Dementia care through rose coloured spectacles

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
HI i have just read about you and i think a lot of people will be mooving to cornwal, i for one, as i am in my 50s, just what the doctor orderd,as the saying gos,all the best, love miss cool. xxxxxx

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Miss Cool,thankyou for taking the time to read and post,you never know,our paths may cross:)

Karen,I value all of your feedback over all these months.

I love the themed day,watch this space !!!!!!!

The Cornish are a very posh nation,not like you Northerners:)

Actually I still have after 25yes the most northern of lancashire accents you can imagine,all I wanted was a steak pudding with chips and gravy,they don`t do puddings down here,my mum always brings me some when she comes down.

Regarding continuity of care etc,most people come once or twice a week,so the support workers come on the same day but for only once or twice,may change this Karen,its good to see what evolves,what works and what doesn`t.

It is really good to have a blank canvass to work on,so to speak.

Anyway,I will keep in touch,best wishes Karen,and a big thankyou.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Oh Angela,

You are so busy, creating the sort of care that would be utopia if it were the norm.

I have followed this thread with interest. I wish there was a way of making it available to all the day centres in our area, so that they could pick up some tips from you.

I'm getting around with TP leaflets but that's the best I can do.

What you are doing should be known about. It's wonderful.

Thank you so much for caring, and for taking the time in your busy days to post such positive things on here. I've noticed your support (indeed, I've been so grateful for it on my threads) and I know you are a person who really does care.

Thanks for being you.

Hugs,

Maggie

danny

Sep 9, 2009
I can`t believe it has been almost three months since my last post on here.Lots of things happening.

Tues coming LINK in Cornwall are putting on an event at the Eden project for everyone involved with dementia,service providers ,people with dementia, carers etc etc.The morning session involves guest speakers,professionals and an expert by experience.The expert is one of our day centre guests and he has assurred me he will give us plenty of advertising in exchange for extra puddings!!!!!
The afternoon is a sort of dementia fair where everyone providing dementia services can show the public what they do,give out information etc.

Yesterday,I had a letter from the Duchy Health Charity who have agreed to support our service by giving us an interest free loan of £10,000 ,payable back when we are in profit/self funding,they have given us five years so that is really good news,even the charities are getting canny,we were hoping for a grant:)

I have also just got the news that we have been successful in an application to the lottery for a new computerised reminiscence system for people with dementia.I will post more news on that later in Dec.

The model of community support we are providing here is extremely unique in that we are starting to provide support from initial diagnosis right through to end of life support at home,all under the same umbrella.The day care charges are going to help support all the low level support groups.

I will be taking this model throughout Cornwall.It is making such a huge impact on so many peoples lives and I can show that to do this you don`t need lots of admin/managers etc etc.

All the family carers are now beginning to get more involved.A sort of bartering system is taking shape.The people newly diagnosed are helping out by using their interests to engage our guests more advanced in their journey.

The more centres we open,the cheaper the price for our day care.
It is a really good model for care,any profits go back into helping the community,not fat cat directors.

I love my work and hope by writing these posts other people may take note.Exceptional care can be provided,not for profit and without huge office overheads.It is that simple.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Angela,

There is a thread on tp which discusses elderly care and virtually says this can't be done and that it is silly to expect care to be provided without making a profit.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear of someone doing just that, and at such a high standard.

I wonder if you qualify for any money from this so-called 'Big Society' idea? I can't think of a better candidate.

Thanks for all you do. You have restored my faith in human nature. I wish you had a branch up here.

Maggie

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Wow, Angela,
I've just read this whole thread and visited your websites - you are doing fantastic work and are an inspiration.

Hopefully your good practices will rub off on other care centres in the vicinity and then nationally. Your cause/business plan is certainly deserving of a grant etc.

I didn't realise your background and training when you asked for ideas for themed boxes, but I guess even the experts need to bounce ideas!!!

