What to do after death....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was told by a financial advisor from SS a pre paid funeral would not be considered deprivation of assets.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I would not Sylvia.
I have said it before,the best thing we ever did to take out two funeral plans.
Still have mine of course!!!! But how the costs have risen on todays prices.
Norman

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
what happens to an EPA if someone dies

What happens to an EPA if someone dies?

If the Donor dies the EPA automatically comes to an end. The Attorney should send the original EPA and the death certificate to the OPG as soon as possible.

I was not aware of this when my wife died
I do not now have the original death certificate and I know that I will have to pay £25 for acopy
Bearing in mind that it cost £150 to register in the first instance I am reluctant to spend more money on something that is now worthless
Have you any idea what (if any) is the penalty for not returning
the document ??????
jimbo111

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Peter's name has been removed from the mortgage but I have the title deeds to the house and how do I go about removing his name?

Thanks on advance for any help.

Christine

Whilst reading this most interesting thread , it dawned on me that I was possibly in the same situation IE,
Following the death of my wife and gaining probate I knew that the solicitor had informed the building society that stores our deeds but I was not sure if she had adviced the land registry
Being on my own,I do not want any legal problems if I decide to move
I contacted the registry office by email and I was told that I could fill in a form DP1(this was attached to the email)
Or, as the form was not mandatory, if I wished I could just write to them with details of my wifes name , and a copy of her death certificate requesting that her name be deleted from the register
I would not have thought of this until I read the experiences of some members I think it proves the value to memberes of having a 'Sticky'
( where did they get that horrible word) as suggested by CRAIG
when he started this thread
jimbo111

Roma

Jan 15, 2008
UK
Regarding EPA

Following on from Jimbo111, my mother died last January and it didn't even cross my mind to cancel the EPA with the OPG. Thing is I've sorted out all of her estate as I was executor and I've shredded receipts etc. that I kept as I was her attorney.

Is it possible if I contact them now that they will ask for records etc., over the time of EPA??

Roma

stu291155

Jan 22, 2011
chessington
forum

i wish i had found this forum sooner, my father passed away on the 4th jan and have never had to deal with making arrangements for a funeral,but somehow with the support of my wife we have nearly managed to get there as the funeral is on monday 24th,The royal surrey where my father passed away were very helpful and so was the register and the undertakers we are using.We have hopefully managed to sort out most aspects of his estate,but there is some very good advice on this forum which would have really helped us.We all have monday to get through yet,which is going to be very hard but we have had great support from my Dads local village vicar and she is doing the service on monday which i am sure will help as she knew him well

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Stu, welcome to Talking Point (TP) and I'm sorry to hear of your father's death.

Arranging funerals is never easy, even when you've done it before. I hope that the funeral goes as well as can be expected and hope you will let us know how it goes.

Take care xx

drmullins

Jan 24, 2011
epsom
Any advice very welcome.

Hi my mother passed away today after long illness/and suffered from alzheimers.

My 2 brothers and i are executors in her will. My question revolves around probate and asset recovery. My mother showed my brother a statement last year for £40,000 approximately. We are aware of other sums from her current accounts but have not been able to locate this sum...

whilst we are in no rush to settle this matter and wish to celebrate her life as notrmal, we do not necessarily wish to pay a solicitor exorbitant fees if we can find this info out ourselves. appreciate the excellent threads above.

in your contributors experience would probate be a reasonably simple matter even where all assets are not known?

mnay thanks for any replies/advice.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool

My 2 brothers and i are executors in her will. My question revolves around probate and asset recovery. My mother showed my brother a statement last year for £40,000 approximately. We are aware of other sums from her current accounts but have not been able to locate this sum...
./QUOTE]

I'm sorry for your loss.

Do you know with which bank or financial institution the 40k was? If you know this then I would contact them with a certified copy of the death certificate, although it might be easier after you have obtained probate.

I hope this is of some help.

Jane Cooper

Jan 25, 2011
Benfleet Essex
The Void

That's great Craig.
No one told me about the void after your loved one pases away.
Great place- not
It takes time as my old dad once said to regain one's balance
How true
Janie

do
Hi All,

I'm starting a thread here to help with the practical issues of dealing with a loss/death. I was completely losts when mum died, not just emotionally but practically.

