY dad she's talking about. I hate seeing their weird relationsihp. she thinks she communicates with him, but its like they're not even in a relationship. they are just two people who are living together. they've been together for 35 years now. they got married fast (too fast). very good example of a reason not to rush inton something with someone you don't know that well! she complains the whole tiem about all the things which are HIM - things he's always been ever since she met him and they now all upset and annoy her.

She said she doesn't know how she is going to cope as she can't be patient all the time. Both of us lose our patience with him because of the endless same stuff OVER and over and over all day every day. I really don't know how not to lose my cool. I have lost my temper before and got very upset when last year he was doing his DVLA form to let them know about his condition which subsequently lost him his license. (which went on for weeks over and over) and when i did flip out and get upset, it somehow snapped him out ofi t - which makes one think that he just needs a big verbal slap as it were and he'll be ok and get off the rut. Its just so hard and i feel so awful as i know it is not fair to get impatient with someone who does not know why someone is being impatient with them.
I heard a great example which was you wouldn't shout at a man with a broken leg for not running to you when you called, so why would you get annoyed with someone who's brain was deteriorating.

My mum was told to get power of attorney in place 6 months ago when he was diagnosed and she still hasn't done anything about it. I think it may now be too late to do anything as my dad wouldn't understand what was being asked of him if they did the interviews that were needed for it. It would be great if we could somehow make it that my mum does the tax returns but my dad won't give it over i don't think.

I'm jsut having a rant really. my mumwanted me and my sister to go to the SPECAL workshops but i don't really see how they are going to help that much.

I think i need to go for a run or i'll explode.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hope you feel better for your rant .
I heard a great example which was you wouldn't shout at a man with a broken leg for not running to you when you called, so why would you get annoyed with someone who's brain was deteriorating.

I used to try to imagine how I would feel if it was me .

However difficult it is for you and your mum it is even more difficult for your dad. Rant here by all meeans but you know your dad can`t help it.

Have you seen this Thread?

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=30801

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
I'm angry and irritable today too invisibility and I know about compassionate whatsit (and can even do it most of the time) but today, for some reason, it's harder than usual. Sorry - I'm sure that's no help at all.

Teresa x

Purrdy

Feb 1, 2011
Kent
Rant on ....

If ranting helps then keep it up but the bottom line is your dad needs help and your mum needs help too. I live next door to my mum who has alzheimers and believe me being on call 24/7 is not easy. Before my dad passed away 14yrs ago mum was the same as your mum, always putting my dad down and I said exactly the same to her "I don't want to hear 'that' about my dad, he is MY dad", now he has gone and even more so now that she has alzheimers she wishes she had been kinder to him. TOO late, he's gone!! I have a short fuse a times and I have found for whatever reason it does seem to jilt her back to being nice but it doesn't last.
One thing I have learnt over the last few months is don't bother to try and understand any of their actions or what they say because it will drive you mad. There is no reasoning to this illness.
Sorry I can't be of any help but try and not get stressed for your own health sake.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mum was told to get power of attorney in place 6 months ago when he was diagnosed and she still hasn't done anything about it. I think it may now be too late to do anything as my dad wouldn't understand what was being asked of him if they did the interviews that were needed for it.

I advise you to push your mother about the power of attorney. It might not be too late and it will make other things so much easier later on.

As for the tax returns, as long as you 'mail' anything your dad does, that might do the trick. Plus of course your mother (or someone else) would have to get the tax returns done in reality but I don't think reasoning helps when someone has a fixed idea about something.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Invisibility...... that's such a good name for both the disease and the carers. Anyway, you are having a rough time of it just now. I know it's hard but you are going to have to really start letting "things" go, that is things which you cannot change or stop. We all get frustrated and want to scream the Blo..y answers to the same questions asked over and over again, but all that does is raise our blood pressure and distress the sufferer. I have started removing all legal and formal papers of Mum's from sight and a lot of them from the house, so that we don't have to go through them time and again. Have a look at the LPA forms on the OPG website, they do not have to be filled in by a solicitor and if you have good family friends who can act as witnesses, then so much the better. Your Dad ( and indeed your Mum too since none of us know when these forms might be needed) only has to understand what he is signing at that time, If he does not remember later that cannot be questionned. The witnesses are there to say that the explanation was given and the signee understood what they were signing. This was a longer post than intended.. sorry about that.:)

invisibility

Sep 29, 2010
Heya guys,

Thanks for listening - yes i know its unkind to get impatient sometimes, and believe me most of the time i just keep a lid on it. But I'm human - and so is my mum (although my mum has a martyr personality and everything is poor me, so she' snot very good about seeing how its actually poor dad...).