Hope you have a full 'register' at the moment and that the recession doesn't have too much of an impact on uptake.

I hope you don't mind me asking but as I am unable to give 'hands on' help to my M (live a plane flight away) I was considering how I could 'give time' to a local care centre/home
but would you as a provider say yes to a 'stranger' offering to read to/listen to music/make cards/crafty things with your 'clients'?
Because of my work I am CRBed but would there be an issue with me not having a relative/friend in the home?

Keep up the good work
Meercat

PS I don't live in Cornwall, before you ask if I can do gardening!!!:D

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Would this be a bad time to say "I told you so"? Because we all told you it would work out, when you first told us about your plans. It was a fantastic idea, and now it's all come together. I'm so pleased for you,
Love Sue xxx

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Maggie,thankyou for following my thread and posting.

Meercat,believe me I am no expert,I am learning everyday just like all of you.I`m sure if you offered any of the things you have just mentioned here any care provider would snap your hand off:D Thankyou for reading my thread.I have another workshop soon and all the tips you gave are now on a beautiful handout!!!

Sue,you have been always there for me and as always I really appreciate the time you take to read and post.Not quite full yet,but getting there:)

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Back again,had a week or two to reflect on the last twelve months.Learnt so much from so many different people.Just got my certificate from the AS confirming that I am now an Approved Dementia Trainer with them.Will probably have to get out there soon to do some freelance training to help cover the cost of this venture!!!!!!

One guest had Xmas lunch with the family,need to take my hat off to you all,I also need to thank my family because they had to put up with quite alot during the day:D:D Anyway,most of you will understand how the day went because you do it everyday!!

We are opening an evening memory cafe here in a few weeks time,we are very fortunate in that Cornwall has a network of supported memory cafes,co ordinated by an extremely motivated lady who works tirelessly with helping all of us.

We are still waiting for our new computerised system,supported by the Lottery.Must be in the backlog of Xmas parcels somewhere.

Lots of things in the pipeline,lots more battles to win.
Have met up with the AS locality manager for Cornwall several times and we are forming a good working partnership,that is how things should be.

Is this venture working,my god yes.I now need to quantify what we are achieving,not sure how to do that yet,really need a researcher to do a paper on us,anyone out there!!!!!

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
Hi Danny if i can be of eny use to you please use me. my time is running out but were ther is hope ther is life. the best of luck.

love miss cool.xxxxxxx

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Miss Cool,you have just made me cry.

It is because of people like you I get the strength and determination to continue,so you are helping,alot more than what you will ever know.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Danny, congratulations!:)

I know you had some tough times in the beginning, but you have achieved so much in such a short time.

I take my hat off to you.

Love,

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Hazel,thankyou for your kind words.

It is pretty tough going at the moment because we are not meeting all our overheads just yet but hopefully we soon will.

Most of my time at the moment is taken surfing the net trying to find funding,that in itself is a full time post!!!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Congratulations Angela - you have achieved so much. Your provision sounds just wondeful. xx

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks Izzy.I do come on here to continue my story for several reasons,to be encouraged by all you lovely people:),to keep a journal ,started this before I knew about blogs etc,if you all remember,I couldn`t even type when I first joined TP:D

The other reason is that alot of people use TP but don`t always log in,I hope that others have read this thread and maybe have done something similar,I have been contacted by several people who want to do something similar in other parts of the country and I have been more than willing to help them.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Brilliant, Angela!!

Knew you'd get there .... eventually ... well, you were guaranteed to get 'somewhere'!! :)

Keep up the good work. You'll be heading for a gong soon! :D

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Great to hear your update Angela. Congratulations on achieving so much.
I am looking forward to hearing more about the new reminiscing software. Sounds absolutely fascinating.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Angela, you have achieved SO MUCH since you first started sharing your story with us on TP.

Yes, there will always be more to strive for, that's the nature of the challenge, but for what you've been able to do so far,

W E L L .. D O N E