I'm going to start off by adding a few useful documents and books that I have used to get through all the practical issues. I'm not going to go into too much detail, just point to some really useful resources. I'll add to this over the next couple of days.

It has also been my first probate to deal with and I have learnt a lot a long the way. Please add any useful resources that you know of, and as time goes on I will try to summarise it all in another closed thread and perhaps make it a sticky.

Kind Regards
Craig

Jane Cooper

Jan 25, 2011
Benfleet Essex
Insights

I guess the less costly approach has to be seeking a solicitor at citizens advise in your local area. I would start there.
Janiex

whilst we are in no rush to settle this matter and wish to celebrate her life as notrmal, we do not necessarily wish to pay a solicitor exorbitant fees if we can find this info out ourselves. appreciate the excellent threads above.

in your contributors experience would probate be a reasonably simple matter even where all assets are not known?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london

I would say yes get probate without a solicitor, saving money .

When my son died young at the age of 28 and not leaving a will and left a property. I did it all without a solicitor.

I just applied for probate. Proved that I was next of kin and it even was more complicated with me because there was an unborn baby so the unborn baby becomes the next of kin.

Probate man said unborn mother baby and I could go on the certificate of probate, as long as we was not in disagreement.
probate took about 6 weeks before we could get the certificate .

Paper work they sent me was not hard to fill in. Just asking how much the property was worth, because the more its worth the more one pays for probate.

With the certificate we had the power to deal with my son estate including bank account .

The only compilation that can arise without knowing about a bank account i assume would be how much the total estate amount to , but am sure probate man would advice you in what happen in those circumstances I found them very help full on there “ help line “

Last edited:

WandaV

Apr 4, 2011

My father died 20th Jan and I have thrown myself into preparing probate and Inheritance Tax forms to help cope with the sense of loss I am feeling. The challenge hasn't been as great as I first anticipated and I feel a huge sense of achievement and know my Dad would be proud that I didn't throw money away on solicitors fees! I would recommend giving these forms a go, as they are far less daunting than you'd probably imagine.
However, I have a rocky road ahead, as my Dad had a partner he had lived with for a number of years. He had made a small 10% provision for her in his will and split the remainder of his estate between myself and my sister. We both would like to make a more generous allowance for my Dad's partner in recognition of the care she gave him towards the end of his life. Our dilemma is that, by providing my dad's partner with a larger portion of the estate, we would not wish her children to ultimately inherit from my father which could be the case if my dad's partner were to pass away in the foreseeable future. It is hard for us to determine a way of achieving our good intentions. Additionally, we are wondering if she were to contest my Dad's will, would she legally be entitled to a greater percentage of his estate?- she moved in after the house had been paid for and outrightly owned by my Dad and she was never financially dependant upon him and still remains in full-time employment.The law is such a grey area and we could do without the anxieties that lay ahead. Any ideas as to where we stand?
This is a fantastic forum and one which I shall now visit frequently.

Ladywriter1968

Oct 2, 2009
London UK
also what about these

What to do after a death in England & Wales
Ref: D49 April 2006

This is a book/leaflet you can get from any CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau). It has loads of useful information including details on the things you must do.

For example - in the first five days you must:

• Notify the family doctor
  • Register the death at the register office
  • Contact a funer director
  • Advise the DWP
  • Complete form BD8 - this stops any benefits

Here is a link to a PDF version for the computer savey.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/dwp/2006/d49_april06.pdf

Moderator note: this page link is now broken. A chase-through leads to
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/WhatToDoAfterADeath/index.htm

Hope this helps
Craig

It is very useful and has a lot of information on benefit that the bereaved may claim.
Also what about contact the insurance company they were insured with as well.

Ladywriter1968

Oct 2, 2009
London UK
Its hard when everything happens at once

Its very hard for anyone when some one dies and they never arranged a funeral before. As not only is it very costly if they were not insured but the person has to go keep their grief inside them and basically arrange everything. Especially if they have no one to help or a rotten family like mine are.

Plus on top when my Mother died years ago and years later my aunt and friends father. I noticed that you need a car to get to all the places, and if you don't have one or cant drive, can you imagine how much they would charge for a cab. Its also harder if you live further away as well. Then you would find yourself relying on public transport to get to the places to arrange the funeral which is added stress.