ANYway... yeah i will push mum about doing the power of attorney etc, it took me pushing for 2years nearly to get her to take my dad to the docs (my dad wouldn't have let me go with him). She doesn't really want to take responsibility - and its understandable i guess. But if seh went into his office and cleared out all his stuff, he'd just want to know where it was. He's not so bad yet that he won't remember things like that being done. He's still quite lucid some of thetime, but the last few days he's been terrible.

I think my mum would like it if everything were done for her (she often says how unfair it is becuase this si the time in her life when she should be looked after) - and the thing is, she's financially comfortalbe and she's never wanted for anything, so she's lucky. but all she can think of is poor her, she should be being looked after now. Its like, erm excuse me... my DAD needs the looking after!! She loves caring for her animals (always has, although 'caring' just means overfeeding sometimes and just talking to them like they are babies n stuff) - but she finds it hard to care for her husband. Something i find very difficult to see or understand.

Yeah, i know there is no point in reasoning or trying to understand what he's doing. My mum says all the time to him 'i don't understand why you're doing x' or to me 'i don't understand why he's done... '- and i said you DOOO UNDERSTAND!! You know why he's doing it becuase he's got a brain disease!! AAAARGH!! sometimes i just want to shout at her and say for chrissakes get a grip. she's got heaps of family around to help and heaps of friends... she just doesn't know how to ask for help or how to take responsibility for what is happening. I thinks he hopes it will all just somehow go away.

massolina

Jan 18, 2011
manchester england
Snap

Hi there . I'm new to this forum and when i read your post i just could not believe how similar things are with me. Daddy has dementia not fully diagnosed but the opinions are that its Alzheimers. My step mum is a love but she doesn't seem to realise that this is a progressive disease and just how bad it can get. She admits that she is not the most sympathetic person when dealing with illness and seems unable to grasp that she needs to handle dad with the patience that she would afford her grandkids. But she is confrontational with him and as he is in denial to a degree it can cause the most terrible fights. To make matters worse she had a stroke in November( not massive than God)but since then she has had trouble getting her words right so the stress of coping with daddy can throw her recovery back shedloads and at times she just has to spend a few days at her sisters leaving dad alone.Me having him isn't practical i work full time don't drive and he isn't fabulous with stairs etc.The very idea of "Care" so that she can have a break or even go on holiday makes me so angry. To crown it all he is a retired academic who dismisses the Drs advice, which drives me insane never knowing whether he will take the drugs they proscribe. Sorry for going on but boy do i know how you feel xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Invisible, why don't you suggest to your mother that you can handle the power of attorney for her? It takes it out of her hands, you can take on the responsibility for her and take care of things for her. Since you say she doesn't want to do any of that, it might make it easier to get it done. Plus, I would recommend that you get a power of attorney for her at the same time. You could explain it as it would be easier for your father to agree to getting the POA done, when in reality it would be a 'just in case' measure for you.

invisibility

Sep 29, 2010
massolina - that sounds so awful, what a difficult situation for you. :( I hope that your situation gets easier (if that is possible). thankfully my dad does take doc's advice, but he has trouble remembering if hes taken pills or not.

canadian joanne... that is a really good idea. although i'm not sure how useful id' be (i'm about to move a very long way away from them - 4hrs away) as currently i'm in the house with them, and i don't know if my being power of attourney would help from a long distnace. sorry, i'm so clueless when it comes to that stuff! Plus... accounts etc are something i struggle with myself. The stress of theirs too, not sure if i could cope, BUT i will talk to my sisters - my younger sister is EXCELLENT at organising... this could be a brilliant sideways plan thank you!!

Redwitch

Mar 24, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
sadness

Hey folks,

I think it must be the weather or something, today I feel sad, like someone has blown out the candle in my heart...:(:(:(

Mum is annoying the hell out of me:confused::confused, but not because of anything more than I would like to talk to her about how I feel:( I can't though coz all I ever hear is that "i've never heard of anything like that before". My best friend has gone away, and other friends have turned away as they cannot cope with my sadness because they don't understand what it is like to live with this horrible illness that causes us to loose our loved ones many over. Tears have flowed like a river today and the dam feels like it is about to burst:eek::eek::eek:.

Deep breath as there is another day tomorrow ;) same old, same old but but another day never the less:p