Nasty smell - not be read while eating.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
When I went to see Mum she was not in her room but the smell was. It nearly knocked me over as I opened the door. It seems she is weeing on the floor and its not being treated. She has to use a hoist so she must be going before she gets to the comode. She sits in her room most of the time and won't let the staff use sprays on the carpet. It is now so bad I have told them to sort it out with a carpet shampoo machine as I am not sitting in that room. They came in and put down some interim spray which was slightly better and I opened the window wide.

Mum came back to her room and moaned about the smell and the wide open window. She says the staff are not to open her windows and the smell is not due to her as she never goes to the toilet, ever. Apparently people keep coming in her room to wee on the floor. :eek:

I suppose I should be thankful it is only wee. :(:eek:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Oh dear.

The carpet in my mum's room is sticky and has been since before she moved in. I think it may be the same thing from the previous resident. You have my sympathy.

I'm just hoping Mum never falls out of bed and lands on the sticky patch.

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Oh dear, Lemony, not so nice.:(

I've little experience of CHs, and really shouldn't criticise, but I just can't understand why carpet shampooing/ steralisation is not carried out on a regular basis! If there's smell, there's obviously bacteria, but It's easy to eliminate both from carpets if regularly cleaned when required.
There are so many non-chemical cleaners, steamers etc available these days, I just can't see the problem, but as I say, I'm no expert.
As you suggest, it could have been worse!:eek:

Love, Necion. x

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
It seems to me that your mum's wishes (not to have the carpet treated) have overidden common sense and hygiene here.
Surely they have a duty to keep the carpet and room clean? And could manage to do this in your mum's absence so as not to upset her?

Last edited:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
She only wants to leave her room at lunchtime when the carers are helping serve lunch. The cleaners work until about 2 and her room is often missed as she won't let them in. She shouts for them to get out as she is going to do it herself.

If it were me I would get someone to take her on a long walk while they do the shampooing but I suppose its trying to coordinate staff to do that.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
You're lucky in a way she is in a home where they want to clean it. I wish my mum's home wanted to clean her carpet. It's another of the things I need to talk to them about. :(

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I asuppose I should thank my lucky stars Ken is in a Local Authority run home where the manager can order steam cleaning whenever he feels it is needed although I have to say that the many privately run homes I visit are also clean and carpets regularly steam cleaned.

Before my husband could move into this home, the manager told us he was arranging for the old carpeting to be taken up and new carpeting laid in the bedroom allocated to Ken. This was done before he moved in and I find the room to be a pleasant place where I can have some privacy in a reasonably comfortable environment.

Every room downstairs is steam cleaned about once a month but still there are smells. I never sit down anywhere without testing the upholstery as more often than not it is wet, despite regular toileting and pads being extensively used in the home.

I worry that in the present climate of extreme 'person centred' care, the resident's wishes are taken too much to the letter. It is neither hyginic or comfortable to allow your mother's room to get into such a state, no matter what her wishes. I would be telling the manager that regardless of what mother says, the room has to be steam cleaned and if necessary, a new carpet laid. If the home is part of a chain of homes, I would speak to the manager first and if nothing was done or excuses continued, then I would ask for the area manager's address and write to them.

I feel so much for both staff and relatives when common sense as in your mother's case seems to go out of the window with management in regard to basic hygine! Perhaps the home are using your mother's refusal to allow cleaning as an excuse.

If you inform them that you wish her refusal to have her room cleaned must be overrruled for hygine reasons, they will not be able to contine to ignore this problem and use your mother's refusal as an excuse.

xxTinaT

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I know they cleaned right through, everything off shelves in late November. They even had the curtains down and washed those as well. It was ok a week ago so it must have got worse in the last week. I will pop in tomorrow to see if I can grab a cleaner and ask her if I can clean the carpet. Hopefully that should push them to clean it.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Oh heavens. What a visit! I popped into Mum's on the way home from an appointment. They had moved her to the dining room to have her breakfast while they sorted out the carpet. When I went in she was very angry as she hadn't had breakfast (she had) and then said it was only cerial so the hotel was rubbish and she wanted to check out. This carried on along with shouting at the TV in the corner which was on down low for the resident watching it. She was obcessed that they had to buy something all the time. She was really nasty to me and the staff and told me to leave. She was going on and on about the nasty lady wasn't to sit next to her as she was so posh she went to a proper hotel, not this dump. She went on and on at me telling lies until a member of staff told her that this woman did have every meal with her. She then started yelling at the staff.