When my friends Dad died, myself and husband went to the funeral and it was in the middle of no where, god knows how you would get there without a car. But that's the area they use for cremation services which is stupid as she lived a few miles away from the area. My husband had to look at the A to Z and it was miles away.

Lets be honest here, not everyone drives, or can afford to even own a car, let alone run one. Not all family give a damn as to help with lifts. I know mine wont when my Dads time comes and they would just tell me to get public transport then, cause that's how cold they are. But fortunately we have a car but as things keep going up all the time, I wonder if we will have that in the future. Its not a new car either so its not like we can exchange for another. And we certainly could not afford another car. We got this one from Husbands nephew. After his nephew had knocked it about a bit. I live quite far away from my Dad as well. Being in crowded trains and then having to get buses when your parent has just died. I am sure a lot of people have had to do this you know. We dont all have money for cabs either. But we dont get to hear about people who had to do this either.

My Dad is currently in a rehab unit but his dementia is getting worse now. He said he has had enough. hardly any family bother to visit him, they simply dont care. But you know what, their time will come and I wont bother to visit them either, see how they flaming like it.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Also what about contact the insurance company they were insured with as well.
Their is no need to rush to contact them , I notified mum's life insurance
After I had been granted probate .

But u do need to inform certain people as quoted by Craig within five days of death .

I initially contacted all gov departments by phone , I actually found them helpful and understanding

The only places I had to actually go to, were
The register of births and deaths
The probate office , to be granted probate and have my identity checked ,
Mums bank , this was to do identity check and set up an executors account
And of course the funeral director to make arrangements , but many do home visits now.

Everyone else I used the template letters I had found online or a book i and dealt with everyon by post

Untill mum died I had never dealt with anything like this , and have no qualms of doing so again , tho dads will be more complicated.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
This is not really anything to do with what you should do after someone has died.

Just a bit of info, about if someone has died and they hold Premium bonds, you do have to notify them,but the persons premium bonds can stay in the draw and hopefully win, for up to a year after the person
has died

TheBigYin

Oct 13, 2009
Middlesbrough, Cleveland
Money problems when you are bereft..

Hi All,

I'm starting a thread here to help with the practical issues of dealing with a loss/death. I was completely losts when mum died, not just emotionally but practically.

I'm going to start off by adding a few useful documents and books that I have used to get through all the practical issues. I'm not going to go into too much detail, just point to some really useful resources. I'll add to this over the next couple of days.

It has also been my first probate to deal with and I have learnt a lot a long the way. Please add any useful resources that you know of, and as time goes on I will try to summarise it all in another closed thread and perhaps make it a sticky.

Kind Regards
Craig

Thank you Craig for starting this post.

When my Beryl was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2007 I knew at the back of my mind that it would culminate in her death, but I did not know when. I knew we did not have any insurance policies or monies put by for funeral costs etc but thought it was too late to do anything about it.

On the 16th of February this year the ultimate happened and my lovely wife died, not with Alzheimer's, I might add, but a urinary infection. It was then my life went into freefall.

One of my main concerns was giving Beryl a good send off, sure I had money in the bank and combined with credit cards I could do it! Then reality kicked in.

From the very beginning it bothered me that my wife's demise involved thinking about money but thinking about money I had to do from the very outset, in fact I surpassed myself and the very next day after her death I 'matter of factly' contacted the DWP and told them of Beryl's passing...and they showed no mercy!

Immediatly all monies were stopped and nothing was going into my bank account but I did not care as I had a funeral to attend to.

My Beryl, if she were alive, had a funeral that she would be proud of and I'm sure she would have approved.

The funeral was in February the 24th and after the mourners had gone I was left on my own and bereft.

When you are a couple the world, although not rosy, is your oister but when one of you becomes single again the world becomes unbearable without them.

Anyway, after many a phone call and a form to fill in I got the £2000 talked about above, which was not enough to cover the cost of the funeral but I got the remainder from another source leaving me nothing to pay for the funeral, a great weight off my mind.

To any person, in any situation, money worries are a burden that can be unbearable, especially when those worries come after you are bereft.

Smile, grit your teath, you will get through it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan