I am not too sure

sonia owen

Hi All,

I am not too sure if I will I will beable to explain things too well.

Mum has seemed to have really gone down hill since Christmas. What I want some advice on is. My Mum seemed to us to have a sickness and diarrhoea bug which has gone on for 4 days. She can't get to the toilet quick enough, so we have had to clean up the carpet, and change her clothes. I went to get her some thick pads, to help not to get it all over her night clothes.

Food i9s becoming an issue, as things don't seenm to smell quite how it should to her.I am not sure if it could be yet another stage of this horrible illness. I will have a look through some of the fact sheets and a booklet I have to see there is anything about it.
Would just like to think it was a bug, but when she has been sick, seem's quite cheery. Have her on boiled water and dry toast.

I will check on her in the morning. I think a chat with our CPN would put my mind at rest, or I haveto sort out and deal with what could be happening.Thankyou.

Did any of you see the peice about a quick simple blood test for Alzeimers being developed. It could speed up the development of new drugs. Its a USA team in Florida. One day scientist will find something to help I am sure.

Night Night
Love Sonia xxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My mother lost her sense of smell when she had dementia Sonia and I have a feeling my husband has lost it too as he didn`t smell burning toast which I could smell throughout the house.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Sonia,
I'm not sure about sense of smell, but my mother's sense of taste definitely went awry. She particularly was very strange on the subject of plain water and regularly used to deem the purest plain cold water 'disgusting'. I never did get to the bottom of it.

Let's hope it's 'just a bug', in your mum's case. Very good chance it is as there are so many about. Also, it always amazes me how very much improved one can feel straight after a gastric upset, when everything has come out of the system.:cool:

Hope you have a better evening and that tomorrow goes well.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi All,

Did any of you see the peice about a quick simple blood test for Alzeimers being developed. It could speed up the development of new drugs. Its a USA team in Florida. One day scientist will find something to help I am sure.

Yes, I read this in The Daily Telegraph on Friday I think when I was in a hospital waiting room, meant to check it out when I got home, thanks for reminding me.

Sorry to hear about your Mum Sonia, she does seem to have had an infection or virus since xmas.

Jane3006

Jan 31, 2010
Hi I would expect it to be a bug but who knows, I am sure time will tell. My mum lost her sense of smell which definitely seemed to affect her taste buds. Hope things improve for you

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
My husband's taste buds have been strange for ages now and he sometimes says things cooking (eg chocolate brownies) smell horrible. Fortunately he enjoys chocolate flavoured complan and most fruit + he drinks cranberry juice all the time but that's about it. He's lost quite a bit of weight - no bad thing as he's diabetic - but it's hardly a balanced diet :(.
If it is a dementia symptom/stage, it's more or less the first one he had.

BacardiGold

Oct 1, 2010
Northumberland
Never thought about taste or smell changes being a part of this illness but now many of you have mentioned it, it possibly could be.

Mum has complained about not being able to smell anything for a good few months and her taste sense has changed, she wouldn't eat garlic for love nor money a few months ago but now eats it with no problem. I suppose if she can't smell it then she possibly can't taste it.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Sonia Owen said:

I've just had a look at the Telegraph website (thank you Sonia) & here are some links to their articles:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...od-test-developed-for-Alzheimers-Disease.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...cts-of-Alzheimers-Disease-study-suggests.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ping-30-second-Alzheimers-screening-test.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8217130/New-test-combination-could-spot-Alzheimers-early.html

Sonia, I hope your mother improves soon, I know well how worrying & frustrating it must be.