SKYE 10

Jan 14, 2011
wales
Hi,im brand new to this so please bear with me.My mum has recently been diagnosed with alzeimers.She has been tried on aricept 3 times and has been sick every time.We are worried sick and dont know what other medication may be offered.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What a puzzling thread this is - resurrected from so long ago and bringing back so many thoughts of Connie who is suffering so much at the moment.

Back to the last poster - I'm sure you will get support here as there are lots of TP'ers taking care of parents who have similar problems.

xxTinaT

Gwennie

Aug 15, 2010
Cambridge
Hi allylee
Guilt and frustration plagues me often and I am sure many other members as well but it's a natural feeling for the situation that you are in. I too care for my mum and so often I am either guilty for not doing enough or frustrated with myself for having to care for mum and then guilty for feeling frustrated. But slowly I am realising these feelings are completely normal given the circumstances we are facing. Keep your chin up and keep in touch with TP it truly helps!

Gwennie

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi SKYE 10,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP).

I have moved your post from an old thread dating from 2005 into a thread of it's own.

You might want to look at the factsheet on medications for Alzheimer's:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=147

There are other medications for Alzheimer's besides Aricept, so perhaps the medics will try her on one of those. One, Exelon, is also available as a patch which can be more suitable for people who have digestive side effects with oral medication.

Take care,