A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
glad that most of your visit was good shame about the sundowning
of course his a lovely man he has a lovely lady as his wife
love larivy

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
I decided to go to the doctor`s a bit earlier.

I was talking to a volunteer while waiting in the surgery for my appointment. It turned out she was a volunteer while Dhiren was in the assessment unit and remembered him. She told me she often sat with him in the garden and he talked to her. I wish I`d known then. It would have made it so much easier for me to know someone kindly had spent time with him.
She said he was a lovely man. He was and he is.

Sylvia, hi
What an amazing life this is, kindness given without expectation of thanks or appreciation by a volunteer can have such emotional responses depending when or if it's brought to light. I am so glad that this happenstance has brought you knowledge of Dhiren's friend and admirer. Better now than never.
Take good care of yourself, with kind regards from Jo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This volunteer had had a husband and mother at the same assessment unit at different times. She had such a high opinion of the unit she volunteered after her husband died.

Some of the patients in the unit were intimidating and even though all staff seemed lovely, it was difficult to feel the atmosphere as anything other than daunting. Dhiren was terrified half the time and we were devastated for him.

I think the professionals perhaps take too much for granted, assuming relatives know and understand what is happening, when the reality is a bit of an introduction to the units might help ease doubts and fears.

mulhuis

Mar 27, 2009
Kent
From the 7th of February the local services have been re-organised and the community manager will take over inpatients as well. This means the current modern matron moves to a new post else where in the Trust. I think this will be an excellent opportunity to address the comments in your last post which are very valid. I shall make it my task to speak to Madelaine about better informing people about the unit and the illness in general. Thanks for raising this and yes I agree sometimes we old pros take things for granted and need a gentle reminder that not all folks are as well informed. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren has another chest infection.
He was fine yesterday but the carers heard his chest `rattling` when they moved him last night. The GP was called out this morning and he is on another course of ABs.
He isn`t too bad but his confusion is increased.
The deputy manager came to tell me and then one of the owners came down to reassure me.

I offered the deputy manager a copy of Compassionate Communication, saying it might help in the traiining of new staff. She accepted it gratefully .

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia,

I am very impressed that the home take immediate action rather than 'waiting to see how things develop'!!! Speedy action can make all the difference with regard to infection and I just hope that it clears up quickly.

I have sent that Compassionate Communication to a care home owner who was interested as they are very hot on training. He does a lot of training himself. When I next see him I will ask what he thought.

Love

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Sylvia

So to hear that Dhiren is poorly. Sounds as though the CH have been very proactive which is good to read.

Hope the ABs kick in soon and Dhiren is feeling much better soon.

Love Carina x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Carina.
He wasn`t uncomfortable, just quite tired and very confused.
A friend sent a text and told me to give his hand a special squeeze for her. When I told him, he smiled and said `Ah!. She`s got a good heart.`

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sylvia,
... Your Dhiren did not deserve the illness he has been given but he and you have been fortunate in the care he recives at the CH. You give him love and support and you give us all the same..one good deed etc. I am a great believer in kharma.Thank you and I really hope that the ABs kick in quickly. Maureen.x.

LuLu1969

Jan 28, 2011
Cheshire
Hey Sylvia, I have only signed up this evening, but have been browsing for a while now and I have been touched by yours and Dhiren's story. You come across as incredibly strong, and I wish you both the best for whatever the future holds for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.