I know some of it is her and not all the illness and it makes it hard to be treated like you are 7.

You try to do the right thing and still manage to get in the firing line. :(

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Lemony, do remember that it's mostly illness. I had a wonderful relationship with my mother pre-Alzheimer's and then we went through some very challenging years. I more than once left the home much earlier than planned, simply because my mother was swearing at me, trying to hit me and being generally horrible to everyone. I once left 5 minutes after arriving, she was so nasty.

So I do understand how you're feeling but there isn't much we can do about it. Hang in there.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I'm afraid I went through a lot of challenging years and then Mum got Vas Dementia which is probably explains a lot. Who wants to go and visit someone they had a rocky relationship with to start with?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Sorry you had such a tough reception from your mum, but thank goodness they're addressing the carpet problem.

Thanks Sleepless. I was really pleased to see how on top of it they were. I could see the main reception and corridor carpets had been given a light clean when I went in. Mum's room was upside down with the man who was cleaning really going over it. He turned to me as I looked inside and said who smelly it was. He went over it at least 3 times, opened the window and door etc. I am hoping that they will keep on top of it now.

I left before Mum saw what they had done. She was cross that she wasn't there supervising their work.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Lemony,

My Mum went through these aggressive phases with her vas dementia.

Strangely, she is lovely now. Told me twice this week how much she loves me.

Hang in there. This aggression may well pass for your Mum, too. I hope so.

I'm glad they're addressing the smell problem now.

Hugs,

Maggie

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Better a miserable visit today, if it means a less smelly visit tomorrow.. well at least if she's cross next time you won't have to hold your nose. I am sorry though Love Maureen.x.

Rachel T

Dec 9, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hay Lemony, Your post could have been writen by me a few weeks ago, infact I think I did write a post the same!!!

My mum also used to wet on the floor. So many times I asked the staff to clean the room, which they did do but the smell never left it. My arguement was why they wouldn't put her in pads at night, they refused as they said she knew when she wanted the toilet.

It sounds as if your mum is aware and would have know she was in a pad, mine wouldn't. I doubt your mum would allow them to pad her up.

I also used to get "told off" a lot. She wouldn't believe anything I said. On quite a few occasions I had to leave early. Sometimes, not often she would come back to me for just a few minuites and say she knew she wasn't right anymore and ask why she was like that.

It's the illness. They really don't know what they are saying and how much it hurts us. Thats what I was told when I first used this site.

I also had a difficult relationship with my mum at times, that can make the whole thing seem even worse.

Just remember you are being a good daughter.

Take care of yourself, Rachel xx

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Unfortunately Mum has been unaware of her bodily functions for at least 9 months. According to her she never goes to the toilet and never has. When they hoist her she makes a fuss as she thinks she can walk and we think that is when the accidents occur.

I have decided to stay away for a week until she calms down and forgets that she is angry about something. She will probably have forgotten who I am by then again anyway.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I worry that in the present climate of extreme 'person centred' care, the resident's wishes are taken too much to the letter. It is neither hyginic or comfortable to allow your mother's room to get into such a state, no matter what her wishes. I would be telling the manager that regardless of what mother says, the room has to be steam cleaned and if necessary, a new carpet laid. If the home is part of a chain of homes, I would speak to the manager first and if nothing was done or excuses continued, then I would ask for the area manager's address and write to them.

I feel so much for both staff and relatives when common sense as in your mother's case seems to go out of the window with management in regard to basic hygine! Perhaps the home are using your mother's refusal to allow cleaning as an excuse.

If you inform them that you wish her refusal to have her room cleaned must be overrruled for hygine reasons, they will not be able to contine to ignore this problem and use your mother's refusal as an excuse.

xxTinaT

Hi Lemony,
I agree with Tina. The Centre for Policy on Ageing is a useful reference. http://www.cpa.org.uk
Specifically Chapter 5.8.2 http://www.cpa.org.uk/bhl/bhl05.html
"One of the most telling indicators of poor care and practice is a stale urine smell. It should not be present in any home. In all cases of incontinence, improvements can be made or the impact reduced. Advice and information should be sought from a local continence nurse or advisor."